What's new

More 50s and 60s Shows Coming From Shout! (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I think the most obvious guesses at this point, based on what Brian Ward has said, are:

1) Dennis the Menace. This one has been hinted at by Brian and I'd be shocked if it's not the series he said hasn't had a season set release yet.

2) Hazel. This one also seems to be a solid bet.

3) Father Knows Best. It's only got one season remaining, and Brian has all but said it will happen, he just doesn't have a date yet.

4) Mister Ed. Not anything I'm interested at this point (they are now up to S5), but I could see it continuing.

Reaching further, I'd say Dobie Gillis has a shot, albeit a rather longer shot than the others I've mentioned. But I think any of the five are solid bets.

I'm not sure whether or not even a new series like Dennis will automatically get a full retail release as opposed to a Shout Select release though. That might be the future for Shout and we may have to either suck that up or not purchase. I hope I'm wrong because I'd much rather these series be retail releases, but I'm just not sure that's going to be the case going forward.

Gary "all hail to Shout for keeping 'Vintage TV' alive and well in 2010/2011" O.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I wonder if Shout would release Dennis the Menace in a complete series set like they did Leave it to Beaver. We would not have to worry about the title ending up as a Shout Select, or worse, stalled out.

In its original run, I did not like the show as much after Gale Gordon became a regular. I have not seen the show since then, so I might have a different opinion now. At any rate, that would not stop me from getting all the seasons.

My biggest concern with Shout is a Season 1 release with cut episodes. They have been doing better lately, but they need to make sure it doesn't happen again.

In addition to Dennis the Menace, it would be great to get releases for: The Jack Benny Show, Bachelor Father, Dobie Gillis, The Life of Riley, Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, The Danny Thomas Show, Pete and Gladys, The Jackie Gleason Show which featured the American Scene Magazine years.

And if Shout delves into animation, I would love to get some Terrytoons like Deputy Dawg, Heckle and Jeckle and Tom Terriffic.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Originally Posted by Gary OS

I'm not sure whether or not even a new series like Dennis will automatically get a full retail release as opposed to a Shout Select release though. That might be the future for Shout and we may have to either suck that up or not purchase. I hope I'm wrong because I'd much rather these series be retail releases, but I'm just not sure that's going to be the case going forward.

Gary "all hail to Shout for keeping 'Vintage TV' alive and well in 2010/2011" O.

I would be fairly certain that if the series is released in season sets (as opposed to a complete set), then at least the 1st season would be a full retail release. I think Shout want to try a release in the general market first to see how well it does before going down a 'Select' route. Releases such as 'Dragnet', 'Adam 12' seem to confirm this where sales have been good, so they have remained as general releases (compared to something like 'Mister Ed', 'Simon & Simon', 'Mr Belvedere' etc where later seasons are being released as Select titles because general sales fell with each season release).

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
If Shout wanted to release Jack Benny, when would it begin? It started out as a biweekly show and evolved a lot over the years as it moved away from its radio roots. I have never seen the syndication package for JB so that would answer the question. I was a fan of Dobbie Gillis when CBN showed it in the 1980s. I have never heard of Pete and Gladys.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The only thing that could be released as far as Jack Benny is concerned would be the filmed shows that were owned by Universal and syndicated. Those I believe are separate from the live shows Jack would do on a fairly alternating basis.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
You literally took the words out of my mouth.
I'd also add: Five Fingers, The Third Man, The Blue Light and The Man Who Never Was

Originally Posted by Peter M Fitzgerald

For me, the ultimate would be a Shout release of T.H.E. CAT...1950s version of DRAGNET...CORONET BLUE.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by westumulka

I would be fairly certain that if the series is released in season sets (as opposed to a complete set), then at least the 1st season would be a full retail release. I think Shout want to try a release in the general market first to see how well it does before going down a 'Select' route. Releases such as 'Dragnet', 'Adam 12' seem to confirm this where sales have been good, so they have remained as general releases (compared to something like 'Mister Ed', 'Simon & Simon', 'Mr Belvedere' etc where later seasons are being released as Select titles because general sales fell with each season release).

[/QUOTE]

I agree that it only makes sense for them to release a Dennis the Menace Season 1 via retail. That would be the logical choice. I'm just saying that while it's probably what they will do, I'm not blind to the fact that the entire MOD format seems to be the wave of the future. So nothing would surprise me.

Gary "I'd love to think season sets of Ozzie & Harriet are on the horizon, but I'm 99.99% sure they aren't" O.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by ChrisALM

And if Shout delves into animation, I would love to get some Terrytoons like Deputy Dawg, Heckle and Jeckle and Tom Terriffic.

1969 HOT WHEELS and SKYHAWKS!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
There's another Sony property that Shout! should consider: The Farmer's Daughter with Inger Stevens and William Windom. For those you not familiar with the show, it's like The Nanny, but set in 1960s Washington with a Swedish beauty taking care of the house and kids of a widowed Congressman (yes, she winds up marrying hin in the final season!). It was actually based on the popular 1947 movie which won Loretta Young an Oscar for playing the Katy Holstrum character, though in that movie the Congressman (played by Joseph Cotten) was a bachelor.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis

There's another Sony property that Shout! should consider: The Farmer's Daughter with Inger Stevens and William Windom. For those you not familiar with the show, it's like The Nanny, but set in 1960s Washington with a Swedish beauty taking care of the house and kids of a widowed Congressman (yes, she winds up marrying hin in the final season!). It was actually based on the popular 1947 movie which won Loretta Young an Oscar for playing the Katy Holstrum character, though in that movie the Congressman (played by Joseph Cotten) was a bachelor.

While I would really be thrilled to see Farmer's Daughter released, I can't realistically think that will ever happen. Right now, my hope is that when it starts running Jan. 1st on Antenna TV, they run them complete and I can DVDR the series and get rid of my old 22 minute CBN copies of the show.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see the Farmer's Daughter as well, Inger Stevens performance was awesome. I'll never forget the "flashback" episode they did, where Stevens, beside playing her own character, played Morley's (Windom's character's) late wife as well.

She did such a good job, changing her mannerisms and losing the heavy Norweigian accent, I had to do a double take to check to see it really was her.

Highly innovative idea for who played Morley's late wife.

James

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
I'd be impressed if they were able to get their claws on T.H.E. Cat, or The Dean Martin Show. A lot of good titles have been mentioned previously, but i'll throw out another -- the Rogues. It has a near-complete release in europe.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'm getting excited here, although it's probably premature. Over on the Shout board, in another Internet guise of mine, I requested "Dennis the Menace" and "Hazel." I pointed out several similarities and coincidences between those two shows and jokingly added that it kinda gives you the chills.

Brian Ward answered, admittedly ambigously, "I think you may be onto something there."

Since I want those two series so much, I'm interpreting that in the most favorable way -- that it was Brian's way of telling me something without really telling it.

Then again, he might have just been answering humorously, with nothing really meant by it. It's so hard to tell on the Internet.

However, later in the thread, he said that some of their new acquisitions have already had DVD releases before -- that would fit "Hazel," which had only Season 1 released -- and at least one has not -- which would fit "Dennis the Menace."

I'm more likely than not all wrong about this, but like Gary OS said above, it would seem that "Dennis the Menace" and "Hazel" might be two of the most likely series we can expect from Shout.

Joe "this might all be wishful thinking on my part" L.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ah, so that was you who posted that interesting comment on the Shout board. Good show, Joe. I can't come to any other conclusion than the one you've mentioned: Dennis and Hazel have to be the two top bets at this point. And I'm in for both if they are released!!!

Gary "Shout (and Timeless) have really hit some home runs this year - and I look for both to do more of the same next year as well" O.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Lets hope that if they do release those 2 shows, that they give them the same great remaster jobs, that Leave it to beaver sets got.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
I too would love to see "Dennis" and "Hazel" brought out! And could we hope for "Here Come the Brides" Season 2? That would make for a very merry Christmas!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks