What's new

More Elvis on the way! (1 Viewer)

Aki K

Agent
It was announced (or leaked, rather) during Elvis week that Warner will release 6 new Elvis DVDs on Jan. 8th 2005. These are: "Charro", "Kissin' Cousins", "Live A Little Love A Little", "Stay Away Joe", "Tickle Me" and "Girl Happy".

After this patch all of Elvis' movies will be available on DVD. (With the exception of Elvis on Tour and This Is Elvis)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Excellent! I've been enjoying the recent batch of Elvis films from Warner, and they've done a great job with the transfers and even the cool packaging! Thanks, WB :)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Here's hoping Kissin Cousins and Girl Happy are NOT edited like they were on vhs. ....whole scenes and songs were cut out.

p.s. thanks dan.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

What about "Kid Gallahad" . One of my favorites. It should be owned by Warners so maybe it will be included in this batch too.

Charles H

Screenwriter
KID GALAHAD is a United Artists picture--currently owned by MGM (which very soon might be owned by Warners).

Aki K

Agent
Kid Galahad has been released as a R2 dvd by MGM, I don't know about the quality as I still am content with my VHS copy...

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I thought with the upcoming release of the Elvis films in June - that all elvis films would be on dvd.
Guess Not - what else besides Follow that dream still needs to be released?

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator
Follow That Dream has already been released by MGM back in April or May. Hopefully when Warner Bros acquires the MGM catalog we can see re-releases of Clambake, Viva Las Vegas, Frankie and Johnny and Follow That Dream 16 x 9 and a proper release of Kid Galahad.

I'm very excited about the Elvis releases as I've seen these movies pan and scan for so many years.

Aki K

Agent
One should never leak any news, as EPE is slowly learning...

From elvisnews.com:

Here is EPE's answer regarding the six Elvis movie from Warner Bros. which were announced for release on DVD this January. "Last August, Warner colleagues gave us the information about the 6 DVD releases prematurely. The release was tentatively planned for next month but actually was not locked in. The release is now delayed with no set date announced. The moment Warner gives us official information, we'll post it in News on our site."

Sam_Nas

Grip
Although I haven't seen any Elvis movies, he's been recently voted as one of the worst rock-star actors of all-time. But looking at how some people are excited to get some of his movies, I guess maybe he isn't as bad as I assumed?

MADONNA VOTED WORST ROCK-STAR ACTOR OF ALL TIME

MADONNA's often-criticised movie career has landed her a new title - as the Worst Rock-Star Actor of All Time.

While the Michigan native has enjoyed phenomenal success as a pop superstar, Madonna's efforts on the silver screen have been met with an icy response from both critics and fans - most recently with her embarrassing flop SWEPT AWAY.

Music magazine BLENDER, which conducted the poll of 25 stars, says, "Invariably cast as an irresistible femme fatale - BREATHLESS MAHONEY in DICK TRACY, SUSAN in DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN - yet cannot 'do' sexy.

"Instead, she adopts the glassy-eyed expression of someone on a cocktail of prescription drugs and delivers her lines as if reading aloud from the letters of a stalker."

The SPICE GIRLS landed in 19th place, MICK JAGGER at 17th, STING at 24th and OZZY OSBOURNE at 21st.

The top 10 is as follows:

1. MADONNA
2. BOB DYLAN
3. MARIAH CAREY
4. JON BON JOVI
5. ELVIS PRESLEY
6. BRITNEY SPEARS
7. VANILLA ICE
8. NEIL DIAMOND
9. GENE SIMMONS
10. MASTER P

(RGS/MXB/CM)

StevenFC

Second Unit
Well, he certainly has done some bad acting in his day, but he has also done some good acting as well. I think his bad acting can mostly be attributed to the fact that most of the movies he made were simple-minded drivel and he knew it. Elvis essentially acted to the level of the movie he was in. He was excellent in King Creole, Jailhouse Rock and others, and indifferent in most of the singing playboy movies that he was clearly tired of making.

I think he should be way down on that list; because he did have talent, it just wasn't always on display.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Elvis was a much better actor than many of those rock stars, when he wanted to try. He could be awful when the scripts made him sick and he just didn't care. Other times, he was quite capable. He had a flair for comedy too, I always thought.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Elvis isn't anywhere near the top of the list. He wasn't a great actor in the technical sense, but he had good looks, charm, and real screen presence. Plenty of "real" actors have gotten by with less. He wasn't as good an actor as Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin, but he was better than most rock stars turned actors.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
With rare exception, Elvis was put in films with very poor scripts. Films like KING CREOLE or JAILHOUSE ROCK give a hint of what he might have been capable of. VIVA LAS VEGAS is an above-average film, and whereas it doesn't show off Elvis' acting chops, he's terrific in it, and the energy generated by Elvis, Ann-Margret, and the great songs, elevate it to a new level.

That's ONE Elvis movie that the WB people should remaster in 16x9, and give us 5.1 while we're at it....It's always been a big seller. They'd surely make their money back!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Off-off-topic.......

Another very intriguing "Radio Spirits" CD collection (with 98 CDs!!) is this "Shakespeare" mega-set, which was released in March 2003, and goes for $480.00 (but you can get it for about $100 less than that @ Amazon). .......

http://radiospirits.com/details/deta...24&l=1&source=

>>> "For the first time, all of Shakespeare's plays are available on CD in a complete set, produced by a single creative team. Included in this lavish collection are 38 plays -- the romances, comedies, and tragedies, on 98 CD's for 101 hours of listening pleasure. Each play is uncut and fully dramatized, performed by an exquisite cast of today's finest Shakespearean actors. Complemented by original music composed by Dominque Le Gendre, and recorded at one of London's leading sound studios, the performance is unparalleled!"

Aki K

Agent
A small update on this matter:

apparently at the "Elvis Insider's Conference" during Elvis week in Memphis Tom Brown from Turner Enterprises spoke regarding the 6 DVDs that were announced last year for release in January '05. He said they all have been mastered and are ready, but supposedly there are legal problems with a couple songs. He knew of no date for release, but indicated they will be released.

Here's hoping for an imminent release! (Well, early 2006 at least.)

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
I agree with those of you you pegged KING CREOLE and JAILHOUSE ROCK as superior Elvis films, and wanted to kick in LOVING YOU (my fave) and FLAMING STAR as two other Presley pictures well worth seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks