What's new

More hints at Star Wars 30th Anniversary DVD set? (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping that the Imperial March will be added to ANH for the 2007 boxset.

Here's an example I made awhile back:

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Word around the campfire is that the biggest selling point of the 30th anniversary set will be the deleted/alternate scenes "archive" of sorts that the set is rumored to showcase, as well as a new feature length documentary. Like with the Prequel Trilogy DVDs, all the scenes will be "completed" by ILM. The only thing that is really "set in stone" is that TPM will now feature a CG Yoda instead of the muppet that was used originally.

Lucasfilm probably won't announce the set until sometime this Spring, and even then, they'll probably only hint at what will be included in the new set. We'll probably have to wait until sometime during the Summer to get the full skinny on what new material will be featured on the set.

Lucas probably had a field day mining the Lucasfilm Archives in assembling all the deleted or alternate footage from all six movies. If this does feature on the set, it'll be interesting to see what is chosen to be included. A new documentary is probably a given. I'm also curious to know what sort of new tinkering (if any) that he's done the movies themselves.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I think this rumored release should come with an editing kit so everybody can make the movies they want.

Serioulsy, I am sure every sound effect exists in a .wav file. Most characters must have been digitalized at some point. Ships are computer models. This isn't as crazy as it sounds.

Not only could you make Han shoot first, you would be able to change it to a young Greedo from the Phantom Menace cut scenes!

All kidding aside, Robert Rodrigues would have done this.

Matt

ToddJ

Second Unit
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there supposed to be a 3D version of the original trilogy that was going to be in theaters this year or next?

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Yes there was. I was under the impression that Lucas was only thinking of doing a limited release of the 3D flicks since there aren't a whole lot of theaters nationwide that accommodate the format.

Lucasfilm has been pretty tight-lipped about their plans for the 30th anniversary (other than announcing Celebration IV), but they should be announcing something sometime soon.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Richard:

Neat work on adding the ROTS scoring to the ANH Vader v. Obi Wan duel.

For the 30th anniversary set, I am most interested in "extras": deleted scenes, alternate takes, original documentaries, new documentaries, etc.

I am especially interested in some true documentaries on the filming of AOTC and ROTS, as they are the only two episodes without documentaries focusing on the actual filming.

A new TPM transfer and anamorphic OOT transfers would be nice, but I am actually more interested in additional extras, which have been pretty sparse on most of the SW DVD releases, IMHO.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Really? Each release has had hours of behind the scenes stuff and a commentary. It's not the LOTR DVDs (and I don't think LFL has any interest in ever making that type of DVD) but I don't think it's sparse either.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
After "The Beginning" documentary on the Episode 1 DVD and the feature-length "Empire of Dreams" doc in the OT set, I think some of us had our hopes up for similar long-form documentaries for Episodes 2 and 3. Short little web-docs just ain't the same thing.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I really think so. And it's not just the LOTR DVDs: the Alien boxset and the Superman boxset have much more material than we've ever seen on any version of the SW DVDs.

As Craig said, "Beginning" style documentaries for AOTC and ROTS are a must, as well as the old documentaries from the OT, as well as deleted scenes from the OT.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I'm already pissed because I know it won't be coming to Blu-ray this year, meaning I'll buy the SD set, and then turn around a re-buy the set if Lucas ever releases it to Blu-ray.

George Lucas owns me. :frowning:

In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind if he added more stuff to the OT since he's already messed with things already. I have the unaltered trilogy now, and while it's not of the quality we all wanted, it is surprisingly watchable. I'd still love it if he included remastered versions of them in the big set, though, but as others have said, it's not likely.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As for the type of package we'd like to see, I vote for something either along the lines of the Ultimate Superman Collection or the SNL First Season, both of which were very cool. Also, there was a deluxe box set of George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh last year which was very cool too.

Simply putting Amray cases in a cardboard box doesn't seem special enough anymore.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Japan will probably get a Vader head, (with sound effects) to hold all the DVD's while stateside we get squat. :P

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I'd like to see a dedicated 2hr documentary for each film, or at the very least an equivalent to 'Empire of Dreams' about the prequels. Deleted scenes for the original movies have got to be in there, as well as any remaining deleted scenes for the prequels. A cleaned-up Phantom Menace would be great too.

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
Well since we're all dreaming, I'd like to see all of the deleted scenes from both trilogies with the option to seamlessly branch them into the movies. Just a thought.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well, if we're dreaming... I'd like my set to be dropped off by 80's Slave Leia.

;)

I'd LIKE to be surprised that we're already seeing Lucas-bashing, anticipation AND disappointment before we even KNOW anything... but I'm not.

If we don't see an announcement at C4, I'll be stunned. I'm sure the set will be very cool.. and won't please everyone. I'm sure lots of fans will get their Jedi robes all knotted up.

Me... I'll likely buy it... again. Sigh. ;)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Now that "The Force Unleashed", the new video game for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, has been announced for November release I think it's a safe bet we know when the DVDs are coming. :)

Eric Gripp

Agent
Richard Kim, that music doesn't work in that scene. At all. All the music you used from the Original Trilogy was used in parts that don't contain dialogue, and for a very good reason.

To anyone who thinks we'll see a limited theatrical release.....don't hold your breath. Very unlikely.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

What will this be... the third year in a row we'll see a game tied to the release of a Star Wars DVD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks