What's new

More Esther Williams in 2009! (1 Viewer)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
This interview with George Feltenstein is mainly about classics on Blu-Ray, but it does mention the following regarding an upcoming standard DVD set:

That is MARVELLOUS news indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Wow, didn't see that coming! I figured with the limited classic releases this year, Esther would have fallen off the radar.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I wonder if this is a reference to some people who felt the transfer of Ben Hur was too warm, too much orange / yellow? Kind of like The Searchers?

I think the 4 disc set was a vast improvement over the original release.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
In December Warner should release a Blu-Ray classics boxed set:

Singin' in the Rain, An American in Paris, The Wizard of Oz, Ben Hur, North By Northwest, How the West Was Won, Gone with the Wind.

They could even team up with hardware companies for players to include a voucher for the box, or at least a discount of some sort.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Oh that is excellent news indeed! Hopefully MILLION DOLLAR MERMAID, the under-rated JUPITER'S DARLING, and the very entertaining DUCHESS OF IDAHO will be included.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

The article said "Singin In The Rain" needs to be redone from scratch since its current master is 1080i not 1080p . Sadly it will probably be many years until Singin' goes blu.

From the article:

And Warner has plenty of those on tap. In addition to the Astaire-Rogers canon in 2010, Feltenstein said the 1954 'A Star Is Born' with Judy Garland, currently being remastered in 6K resolution, will also see a 2010 release, and 'Citizen Kane' will celebrate its 70th anniversary with a Blu-ray bow in 2011. Other titles in the pipeline include the 1959 'Ben-Hur,' which was already remastered in 1080p, but is being redone because, Feltenstein says, many viewers were displeased with the standard DVD transfer. 'Singin' in the Rain,' previously mastered in 1080i in 2001 is unsuitable for Blu-ray in its present form, so it's gone back to square one for a "profusely expensive" 1080p makeover. 'The Music Man,' 'Doctor Zhivago,' and 'Meet Me in St. Louis' also will see high-def releases in the next two to three years. And in honor of its 40th anniversary, 'Woodstock' will arrive on Blu-ray later this year in limited numbered editions with two hours of recently discovered performances. The classic concert film was originally shot in 16mm, so beware, there will be noticeable grain.

Always excited reading about this but still no exact release dates, pricing etc..

Thanks OP for linking to article.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

I am especially hoping for Pagan Love Song, Easy to Love and Skirts Ahoy! but I will be happy with any others too!

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
Because of the economy and my rapidly dwindling bank account, I'm severely limiting my DVD purchases. But I'll fast to save up for another Esther Williams set!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Just based on the line-up of the first Esther Williams set, I assumed they were planning a second since primo titles like "Million Dollar Mermaid" and "Easy to Love" were AWOL, but it is nice to hear something concrete.

Regards,

Corey

Screenwriter
Wonderful news. I'm hoping for:

-Million Dollar Mermaid
-Easy to Love
-Jupiter's Darling
-Thrill of a Romance
-This Time For Keeps

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Awesome news! I hope it comes in time for summer! It isn't summer unless I watch some of her movies!

On the Dangerous When Wet DVD they had a whole bunch of Esther trailers that weren't included in the first set! Maybe that's a hint of what's to come? I remember some of the trailers included were....

Pagan Love Song
Million Dollar Mermaid
Duchess of Idaho
Easy to Love

I hope they include Jupiter's Darling!

Charles H

Screenwriter
They could probably fit PAGAN LOVE SONG and TEXAS CARNIVAL on one disc comfortably as a Williams/Keel double feature. They are both short movies: PLS-76 minutes;TC: 77 minutes. JUPITER'S DARLING is Williams' only widescreen film. It signaled the end of the MGM musical, as well as being Williams' exit. As an oddity, it's a lot of fun and it's got Keel as Hannibal, the Champions in some great dance numbers, as well as a worthy supporting cast (George Sanders, Richatd Haydn and you get to see William Demarest in a toga!)

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I realize Warners has their hands full since the Warner Archive go-live, but during the Warners' chat it was mentioned that the Esther Williams Volume 2 was due out this summer.

Has anyone heard any additional news yet about the films and the extras?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The single disc Ben Hur had color and softness that was almost as bad as the old laserdisc version. the four disc set was head and shoulders above tanyother version and was certainly NOT soft. They both had a sound oddity. At the beginning fo the appearance of the Star of Bethlehem, the chorus is NOT THERE and slowly fades in - NOT the case with the original film where the chorus is there, loudly, from note one. Indeed, the single disc Ben Hur, on the french language track, is exactly the correct way !!

Esther Williams - Jupiters Darling - hope they do some restoration onthe color, as it has looked bad for years. Hop eit has the filmed outtake number the laser had.

Pagan LLove Song- this fim ahas a bunch of unreleased cut numbers that Turner DOES have. Hope they put them on the disc.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Has anybody heard anything new about this set? I'm anxious for another set!

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
I have to disagree. While the 4 disc was better than the earlier release, it has SERIOUS color fringing issues and certainly did not, in any way, resemble the original 65mm elements. In fact it looks far worse than some of MGM's current releases taken from 35mm reductions of 65mm originals. For me, it is painful to watch on a large (5'x13') screen. I watched it only once, and can't bring myself to watch it again.

Needless to say, really looking forward to a new transfer done with state of the art film scanning system.

Vern

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks