What's new

"Monk" Season 7 Thread (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Felt the same way. When I saw the scene with him drawing attention to the weight difference, I couldn't believe they were taking the character in that direction. At least he got a fully-featured send-off. I thought the video will at the end was the perfect touch.

Next week's episode looks intense.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I really liked Kevin as a character, so I was sad to see him killed off, I didn't see it coming at all. I especially enjoyed Kevin as Sharona's fill-in in "Mr. Monk and the Gameshow"... that was some funny stuff. I do think think that his death gave Monk a bit of growth... he was able to feel loss for someone other than Trudy and actually felt bad about the way he treated Kevin. Overall a really good episode.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
There's a tiny thing bothering me re: next week's episode. I could have sworn there was a flashback early in the series that showed Trudy's car parked on the street when it blew up. No big deal if they decided to change that detail for purposes of this story, more that I'm trying to figure out if I actually saw that or am misremembering.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Kevin's end was a surprise, but I thought they gave him a nice send-off. Steve Valentine once again plays a somewhat sleazy magician and is out-smarted by one of TV's most brilliant detectives. (Valentine lists magic as one of his interest on his official site, which is why he was so fluid with the cards, and there's a good chance he did some of the coin tricks and close-up stuff himself.)

Oh, I can't finish this without mentioning the funniest moment in the episode, when he spits the handcuff key away! :D It was just such a perfectly Monk thing to do.

Regards,

Joe

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I know lol, especially when said key was in the mouth of someone as hot as Peyton List...

I have no memory of Trudy's car blowing up on the street, there was another episode when it was referanced that her car blew up in a parking garage.

I like Valentine, he's the host of that new Sci-Fi channel game show Estate of Panic.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As John said, you're misremembering. There have been several episodes where Monk either went to the parking garage or the parking garage was referenced.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was disappointed with the season finale. While it was a well-done, emotional episode, the promos were advertising a major discovery in Trudy's murder case. That never manifested.

Joe_H

Screenwriter

I didn't watch the promos myself, but I had assumed something like that would happen myself.

I think my disappointment was more because of the order I watched shows in last night too.

I watched Terminator, which was great, and then Dollhouse, which was even better, and then Psych, which I thought was one of its best episodes, and then watched Monk, which was a bit of a letdown from the quality level of the others.

I agree, that it was well-done, and I liked at the end how they named the playground after her, but it just never advances the big picture storyline, and honestly the new case every week is starting to get old and tiresome to me.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Actually, the promos didn't really do that. They were certainly made in such a way as to suggest something along those lines, but I happened to see one of the promos while watching my recording of Psych after I watched Monk, and I have to admit it was less misleading than I remembered. Part of the reason I "saw" it as referring to a revelation in Trudy's case is that I was already expecting that.

I thought it was a very good and very funny episode. As for "not advancing the plot" - Monk is not the kind of huge, complicated serialized story that Lost is, with many mysteries that can be introduced and solved over time. It is more like The Fugitive or Voyager. Yes, there is a long-term story thread, but it is one that, by definition, will end the series. So if you want to run for more than one season, you really can't have every episode advance the so-called "main plot."

Besides, this episode did advance "the main plot" - if you understand the main plot to include Monk becoming functional enough to return to the force, as well as solving Trudy's murder. He came to accept the demolition of the parking lot, in the end. He's starting to let go of Trudy - which is the necessary pre-condition for getting his life back. (If he merely solves her murder and isn't reconciled to the fact of her death, he'll be worse off. For now, solving her murder gives him a reason to get out of bed in the morning.)

BTW, I have a feeling that the parking lot will play a role in solving her murder, so this episode is more set-up than throw-away. I think they're going to find a clue in the rubble, something hidden all this time that could only be exposed by tearing the place down.

Regards,

Joe

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Oh don't get me wrong, I realize that finding out Trudy's murderer is a show-ender, but some of these episodes lately have felt really formulaic and so part of me wonders if one more season was one too long. This was a good episode, but finding some hint to push him along would've been good. I mean, for example, I know Dr Bell pointed out that he had looked a million times at the garage, and hadn't found anything, but wouldn't you expect him to look another time after finding out he might only have another week left before its torn down?

And I agree, that it's not some long arcing plot like Lost, but clearly here is an opportunity to show something, that he's not making the effort entirely in vain to keep the garage up. And I don't expect something like that every episode, no, but this WAS the season finale.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I was waiting for them to find a clue under the sewer cover/in the sewer while attempting to retrieve the padlock key.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Actually, it is, at least in a well-crafted story. The plot of Moby Dick is inseperable from the character of Ahab. Put Capt. Steubing from The Love Boat in command of the Pequod and you have a completely different story. Casablanca only has the ending it does because of the journey Rick Blaine has made from during the course of the film bitter cynic to selfless idealist. A good story is one that can only happen to the character it happens to, and which plays out the way it does because of who he is at the start, and who he has become by the end.

And that's why the other thing Monk "found" - that he could let go of this piece of Trudy - is important. Look, the last set of episodes is going to be a sprint towards the series finale. There was nothing wrong with fiinishing this part of the story by having some fun, then taking a little bit of a breath and dealing with the inner story that parallels the external story of Trudy's murder.

Regards,

Joe

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I thought this was a very solid episode. The tribute at the end was very fitting. And I like how certain elements of the episode were left open. After all, we've got sixteen more episodes, and a lot can happen in those.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There are stories that externalize the internal growth of the protagonist, and there are stories where the protagonist is shaped my external events. Ahab goes after Moby Dick, Trudy's murder happened to Monk. One is not inherently different better than the other. Granted, no one else would react to the tragedy the way Monk has. But he's still dealing with a conspiracy launched and shaped by external forces. I was very moved that by the end of the episode Monk was able to walk away from the parking garage and let it go. If this were just another episode, I would have been very impressed with it. However, last season ended with a two-parter that was among the series's best episodes. This was the last season finale before the series finale. I expected a little more. It was a problem of expectations, but it's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Speaking of the episode "Mr. Monk Fights City Hall", I just finished watching it. The bit with the hot dog vendors was a classic.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I think this is great. Although I'm one of those who has come to prefer Natalie to Sharona (especially given the way the character and her relationship with Monk have developed), Sharona was a big part of the show's early success and of Monk's life and it is only right that she be included in the final season. I feel sorry for all the folks in the Ausiello comments section who stopped watching when Bitty left, or gave up on Traylor Howard after only an episode or two. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!

Regards,

Joe

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It took me all of an ep or two for me to fall for Traylor hook line and sinker.

I rewatched the first 6 seasons at work and I must say that after getting so used to Natalie I really noticed just how bitchy and impatient Sharona was with Adrian.

Still, happy to know i'll get to see that spectacular rack of hers for an episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks