What's new

More Night Court?? (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by BobO'Link

While I'd very much like to own S4 I'll stick with S1-3. I'll not be purchasing any titles offered via MOD unless they are true bargains and under what I'd pay for a pressed disk. For "Night Court" that means under $14 as that's the most I've paid for any of the pressed seasons. Frankly I doubt I'd pay more than $10 for a MOD season of "Night Court". $34.95 plus shipping is outrageous! I just don't understand how the studios justify the higher prices for MOD even if it is a niche product that doesn't sell as many copies. Of course this is the same studio which prices BBC series as if the disks were made of gold.

MOD is not available in Canada. Here is the response from the studio:

You may try amazon website
We are very sorry, but we cannot ship DVD or Blu Ray discs outside of the US due to licensing and distribution regulations. These products are also formatted differently for different regions of the world and the version that we sell would not play on DVD systems built for your region.

We apologize, but we do not have international release information. Please contact your local retailer for this information. Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience, but we hope you will look at the many other items that we have that are able to ship internationally.

You would think Canada would not be an issue, since the dvd format is the same. Anyway, i would not buy Night Court even if was available, because it would cost over $50.00+ for the season. I like night court, but i would only pay $30 or less for a season. It should be price similar to cheers.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I thought Canada was NTSC and part of Region 1 anyway. Sounds like a pre-formed response that these companies send, rather than writing a reply to your specific question.

I hate when I get those.

I'm still on the fence about the MOD season 4. I think I spent $27-29 for prior seasons, so the cost is not that much more (and is probably the same MSRP of the prior seasons, anyway).

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

Yeah, I thought Canada was NTSC and part of Region 1 anyway. Sounds like a pre-formed response that these companies send, rather than writing a reply to your specific question.

I hate when I get those.

I'm still on the fence about the MOD season 4. I think I spent $27-29 for prior seasons, so the cost is not that much more (and is probably the same MSRP of the prior seasons, anyway).

Malcolm, i agree with you. Her response did not deal with the issue, but passed the buck. I was not surprised with the response, because it was scripted. I was not planning to buy this set from MOD anyways, because of the price. I am only willing to pay around $35.00 for this set including taxes. So, if the price is above that then i will not buy it. I am not going to pay a premium for Night Court. It was a good show, but, not a great show.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't think they're BSing about the licensing and distribution thing, though.

Remember all the shows that got released in R2 before R1, most times with original music intact?

Also, the guys over at Shout have given the same reason for some of their Shout Select titles not being available to Amazon Canada.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

Actually, shipping is free... or, at least it was when I bought my copy last night.

And $34.95 for 4 discs? A little expensive, sure. But, it's a little over 8 bucks a disc, so I don't find that too outrageous.
For a pressed set $34.95 is "a little expensive" and would typically be the MSRP. The MSRP for S3 is only $29.95. Considering that if this were a pressed set it'd be selling for ~$22-$25 almost everywhere I maintain $34.95 for a MOD set, even with free shipping, is outrageous.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by BobO'Link

For a pressed set $34.95 is "a little expensive" and would typically be the MSRP. The MSRP for S3 is only $29.95. Considering that if this were a pressed set it'd be selling for ~$22-$25 almost everywhere I maintain $34.95 for a MOD set, even with free shipping, is outrageous.

Sure, if retail stores cared to carry older shows, and people cared to buy Night Court, the show would be cheaper.

But, that ain't happening, so I'll take what I can get.

Also, the MoD S4 of Night Court isn't that bad, especially when compared with shows like Sony's upcoming season 3 of the Boondocks. That particular show is 50 bucks for 15 episodes on 3 discs... that's around 300 minutes for 50 bucks... and Amazon has only discounted it to 40 bucks.

In comparison, Night Court is cheap... even MoD.

Also, compared to other WB MoD titles, Night Court is cheap. Usually, they sell one movie for 20 bucks.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, I pulled the trigger on this as they were offering free shipping and I tracked down a 20% off coupon online (both expired 9/30, sorry...but if you do a Google search for "Warner Archive coupons" you may find more). So I got it for around $27 shipped, which is on par with the other seasons I've purchased.

My first encounter with MOD. We'll see if it's worth it.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
At least they recognize there is a demand for the show. An on-demand release is a great solution for a show like Night Court, one with a devoted following, though not considered a guaranteed "sell-through" in stores like CSI or Friends, as examples.

The fourth season has the cast that would remain for the rest of the show's run (and the one I loved best), so yes, I would buy it, with a coupon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks