What's new

more doggie problems (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
man this dog is killing me :angry:

aside from the little behavior quirks which people seem to think she'll grow out of...

she seems to have some urinary problems, like she pees, a lot, and often. Like every 30 minutes she rings the bell to go out, and it seems like when she has to go it's NOW or she'll have an accident. And she pees every time she goes out, a BUNCH. It's like she's not concentrating it.

so I took her to my vet, ran a urinalysis, ran bloodwork, and everything was normal, it's not either type of diabetes, nothing turned up funny in her bloodwork, so we put her on antibiotics for awhile to see if it's an infection but there wasn't any change, and the vet pretty much doesn't know what's going on. :angry:

she also leaks in her sleep, it's like she has no bladder control and relaxes and it lets go. Which sucks because she likes to hangout and watch movies with me on the couch.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I would control the amount of water she drinks. Don't let her drink any water after say 8pm. Then just let her out a few more times before putting her to bed.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Problem is it's not just at night, if she lays down for a quick nap she'll leak, then she'll feel bad about it and try to lick it up. The problem is compounded by her need for activity, then her need to crash right after.

I'm already $200 bucks into vet bills to find out she doesn't know what's going on :angry:

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Perhaps she has the doggy equivalent of overactive bladder? I know in humans there is no real test for it, it's just diagnosed based on symptoms.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
it could be, I really don't know. I've tried to research it online but most of what I find refers to either cushing's disease or some sort of doggie diabetes. The vet says she's too young for cushings, and the tests don't show any diabetes.

It seems to me like she's not concentrating her urine, she goes a LOT every time she goes out, and it's really light compared to my other pup that doesn't go often, much, and it's really thick yellow (and kills grass like you wouldn't believe)
the vet has a test for that where they lock her up with no water and keep weighing her until she's lost xx pounds, but I really don't know what that tells me once it's done, other than how much shorter my bank account is. ;)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

We spent over $5000 trying to save our Scottie from kidney failure and the only thing I regret is that they couldn't save him.
All the money in the world couldn't replace him; I miss him so much

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
she was watching the oscars with me last night and was OK. She likes to climb up on the back of the sofa behind me and put her nose in my neck :angry:

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Dogs don't need to rest on sofas, floors are just fine for them. And dogs that pee uncontrollably when they sleep, uh no :D

As others have said, maybe try to control her water intake a bit, other than that I'm stumped. You can call the humane society (dumb friends league?) here in CO and ask them for free. They helped us quiet down our grouchy chow and make him a lot nicer. Your problem doesn't sound physchological, but anything is worth a shot (and it's free.)

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
sounds like the vet is missing something. that's not normal. what's the age of the pup?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
of course it isnt.
She's oh, about 8 months now.

Guess I can try to get a second opinion from another vet, this one is usually very good.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
that's the stuff that turned up in a search. Side effects restlessness and something else, I'm not sure that's good for an "active" girl, but I'll give it a shot.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I tried something similar to that, she just chews at it or pulls it off, she's not down with the doggie diaper :-

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ah, the joys of dog ownership.

Perhaps a doggie diaper AND one of those big collars that they wear after surgery so they can't get at the stitches.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
hehehe, I'm tempted to get her an e-collar just for the pure entertainment of it. Does that make me a bad person?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
got a supply of PPO (or a generic anyway, begins with an R) we'll give it a shot, it was cheap.

She wants to do a bunch of tests to find out why her urine is so dillute, but being the cheap guy that I am I wanted to try the $30 bottle of pills first :)

Thanks for the suggestion Julian

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
How dilute is it? If it's very dilute, the phenylpropanolamine probably isn't going to help. In your first post you said a urinalysis was run and everything was normal, so I'm a little confused. Did you get the PPO from your vet, I hope?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks