What's new

More 50s and 60s Shows Coming From Shout! (1 Viewer)

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Buried on one of the message boards, it was leaked that Shout! will be releasing some new acquisitions in 2011 from the '50s/60s. Any guesses?

I am thinking perhaps Dennis the Menace and Hazel. Green Acres? Or maybe Petticoat or Beverly?

Have they obtained any CBS/Paramount properties as of yet? I seem to recall they acquired something in the fall (but I forget what it was) and this bode well as it looked like CBS was now partnering with Shout! along with Sony and Warners.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Brian Ward has already said we should expect "Dennis the Menace" sooner rather than later.

"Dennis" and "Hazel" are both very high on my wish list.

Since they're both showing up on the new Antenna TV which begins on January 1, 2011, it's clear that something's being done with them.

I can't wait to find out, that's for sure!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
If I were to list which 50s sitcoms I would want the most, the list would be Dobie Gillis, People's Choice, How to Marry a Millionaire, Hennesey, Jack Benny Show, Our Miss Brooks, December Bride, Burns and Allen, Bachelor Father, Love That Bob, Life of Riley.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I've got my fingers crossed for season sets (particularly the early years) of THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE & HARRIET; I'm tired of the public domain dvds and the 'best-of's', although Mill Creek put out a nice set a while back.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Jack Benny and Burns And Allen are really the only two 50s comedies left that would excite me. The rest I don't think I'd be inclined to blind buy.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P

Jack Benny and Burns And Allen are really the only two 50s comedies left that would excite me. The rest I don't think I'd be inclined to blind buy.

Really, Jack? You wouldn't pick up season sets of Ozzie & Harriet? Not that it's ever going to happen, but I'd jump on those in a heartbeat. Same with Dennis the Menace, Make Room for Daddy, Bachelor Father, and Dobie Gillis, along with more Donna Reed, Phil Silvers, Real McCoys, and Mr. Peepers. I'd also consider a few of the lesser known, short-lived series depending on price.

Gary "I still think there's some nice 50's gold that needs to be 'mined', so to speak" O.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Yes, to all of these!

Especially for Dobie Gillis, Make room for daddy/Danny Thomas Show, Jack Benny show and Love that Bob...

I find it much easier to complete watching a half hour show DVD set on a daily basis than to find time in an evening to watch a hour show or make an appointment with myself and plan ahead to sit down and enjoy the great 78 minute Virginian episodes. As for Shout, I'm currently enjoying my Larry Sanders Show 17 dvd set tremendously!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Donna Reed and Phil Silvers I wouldn't mind continuing with but I don't see them as being viable candidates in these shows that could come out. It's been too soon since S1 of Phil Silvers and I doubt CBS/Paramount would let go of the license that quickly. Donna Reed we know is not going to continue with Shout!. Danny Thomas finding its third home for its third release would be okay. But for the rest it's just a matter of total lack of familiarity. I have seen Ozzie and Harriet more times on vintage Tonight Show programs as guests and heard them more times as dramatic guests on "Suspense" (radio show) than I have ever seen episodes of their sitcom in my whole life, which says it all as to whether that title would excite me in a big DVD release.

For totally unreleased sitcoms on DVD later than Benny/Burns and Allen, only "Car 54 Where Are You?" is a grail title for me and that's supposedly going to be out next year from another company.

For stalled sitcoms, I would rather see the long abandoned "Joey Bishop Show" make a comeback. I'm surprised no one's ever put in a word for that one more than six years after now defunct Questar gave us the imperfect second season release (which only let you see the title sequence once when you loaded in the discs).

But other 50s sitcoms? I'm afraid I never got any exposure to them in reruns even in the 70s and they're mostly alien titles to me in terms of viewing experience. I'm more inclined to give a 50s dramatic show I've never seen a blind buy than I am a sitcom.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I hope Shout! picks up the remaining seasons of Green Acres. I would think that show would be on their list given they have already started on Mister Ed, a sitcom from MGM.

I think Dennis the Menace has a good chance of getting picked up. Afterall, Shout! did release Leave it to Beaver.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Regulus

LASSIE! All 19 Seasons of it.

Not a bad idea - especially those later post-Ranger shows that haven't seen the light of Day in decades!

SONY/Colpix has some of the best untapped half-hour shows of the 1950's-1960's.

I'd love to see Captain Midnight released, but legally they could only do them as "Jet Jackson" unless they made a deal with the current rights holders.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Does anyone think it is safe to assume, that if Dennis The Menace is 1 of the titles to be released, it Wont be Shout website exclusive? I hope that at least season 1 dvds is available at amazon. Shout doesnt ship outside the US , thats why Im hoping.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'd bet on it not being a Shout Select title if it happens, at least for season 1.

I can't imagine them ever licensing a property that they consider so marginal where it's going to be a Shout Select product from day 1.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
As Shout! has an existing relationship with Sony, Sony titles seem to be the most likely for now, although if the Beverly Hillbillies were to show up I could not be more delighted. Dennis the Menace has been suggested by Shout! which is great as it is my #1 title of Sony's Columbia library that I would like to see put out. Hazel also would be a delight. TBS showed Hazel at 3:00 or 4:00 back in the early 1980s. I had never heard of it then, but I really liked it. For fans, I would be happy to see Lassie come out, but I got bored with it when I was eight (I watched the original run broadcasts Sunday nights), so I doubt that I would probably skip it.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If Shout were to take care of more Sony titles, I'd rather see them rescue "Barney Miller", "Fantasy Island" and "Hart To Hart" from purgatory than do something from the 50s-60s at this point.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'd like to say to Shout!, if they read this board, that I'm hoping for "Dennis the Menace," or the continuation of "Hazel."

However -- please, don't let this be another case where the first season is cut prints -- people complain about it -- then we hear, "Oh, we didn't know, sorry" -- and the second season is done correctly.

That has happened too many times!

Try to get it right from the start this time. You'd think by now the first thing on your mind would be that fans want complete original prints, and you'd double and triple check to be sure that's what you've got!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
For me, the ultimate would be a Shout release of T.H.E. CAT, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen. I'd put Roald Dahl's WAY OUT in the same category.

Maybe they've picked up ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS (and THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR) from Universal. I'd be over the moon if they released a remastered, complete series collection of the half-hour version on single-sided discs, ala LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, then we could dump the previously-released DVD-18s of the first two seasons! An ideal extra to the HOUR series would be the filmed episodes of SUSPICION (from Hitchcock's production company, and also controlled by Universal), which amount to just under a half-season's worth of episodes. Also the Hitchcock-directed episode of FORD STARTIME THEATER, "Incident on a Corner", also a Universal property. A big "Hitchcock On The Small Screen" box collecting all this stuff would be several kinds of awesome. Maybe Time-Life should take a whack at it, if Shout somehow can't.

Official DVDs of the 1950s version of DRAGNET (via Universal) would be very welcome.

If they've somehow partnered with CBS/Paramount, I'd hope that RAWHIDE would resume, ditto Seasons 2 & 3 of the remastered ONE STEP BEYOND, along with DVD debuts of CORONET BLUE and THE IMMORTAL

Considering some of his previous efforts at BCI and getting the 1960s Gamera films released by Shout, it'd be really cool if Cliff Mac & co negotiated with Tsuburaya Productions and got proper discs of ULTRA MAN, ULTRA SEVEN and especially ULTRA Q out in the U.S.A.

If they put out THE JACK BENNY SHOW, I'd buy... not so sure I would for the other sitcoms mentioned, unless a miracle occurred and DOBIE GILLIS was released under their imprint.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

I'd bet on it not being a Shout Select title if it happens, at least for season 1.

I can't imagine them ever licensing a property that they consider so marginal where it's going to be a Shout Select product from day 1.

Thanks, I was hoping for that kind of answer. Lets hope Shout sees it that way , if Dennis is 1 of the titles coming.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

I'd like to say to Shout!, if they read this board, that I'm hoping for "Dennis the Menace," or the continuation of "Hazel."

However -- please, don't let this be another case where the first season is cut prints -- people complain about it -- then we hear, "Oh, we didn't know, sorry" -- and the second season is done correctly.

That has happened too many times!

Try to get it right from the start this time. You'd think by now the first thing on your mind would be that fans want complete original prints, and you'd double and triple check to be sure that's what you've got!

Couldn't agree with you more. They cut a deal, get excited to get the show out quickly and then they screw it up with cut episodes. Then tell everyone how sorry they are and fix the problem from the second season on. Its happened enough times now that its a pattern with them. They obviously have no one there who does quality control and checks their transfers prior to pressing the discs. Really, how hard is it to see that a show who's episodes run 25:30 has all of the episodes running 25:30? For Shout, apparently, very hard.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Well, we know it all depends on access to the original, uncut episodes -- of which may not be easily accessible if already extinct. You'd think the original producers or rights holder would have maintained the full-length episodes but as we've heard from horror (for film and tv fans anyways) stories of the past, many things are just trashed, poorly stored or maintained, and just excised for extra commercials. Timeless, admittedly a small company, was one of those who've gone public when it is trying to collect better and more full-time prints for TV shows.

We're all waiting with baited breathe, with our own personal lists. I'm just glad that there are companies out there -- Shout, Image, Timeless, to name a few -- who still think there is a reason to continue giving us what we want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks