What's new

More Superbits Coming Oct. 26th (1 Viewer)

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
For those of you who like Superbits such as I, according to davisdvd.com The following titles will be available on Oct 26, 2004.

Bad Boys II
Cliffhanger
Dr. Strangelove
The Guns Of Navarone
The Missing
Once Upon A Time In Mexico
S.W.A.T.
Underworld

Looks like I'm going to go broke on that day.

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
underworld. crap. i just double dipped and bought the new version....

since I have you here, is it really worth buying the superbits? is the quality THAT much better?

Gregory E

Second Unit
I'm just wondering which cut the Underworld Superbit will be. The theatrical or extended cut.....

I'll probably buy it either way since I didn't pick up the other two.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if it'd be worth picking up the Dr. Strangelove SB even though I have the Kubrick set and the transfer looks pretty damn great...

I wish every Superbit release would have the option of regular single disc and SB deluxe like The Patriot so that all the supplementals and/or commentary tracks could still be offered on the bonus disc.

How's the current transfer on the Cliffhanger C.S.?

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
Crap, I just bought Once Upon a Time in Mexico last week... I'll only double-dip if the video and audio on the superbit is far superior.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I love superbit titles, but the video on Underworld is top notch already, and so is the audio. I wasted(and it was a waste) my money on the extended cut. I'm not buying the superbit.

However, I might buy the swat dvd. The soundtrack just was not upto the experience I had in the theater. So if the DTS is right, I'll double dip.

Zachary Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, it was just released and already there has been a second edition announced. Sony would look ridiculous advertising a third version to come out just weeks after the second version.

Not that they don't look ridiculous in the first place...

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I don't like the Strangelove transfer as it is now. Lots of hair and debris all over the picture. I've heard before that it was going to be a superbit, which surprised me because I didn't think they did that for old non-widescreen mono movies. But if the transfer improves on one of my all-time favorite films (the extras on the current SE are pretty cool), I'll probably double dip.

BrunnenMatt

Agent
Thanks Robert, Once Upon A Time In Mexico and Bad Boys II sounds good.

Hellboy SB will come out eventually, going by an interview I read by the director, not sure if he meant extended or Theatrical! What version is getting SB for Underworld?

…BMatt

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Err... no it isn't. I have seen it a few times in 35mm and those prints were pristine with no hairs, scratches or excessive grain. The current transfer isn't that great.

I have heard that the Japanese Superbit transfer is superb. Hopefully, the region 1 edition will also be of high quality.

Dr Strangelove is one of the jewels in Columbia's crown and deserves a pristine, high bitrate transfer.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Hopefully CHTV makes the right decision and releases Dr. Strangelove as a Superbit Deluxe. Who am I kidding... :frowning:

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
Remeber when Criterion did their Spec. Ed. of Strangelove back in the early 90's? According to Maria Palazzola (a name familiar to any CC nut), it took them an unusual amount of time to get the transfer right. They originally did a transfer with a matted aspect ratio of 1.85:1. When Criterion sent it to Kubrick for his approval, he said that was wrong- and asked them to remove their mattes exposing his in-camera mattes. I remember how unusual that looked when I first saw it that way. But after seeing it another 100 times you forget they're there. I for one am quite happy with the current shape of the transfer. The current Spec. Ed. is quite crammed with extras. When Sony puts out their SB, I hope its the same director-approved transfer, just without the extras so it can "breathe" a little better. I also hope they don't monkey with the sound. Keep it mono. It's one of the great mono mixes I've ever heard. OK, I'm done.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Strangelove could definitely use a remaster. They've been using the old (albeit Kubrick-approved) transfer for a while now. I was kind of surprised that Columbia didn't follow Warner's lead and restore it, especially since they went to the trouble of producing special edition content and including it in the Warner box set.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

Let me clarify what Superbit Deluxe is since you obviously don't know. The Superbit concept is ALWAYS having the movie ONLY on one disc. A Superbit Deluxe consists of only the movie on one disc and the extras on another disc.

There's no good reason for CTHV not to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks