What's new

Monster power conditioners???? (1 Viewer)

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
looking on eBay, on Monster power conditioners..
..some prices seem, too good to be true... compared to retailers.

Looking at; HTS 5100MKII vs HTS 1000MKII

anyone see a difference ? Hear a difference ?
this is...
on a 61" DLP HDTV // 7.1 surround.
appreciate any feedback from users of these..

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
With these Monsters vs. nothing at all? With these Monsters vs. other conditioners? Or with these Monsters bought at a local store vs. identical ones on eBay?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
These listed vs nothing at all. Monster is the only one I looked at, just wondered if you had a opinion as to there performance,, The expensive models vs the entry level.
Stage 4 filtering vs stage 2 filtering, DLP 61" samsung 720p , only watch high def programming. via monster HDMI.
with 7.1 surround,..polk speakers,..
upconverting DVD, panny s77s. until, the blueray comes down under a thousand bucks..

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Thomas, WOW !!..................
I see some really good deals on eBay for some of these..HTS 5100reg 699 for 259.
??
Makes you wonder if there are, ....less than perfect made models being dumped.? I think I may take a chance on one, I went so far as to call Monster and ask if they were aware of imposter stuff being sold, but they never heard of such a thing. So I think I may take a chance.
How do you know If it is even doing what it says though, all internal filters functioning etc..
I'd have to open it up for a look, but I would not be able to test it.
Just thought I'd ask you what you thought of these HTS 5100MKII at 259.00
plus shipping, etc.. Off eBay ,You know when they say it seems to good to be true??
HTS 5100MKII stage 4 , v 2.1 , new in box.
open box models as low as 199.00
3500MKII , stage 3 v 2.0 open box 99.00 bucks ......stage 3 vs stage 4 ??

Can you see a difference between stage 2 / stage 3 / stage 4 / etc...
or is it more for extra isolated outlets..protection etc.. ??
that's the big question for me.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Everyone is dumping these because they were very overpriced and didn't sell.

I'm not positive but I think the primary difference between the 5000 and the 5100 is simply the digital readout. And think that $259 + shipping is overpriced compared to the Belkins
Don't fixate on the difference in stages. There's not that big a performance difference between the higher order filters.

You can see the filters in the pics, each 'filter' consist of a series of caps (yellow rectangles) with chokes (donuts with copper wire wrapped around them) in between the caps. The black squares in both are relays, the gray or green cylinders are ferrite core RFI chokes. The orange or bright blue disks are MOV's (surge protection)

I have a 3500II and one of the Belkins. IMO for the minimal difference in price the Belkin from Provantage is the best deal of them all.

The Belkins isn't as macho looking as the Monster, but it's a more sophisticated unit.

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Thomas, Huge help..
I never heard of Belkin, you know the Monster name here is popular, and the impressive monster appearence, and packaging on everything, cables etc..
gets everyone (NEW) excited thinking all this high end connection is going to impress.
I simply would like to get the most out of my new 61" DLP samsung HDTV.
although it is already stunning.
thanks for everyones input....it is so much appreciated.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Belkin is a well known name too, but it's primarily associated with computers.

The Belkin PF60 includes a more complete cable package than that included with the monster.

The PF60 also allows you to independently select which outlets are 'switched', and the amount of delay when those outlets power up. In addition the switched outlets are controlled by a sequencer for proper power-up/power-down operation.

So as I posted above it's a far more sophisticated piece of equipment than the monster. But if you're more interested in how it looks than how it functions buy the monster.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I think ThomasW is right regarding the dumping of the Monster's on ebay. For a while it was just Panamax and Monster controlling the lion's share of this particular market. And it's an enormously lucrative market. Now you've got Belkin, APC, and Tripplite coming in and hopefully that'll result in a nice price war and feature set competition. BTW, ThomasW, thanks for posting the pics of the innards. It'd be nice to see the esoteric innards of the uber-audiophile units.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Thanks for those pics, Thomas. I saw the Belkin PF60 at Pricegrabber from ProVantage for ~$172 shipped. I was honestly nervous with such a low price from an internet-only retailer.

Fortunately about three business days later it's here. While I have yet to open the box, the box looks to be in perfect condition. The unit appears to be new and whatnot. Can't beat that price much.

I looked at Monster, Belkin and Panamax, but this price ended up winning (along with the build quality, obviously).

hendricksonET

Stunt Coordinator
I got a PF60 from Gateway.com for 193 +shipping +taxes. Turned out to be around $230 or so. I actually ordered it Saturday and by the time their webpage said it was ready to ship from the factory it was at my back door. (tuesday)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks