What's new

More SFM owned shows coming to BOD! (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
A ZIV Series, West Point was released a few months ago. Please tell me it's "Sister Series", Annapolis is owned by them and they intended to release it. :thumbs-up-smiley:
It is. But MGM stopped licensing.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
How do we know that's true? It sure gets repeated a lot online when that topic comes up as if it's a certainty, but what's the source that it actually originated from? Reaching for straws I suppose, but unless I see something that's indisputable, I'm hoping it's only a rumor that has seen a lot of mileage. They're not always accurate in the end.
They aren't coming out. They aren't going to air. If it was going to happen, they would have been part of the package that got sold to Cozi. The Thomas people look at it as a different show, which it pretty much is. You can't force them to make it available when they don't want to. The only reason first season Joey Bishop Show will be made available is because Joey died.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Thanks, but that doesn't answer what I asked. I inquired about what sort of evidence we have that supports this theory that Danny Thomas had it written in his will that these never be released and that his estate is only following his wishes.

Surely for something so specific that has been passed around for so many years as to why they remain in the vaults, there's something concrete that has been said publicly at some point that could support that statement. Almost tempted to pay a website $10 that claims it has his last will and testament available, among many others, just to see for myself.

You were quite clear that these weren't part of this deal and I was already aware that they haven't been made available to Cozi.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
LeoA said:
Surely for something so specific that has been passed around for so many years as to why they remain in the vaults, there's something concrete that has been said publicly at some point that could support that statement. Almost tempted to pay a website $10 that claims it has his last will and testament available, among many others, just to see for myself.
His Will and Testament is of public record,so it is out there. :)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i think danny thomas was fairly intelligent ?

did he have a will ? i would think with all of his assets, they would all be in trust.

elvis did leave everything by will. but then i dont he had the same level of business savvy.

elvis's will is on the computer.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Will these be the cut episodes on MOD ?? And ordered thru ???
AFAIK, the Real McCoys will be the same cut for syndication versions but the other shows, like Wyatt Earp, Joey Bishop and MRFD should be complete and unedited.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, but that doesn't answer what I asked. I inquired about what sort of evidence we have that supports this theory that Danny Thomas had it written in his will that these never be released and that his estate is only following his wishes. Surely for something so specific that has been passed around for so many years as to why they remain in the vaults, there's something concrete that has been said publicly at some point that could support that statement. Almost tempted to pay a website $10 that claims it has his last will and testament available, among many others, just to see for myself. You were quite clear that these weren't part of this deal and I was already aware that they haven't been made available to Cozi.
Who ever said anything about it being in his will? Who starts this nonsense? Maybe the family knew how he felt and are following his wishes or perhaps Tony Thomas doesn't feel that version of the show was as good. Whatever. They're not making them viewable again. Thomas Productions still exists so if you still have a bug up your ass about, write to him and express your displeasure. Personally, I think we have a better shot at eventually seeing MRFG.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Where can we buy the mod series of These shows anyone have any clue ? When are they available and from where??

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Neil Brock said:
Who ever said anything about it being in his will? Who starts this nonsense? Maybe the family knew how he felt and are following his wishes or perhaps Tony Thomas doesn't feel that version of the show was as good. Whatever. They're not making them viewable again. Thomas Productions still exists so if you still have a bug up your ass about, write to him and express your displeasure. Personally, I think we have a better shot at eventually seeing MRFG.
Why the attitude? I don't care for it one bit, but I'm going to do my best to not return it even though I sure feel like doing so.

But if we're going to be passing something around as fact, what's your problem with inquiring what the evidence is that we have to actually support that? Nothing at all wrong about asking questions, even if it's directed to you (Which that one wasn't, it was open to everyone).

And you're acting almost as if if you're cornered? If you don't have anything concrete that answers what I asked definitively, don't be afraid to just be honest and say so instead of lashing out for no good reason. And don't take it out of me when I point out that nothing you said was even applicable to my inquiry.

As for it being specified in his last will and testament, I find it extremely difficult to envision why that puzzled you so much and why you're acting as if I pulled that out of thin air. I can go dig up dozens of references that claim that and it was just mentioned by Randy earlier in this thread just a few posts before.

It's hearsay just like anything else is on this subject about Danny Thomas supposedly continuing a grudge from his grave to prevent these three seasons from ever being aired again. But in the absence of any real evidence, it's as accurate as any other story and is a common component of it.

No matter what form this request was supposedly made in, I'll ask again, does anyone have anything concrete that lends credence to Danny Thomas dictating that these seasons never be made available and that his estate is strictly following those wishes to this day?

That's what I asked. I never asked if Cozi TV was going to air them, if they were being remastered, if SFM was going to publish them on DVD, etc.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi leo,

i have asked that as well, on another mrfd thread.

i have never seen anyone present anything concrete about it.

so i am with you - i regard it as something that may be true, may not be.

i find it extremely difficult to believe that anyone would go to that extent.

so for me, i will buy if i get all 11 seasons. if not, i wont.

and i dont really think about it any more.

there is so much stuff to view, that i dont worry about some things that i like that i wont get to view again.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
LeoA said:
Why the attitude? I don't care for it one bit, but I'm going to do my best to not return it even though I sure feel like doing so.

But if we're going to be passing something around as fact, what's your problem with inquiring what the evidence is that we have to actually support that? Nothing at all wrong about asking questions, even if it's directed to you (Which that one wasn't, it was open to everyone).

And you're acting almost as if if you're cornered? If you don't have anything concrete that answers what I asked definitively, don't be afraid to just be honest and say so instead of lashing out for no good reason. And don't take it out of me when I point out that nothing you said was even applicable to my inquiry.

As for it being specified in his last will and testament, I find it extremely difficult to envision why that puzzled you so much and why you're acting as if I pulled that out of thin air. I can go dig up dozens of references that claim that and it was just mentioned by Randy earlier in this thread just a few posts before.

It's hearsay just like anything else is on this subject about Danny Thomas supposedly continuing a grudge from his grave to prevent these three seasons from ever being aired again. But in the absence of any real evidence, it's as accurate as any other story.

No matter what form this request was supposedly made in, I'll ask again, does anyone have anything concrete that lends credence to Danny Thomas dictating that these seasons never be made available and that his estate is strictly following those wishes to this day?
It's a theory, pure and simple. Conjecture based on rumors, which may or may not be based in fact. Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't. Only the Thomas people know for sure. People like to spout it as gospel truth sometimes to appear more "in the know' than the rest of us.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
The only thing to consider is:

1. The Jean Hagen episodes have not been rebroadcast for 50 years

2. The Jean Hagen episodes have never been in the syndication package

3. A previous attempt to release the show contained no Jean Hagen episodes

4. Current plans by the distributor to release the show will not include the Jean Hagen episodes

5. Both Hagen and Thomas have publicly acknowledged their mutual dislike.

6. You won't be seeing any Jean Hagen episodes

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Yeah, but like I said, the chances of these seeing the light of day again isn't what I asked about.

And if we were to talk about such a thing, the chances of season 4, 10, and 11 didn't seem much brighter just a short time ago. I'm not holding out much hope that something will eventually happen, but stranger things have happened.

But all I asked was if there was anything concrete behind the many statements that have been made over the years by fans as to why these first three seasons are off limits. I'm curious where it originated from and if it can actually be traced to the horse's mouth or someone closely connected to Danny Thomas, or if it's "conjecture based on rumors" as Frank said and which it sure sounds like it is.

So far, I've never seen anything anywhere close to substantiating it. Not putting forth myself as the resident authority about this program though. Just because I'm not completely buying it doesn't mean I'm not open to the possibility that it's true, I'm just wondering if there's something like an interview out there that provides some sort of confirmation.

Hence, the question. :)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
alp.pll said:
Spammer comment removed
They hold the largest untapped film library - you'd think with Comcast buying them they'd start a channel to compete with TCM

alp.pll said:
Universal using the same old B.S. line about their fire........... IF the original camera negatives still exist Universal has no reason not release ANY of the shows on dvd and/or Blu-ray because for asset protection they are digitizing the original negatives anyway.
They got insurance money, it should cover any of those in-house costs to make new transfers of anything lost.

los.sa

Auditioning
Real Name
Losa
Neil Brock said:
AFAIK, the Real McCoys will be the same cut for syndication versions but the other shows, like Wyatt Earp, Joey Bishop and MRFD should be complete and unedited.
They have all the uncut elements but word direct from SFM is they are in bad shape and would cost 2500 per episode to fix them good enough to release.
DeWilson said:
They hold the largest untapped film library - you'd think with Comcast buying them they'd start a channel to compete with TCM

They got insurance money, it should cover any of those in-house costs to make new transfers of anything lost.
Yeah they were SUPPOSED replace all the transfers they lost in fire but did not, well they shoulds be investgated for that because did not use the money for what its purpose was in all instances.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
John Karras said:
The only thing to consider is:

1. The Jean Hagen episodes have not been rebroadcast for 50 years

2. The Jean Hagen episodes have never been in the syndication package

3. A previous attempt to release the show contained no Jean Hagen episodes

4. Current plans by the distributor to release the show will not include the Jean Hagen episodes

5. Both Hagen and Thomas have publicly acknowledged their mutual dislike.

6. You won't be seeing any Jean Hagen episodes
I was reading an interview of Sherry Jackson, who stated during the interview, that Jean Hagen could not wait to leave the show, and was just honoring her contract. I suspect item #5, has more to do with the elimination of seasons 1-3 being shown, than any of the others.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
JoeDoakes said:
Universal said that they didn't lose original elements, just a lot of transfers. I think the thought is that if Universal would have to do new transfers to release something on DVD (especially an old tv title without a huge demand), Universal won't do it, and it will never be released.
Wow, that really sucks...I want the rest of Baretta!!!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It sure doesn't sound like their hatred lasted very long...

Brent S said:
I met Jack Elinson in 2000 in Mt. Airy NC at an ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW event. In addition to being a writer/producer on TDTS, he wrote for TAGS including Jean Hagen's episode "The Woman Speeder." (Danny Thomas was co-Exec. Producer of TAGS.)

Elinson mentioned that Danny made a point to visit with Jean on the Griffith set, and the reunion between them was friendly and sweet. Jack specifically pointed out that whatever friction there once was, by 1962 it was gone and forgotten.

los.sa said:
Yeah they were SUPPOSED replace all the transfers they lost in fire but did not, well they shoulds be investgated for that because did not use the money for what its purpose was in all instances.
I've never heard of insurance money having to be directed towards a specific purpose. They're being compensated for their loss, but what they do with that compensation is their business.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks