What's new

More Roger Corman Cult Classics coming from Shout! Factory this year! (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
5/4/2010

Rock N' Roll High School (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)
5/4/2010

Surbubia (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)
6/22/2010

Death Race 2000 (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)
7/20/2010

Forbidden World (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)
7/20/2010

Galaxy Of Terror (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)
8/3/2010

Piranha (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)
8/3/2010

Humanoids From Deep (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)
8/3/2010

Death Sport/Battle Truck (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)
9/7/2010

Starcrash (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)
9/7/2010

Battle Beyond The Stars (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)
10/5/2010

Slumber Party Massacre/Slumber Party Massacre II/ Slumber Party Massacre III
10/5/2010

The Evil/Twice Dead (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)
11/2/2010

Not Of This Earth (1988) (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)
11/2/2010

Time Walker/Dead Space (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)
12/7/2010

Lady In Red/Crazy Mama (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)
12/7/2010

Big Bad Mama/Big Bad Mama II Mama (Roger Corman's Cult Classics)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I am so jonesin' for Piranha and I haven't seen Galaxy Of Terror in like 25 years now, but I'm always in the mood for an Alien knock-off! I'll probably pass on Battle Beyond the Stars unless there's a significant upgrade - but the rest of them? Man, this is going to be an expensive summer.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I hope the original NOT OF THIS EARTH gets released at some point. Rumors at another board said the negative is gone and they don't have anything to work with.

I'll certainly be picking up the SLUMBER PARTY and BIG BAD MAMA sets. Hopefully HUMANOIDS will be the uncut version that was released in Japan.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I hope The Evil is the 1978 Richard Crenna haunted house flick. I thought New Line released this on VHS. Does anyone know exactly when the Corman-era New World Pictures ended - I'm confusing some movies with ones Anchor Bay released, like The Stuff, Dead End Drive-In, etc.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott

I hope the original NOT OF THIS EARTH gets released at some point. Rumors at another board said the negative is gone and they don't have anything to work with.

I thought I read that both versions were coming. Hope the rumor about the negative and prints are incorrect.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
The original NOT OF THIS EARTH is now part of a triple feature. ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS and WAR OF THE SATELLITES are the other two flicks. Rumor has it that it's coming out in January.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
didn't roger corman make a number of war movies as well. One of them off the top of my head is Saigon commandos.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Don't know about that, I'm only familair with some of his genre stuff.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Yep, Corman founded New World Pictures in 1970 and ran it until he sold it to three investors in 1983.

The investors were Larry Kupin, Harry E. Sloan, and Larry Thompson, who took the company public. Later that year, Thompson left the company to form his own firm. New World then formed three divisions New World International, New World Television, and New World Video.

By 1987 New World International had changed its name to New World Entertainment and purchased Marvel Comics, and tried to purchase two toy companies Mattel and Kenner. By 1989 they sold Marvel Comics to Ronald Perelman and Perelman acquired New World Entertainment latter that year. Also in 1989 they shut down New World Video and Sony bought non Marvell New World Television product and integrated into their company.

In 1993 New World Entertainment purchased Genesis Entertainment.and started purchasing broadcast companies that owned TV stations. The again changed their name to New World Communication. They next embarked on expanding their influence in purchasing several television stations including stations in Birmingham AL, Atlanta, Boston, San Diego, Cleveland, Detroit, Tampa, Austin, Dallas and St. Louis. New World immediately made a deal to become the Fox affiliate in most of the stations since they had just acquired the NFL rights and the big change started.. By 1997, News Corp had just about purchased all assists of New World Communications except a couple of stations that NBC bought.

Films 1970 to 1983 - New Horizons

Films 1984 to 1991 - Warner Brothers

Television divided up between 20th Century Fox, Warner Brothers. Sony, NBC, Universal, Disney/ABC and others.

That left Perelman with only Marvel and the TV shows and films that were produced directly from characters that Marvel owned. I guess we know where that went.

I was booking film for a regional film company in New Orleans when Corman's New World era ended. The Branch Manager was named Emmet Nicuad, who is now Vice President for Paramount Distribution after working for MGM and Dreamworks. Emmet insisted that I come over to the office one day and reluctantly I did. I should have figured something was up, for when I walked in there sat Roger Corman, in the flesh. I wiggled an invite to lunch and had a great time with famous gentlemen. If I could only have thought of the questions I have since though of to ask, it would have been perfect.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
The original NOT OF THIS EARTH as well as ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS are both available here in the UK - R2 of course.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I haven't seen Humanoids since cable at my cousins in the early 80s. Was always a favorite. I probably rented Deathrace on VHS in the 80s. I'm sure I saw Pirannah...and Starcrash gets a lot of good words from bad movie buffs.

Would LOVE to get a few of these in time for October viewing. But I'll be waiting for reviews and cheaper prices.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
It is the uncut version, here's the back of the DVD. The only scene that was restored was a decapitation that occurs during the rampage at the end of the flick:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That just looks so unfamiliar. I remembered this film waaaay different. It was probably 83 that I last saw it.

"Vic Morrow (Message from Space)" ??? Is that the same Morrow from TZ The Movie and Bad News Bears?

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Originally Posted by Radioman970

That just looks so unfamiliar. I remembered this film waaaay different. It was probably 83 that I last saw it.

"Vic Morrow (Message from Space)" ??? Is that the same Morrow from TZ The Movie and Bad News Bears?

Never saw the BAD NEWS BEARS, but, yes, he was in TWILIGHT ZONE, THE MOVIE. Time has a tendency to do that, I was just starting high school, I think, when I saw HUMANOIDS on cable. Helluva of flick, though.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by SWFF

Never saw the BAD NEWS BEARS, but, yes, he was in TWILIGHT ZONE, THE MOVIE. Time has a tendency to do that, I was just starting high school, I think, when I saw HUMANOIDS on cable. Helluva of flick, though.
He's good in BNB playing an overbearing father/coach.

I think I was 14 when I saw it. My cousins had all the channels years before my family got cable. Seeing boobs and naked butts (and etc) on TV was the most amazing thing in my limited history I think. Heh heh!

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis

Originally Posted by Ed Moroughan

I guess Battle Beyond the Stars was delayed?

From what I know it was delayed because of "missing elements," and as of the last news I heard it was slated for Blu-Ray as well as Standard DVD. I suspect it will eventually come out next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks