What's new

More Confused (Long) (1 Viewer)

no respect

Agent
Real Name
Randy Colin
In my research i've learned that my HTR may be too small to have rear surround speakers. When the back row leans back in thier seats they will be nearly touching the back wall. So I thought I'll install bipoles closer to the center of the room. I've deceided to go with PSB's for my front and rear speakers, now bipole speakers. Reading PSB's overview it says they are great speakers when you place them BEHIND your center of listening. Now I don't know what do to. Any help always appreciated.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If you are already running a 5.1 system, then I have to ask why bother with the 7.1 rear surrounds? It doesn't sound like it's worth the effort in your environment, especially considering most movies are 5.1 anyway. On the other hand, if these speakers are meant to be the 5.1 surrounds, be aware that they are supposed to be placed on the sides, slightly behind the listener; not in the rear.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I have to agree with Al. If your room geometry doesn't lend itself well to a 7.1 speaker configuration I wouldn't worry about it one bit. A good 5.1 system can work wonders. The benefits of adding rear surrounds (7.1) is only apparent in larger rooms.

For what it's worth, I have a pair of PSB S5 bipole surrounds (or whatever was equivalent about 5 years ago) to the sides of my listening position and they sound great. My room is large, and I have my (ancient) PSB Alphas on the back wall at least 6 feet behind the sofa. They aren't used that often and I have no plans to upgrade those speakers ever.

no respect

Agent
Real Name
Randy Colin
Thanks for the feedback. It's actually calming as I was freaking out when I realized that the headrests would reach nearly to the back wall. I was going for a 7.1 but now realize that's not practical. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks