What's new

Directors MORE DIRECTORS CHECKLIST SERIES - Volume #243 - THE FILMS OF ERIC ROHMER (1 Viewer)

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
added:

Claire's Knee (1970) - 7/10

My Night at Maud's (1969) - 8/10

Collectionneuse, La (1967) - 6/10

Une étudiante d'aujourd'hui (1966) - 5/10

Nadja à Paris (1964) - 6/10

The Girl at the Monceau Bakery (1963) - 8/10

Suzanne's Career (1963) - 8/10

Présentation ou Charlotte et son steak (1960) - 6/10

Véronique et son cancre (1958) - 4/10

whew!

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
UPDATED:
Véronique and Her Dunce (1958) :star: :star: :star: (Own the DVD)
Seen 20
Own 12

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Lady and the Duke *** out of ****
A Summer's Tale ***1/2 out of ****

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
UPDATED:

Paris Seen By (1965) (segment "Place de l'Étoile") :star: :star:

Seen 22
Own 12

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Brook K,
Excellent, brief, personal overview of a master's career. Have not been able to find Veronique et son chancre, or Paris vu par... Can you lead me to a source?
I only disagree with you on your ratings of The Marquise of O, and My Night at Maud's.
My wife and I saw Maud in the early '70s, in our early '20s, and had no clue that it was so talky. However, the seductive talk about mathematics and Pascal, the philosopher, was so...well, seductive, that we were thoroughly entranced, and as satisfied as Trintignant, who nonetheless never had the physical experience he had yearned for. I'd give it an A.
I read Kleist's The Marquise of O and found the movie to be a faithful rendering in visual terms of the novella's themes. I shall never forget the way Rohmer lets us and the Marquise discover that her angel is also her demon. I'd also give it an A.
Thanks, Brook, for making me re-evaluate Rohmer's work after all these years. I have seen all of his features, and I'm missing only a few of his early shorts. I also collect as many as I can find.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, I really never write about movies in that way anymore. I have a much more time consuming job, more family demands and other interests then I had back then. Whenever I re-read these old posts, it sometimes feels like another person wrote them.
As for sources, Six in Paris was released on DVD in R1 by New Yorker Films, I believe in 2008. I just rented it from Netflix a few days ago. Vernonique et son chancre is included as an extra in the Arrow Films 6 Moral Tales Tales DVD box set and the Criterion Collection Moral Tales set.
As for Maud's, it was one of the first Rohmer films I saw, if not the first, and I wasn't yet attuned to his particular style. I got caught up in the content of the conversations rather than the rhythm and what's going on beyond the words. I really need to watch it again but have never gotten around to revisiting it.
For Marquis, I really like the film. It has many admirable qualities, it simply falls short of my highest ratings. I've also never read the book or delved into any of the history/backstory so I can't comment there. I have managed to see it 2-3 times and it, like many others, improves with each viewing.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
BrooK K,
Thanks for the information. I'll try to get a friend to rent Six in Paris for me.
Reading your comments in other directors' threads were very interesting. Our tastes run in similar ways. Will miss your insights.
Jose

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks