What's new

Monster Cable, Is It Worth It? (1 Viewer)

Pabloant

Auditioning
Real Name
Anthony
I'm shopping around for HDMI cables and of course everywhere I looked Monster Cable is there. It's almost like they dominate the market. I have used Monster Cable in the past, but lately I've been seeing some mixed customer reviews on Monster Cable. Many of those say that Monster Cable is overpriced, which it is, and you can get the same results from a lower-priced cable. If possible, can I get some feedback from the people in this forum. Also, I'd like to know about and where to get these cables that perform just as well.

Thanks,

Anthony

troy evans

Screenwriter
Monster Cables are good cables and they are way over priced. You can find good cables from Blue Jeans Cables website. They are every bit as good as Monster. In my opinion, an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable. Please don't spend $100+ on one of the Monster brand ones. It's just not worth it. The only thing I can think that Monster does have is a lifetime warrantee. You can find a great HDMI cable for around $25 to $35. I bought a Monster 400 series HDMI at Circuit City for $129.99 and a Phillips HDMI at Wal-Mart for $24.96 and I can't see one lick of difference in performance from either.Cables at retailers are a racket game. It's funny how some cables cost damn near the price of the things you're trying to hook-up. Don't fall for it.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The smart money is usually the custom sites for ANALOG cables.

I'd go with www.bluejeanscables.com for both analog and DVI or HDMI cables. The turn-around is fast, there are lots of happy customers here and the owner is a member.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

I have nothing to add here, but just wanted to voice my agreement with Troy. I just purchased a 35 ft HDMI cable from the Optimized Cable Company for $89.95 including shipping. It works great and I don't even want to think about what Monster would have charged for the same cable.
Gunny

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
No. Having worked as a salesperson, I can tell you that 15 years ago, Monster had a 300% markup over cost and you were not allowed to put them on sale. One set of Monster cables could make up for a half dozen sales of low margin items (the retailer required a saleperson's profit margin be above a certain percentage). This was in the days of $25 audio cables being expensive. Imagine the price markup on a $150 HDMI cable? They make good cables, but so do any number of companies for 1/10th the price.

MacD

Agent
Real Name
Dan McDuffee
Concur that Monster is a waste of money and wanted to throw another source out there that seems pretty good. mycablemart.com Got a 35 ft. HDMI 1.3 cable from them for $78 (without shipping).

fcheshire

Auditioning
Real Name
frank cheshire
Monster is certainly proud of their brand name. I would save your money and put it toward something else.

JustinHEMI05

Agent
Real Name
Justin
Yup agree with everyone. Another happy blue jeans customer here. I ALWAYS get my things within a day or two and their folks are REALLY knowledgeable.

Justin

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Anthony,

It looks like you have an answer that everyone, including myself,
agrees upon....

Monster cables are a total waste of money.

I am not blatantly trying to push one of our advertisers, but
it has been mentioned that BLUE JEANS can give you cables that
are just as good for a lot less. I have their cables in my home
theater setup.

MikeMeehan

Stunt Coordinator
another vote for monoprice. Great cables,great prices and cheap shipping, what more could you want.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
In addition to what everyone here has already state, with which I concur completely, remember that HDMI cables will either work for the distance and resolution in question, or they won't. There's no performance difference to be had. Either you get the whole image 100%, or it's very obvious that the cable is insufficient because you get no image at all, image dropouts, or lots of sparklies from dropped data.

That all being said, a quality HDMI cable is very important especially if you are going longer distances at higher resolutions (1080p for instance), where the data rate is high. However, quality does not necessarily mean more expensive. But if you pull an HDMI cable and have been using it for 480p or 720p or something, you may find it insufficient at distance for 1080p, so do be aware of that.

mastermaybe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
james
if you really have nothing better to do with 80 bucks, send me a crisp benjamin and I'll send you a cable that god couldn't differentiate from the monster.

I'd list my address, but I think you know better by now.

james

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I, too, can recommend Blue Jean Cables for HDMI cable. I purchased one from them for only $35. I have been pleased with the look of my HD TV with them. IMO, Monster Cable is overpriced.

bradhart

Agent
Real Name
Brad Hart
if it doesn't have to go very far I just replaced my father in laws 12 foot expensive as hell HDMI cable purchased at best buy when he got his over priced 50" tv with a 10' foot one from big lots for $7. there was no difference in picture quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks