What's new

More power needed for Tempests? (1 Viewer)

Jake K

Stunt Coordinator
IIRC = If I remember Correctly. I don't think you are an idiot, and I know idiots, I live in California!

For those who can, vote for Arnold!

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
36 volts? Sounds like it is near clipping (36^2/4 = 324w). That's a lot of power! Anyway, you should be getting a heck of a lot of sound from the Tempests, and you are probably near their limits. What is the SPL at that point anyway? :eek:

"Right but that does not matter."

What I mean is, you're right about multiple frequency components causing a final wave with higher amplitude than the individual components. But real signals consist of an infinite number of components where the amplitude of each component is really small... and as others have been trying to say, the overall amplitude is totally arbitrary ("volume knob").

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
One day, when you commit the time and effort to understand how waves combine in a small signal situation (to be fed into a preamp properly designed to be mated with an amp who is designed with input voltage limits that yields enough headroom for the amp to operate within its designed limits), you will see how you are confusing small and large signal situations in your examples.

Overdriving an amp's input is not a difficult feat (which is what is happening with the combination of the snare and bass drums).

Have you considered what white noise is or does? White noise has equal energy per frequency. It would seem playing white noise would just cripple an amp because it's got so many little bitty frequencies in its combined signal, and no amp should be pressed to amplify all those frequencies because it would run out of power so soon! That poor amp would be working so hard, it's just unfair, I say, unfair! I imagine the amp would be sweating if it were forced to play white noise at loud level all day long! The cruelty of it all just absolutely astounds me!

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
Overdriving an amp's input is not a difficult feat (which is what is happening with the combination of the snare and bass drums).
No it's not, the point I was trying to get across was the fact that I could play one at a time without a problem but when playing both at the same time the input would clip.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
So, David, what are we all arguing about? :)

I think the clip light signifies if you are getting close to clipping. If the average output is over 300 watts (less than 2 decibels short of maximum), that's reasonable. I wouldn't worry about it.. but damn, that must be loud!

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
I think the clip light signifies if you are getting close to clipping. If the average output is over 300 watts (less than 2 decibels short of maximum), that's reasonable. I wouldn't worry about it.. but damn, that must be loud!
I'm not going to worry about it and yes it is loud, but you should know that neither of my subs are in a corner each one is about 5 feet from the side walls and my room is 20 feet wide so I put them in the null points in the room to cancel out the nasty 50 hz room mode I get when corner loading.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
So, if you ever feel like really getting a move on with those things, just move them into a good corner and get your geeky friends to pitch in and buy you a BFD for your birthday. (I am absolutely serious, that did happen with a friend of mine, who has a single Tempest. Of course, I was the one who suggested we buy a BFD and only two other people had the slightest clue what it was. Meanwhile, in return they bought be a video card.)

Now all you need are other speakers that can play so clear and effortless. Rock on!

David Giesbrecht

Second Unit
Now all you need are other speakers that can play so clear and effortless. Rock on!
I might be working on those this winter actually if I can get more drum students rounded up and make some cash.

I am thinking about doing some active 3 way's with Hypex active home amps (adire stocks them) and some Hi-Vi drivers. Should be fun! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks