What's new

More Fox Noir in September, including Boomerang (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I've got copies ordered from DVD Pacific as well as Deep Discount. I hope that I get at least one copy. If I get both, I'll gladly sell one to whomever doesn't get one.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I received an e-mail solicitation from the Foxstore on a sale of certain titles: MOONTIDE, ROAD HOUSE.........AND BOOMERANG!!!!!! were on sale for $11.99 each with other Fox titles. $10 off orders over $60 at the Google checkout.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Could the whole “Boomerang” had been pulled again be a hoax started by someone that has a few copies they wanted to sell on eBay?

There is only one major internet DVD retailer that does not advertise “Boomerang” for release on September 2nd, but they do advertise the film from “other sellers” at triple the prices.

I am looking forward to hearing if everyone got their orders and looking to see if it appears on the Barnes & Noble shelf in two weeks.

ted:r

Second Unit

I received my order from DVDPacific last night. And no Eddie Murphy on the cover
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Since I'm an anti-conspiralist, no, I don't think Amazon (I assume that was the major internet retailer implied) is trying to...well, do anything unethical or even a tad bit shady. I would tend to think they have certain parameters that may be somewhat stricter than other retailers. (not that I'm implying other retailers are less than 100% ethical. Not in the slightest.) My main thought is the revenue stream from one (lets face it) obscure film just wouldn't be worth the trouble. This isn't the President being assassinated. This is one little movie that didn't and won't shatter the world.

Though, thinking of it, and presupposing I am wrong, wouldn't it make a neat Oliver Stone flick? :laugh:

ted:r

Second Unit

Hmmm. You know, sadly, I know the feeling. But I'm taking my medication now and am not as obsessive about such things as before. :D

Taking a wild guess, I'd think its a marketing move. Someone who hasn't bought any of the films before in the series (sad souls indeed) might pick it up, look at the spine and say "Hmmm...25....well, I haven't seen the first 24 so maybe I'll pass. Now where's that 'Love Guru' CD I saw before?"

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Sorry if I was misunderstood. I do not think Amazon did anything wrong or unethical since they do not control the market sellers, it just seems funny the way all of this has happened since Boomerang is showing up in people's hands without Eddie Murphy's face on the front.

I just noticed that the market sellers with copies dropped the price when the film was announced and then raised the price when the news started hitting the net that the film was pulled again. Now the prices are down.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member

Interesting that you can actually get this title via the Canadian Counterpart.

Just might go for it.

Update : also showing up at dvdpacific

JimKr

Stunt Coordinator
:emoji_thumbsup:Just received my copy of Boomerang from DeepDiscount. It indeed has the 16 on the spine whereas Roadhouse and Moontide are no longer numbered as the reviews mentioned.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

My copies of Moontide and Roadhouse arrived today. Not only are they NOT numbered, but the spines look completely different from the first 24 volumes. I mean, they don't match AT ALL. Film title (lifted directly from the cover poster art) against a black background, with a little picture at the bottom. I mean, they look great (quite like a Warner title, actually, except for the addition of the mini pic), but they stick out like a sore thumb on the shelf next to the first 24. I'm usually not particularly anal about such issues, but this one bugs me. Why even put the Fox Film Noir banner on it at all?

Oh, and the disc art is different too. *Sigh* Oh well. I guess the important thing is that Fox is still putting out noir titles....

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Picked up Boomerang, Road House, and Moontide from my local Costco for under $9 each. They also had a few of the previous Fox Noir releases. FWIW, I much prefer the new artwork sans numbering and "angled one-sheet" cover. It's more flattering and, yes, more similar to the WHV template.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I got my three today, can't wait to watch these. Is there anything missing on the BOOMERANG disc from the previous leaked one, or were these just sitting in the warehouse?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

It appears to be the same. The fact that several major retailers have never listed Boomerang as available leads me to believe that Fox simply released what was already produced and warehoused and there will be no further copies.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I watched Moontide and really enjoyed it.

The feature on Jean Gabin and the making of Moontide was also interesting. They mentioned that Japan's attack at Pearl Harbor stopped the plan of using Santa Monica's harbor (IIRC) for the water scenes. This might have worked to the film's advantage as the set shots of the harbor/moorings as that somewhat fake look that adds to the film's dreamlike quality.

Why they decided to call the lead (Jean Gabin) Frenchie and then Bobo ... that's another mystery.

I have no idea why Fox went away from their numbering system. Some people are completist others might like to give the numbers someone doesn't have as gift ... bottom line is I have NO idea what Fox thinks they gain from eliminating the numbers even if they wanted new graphics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks