1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Monday Night Football in HD

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by JeremyFr, Sep 8, 2003.

1. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Well-Known Member

Well I have the unfortunaty of having to work Monday nights [​IMG] At anyrate I went home on my lunch break (its great working a block from your house) and turned on the game in HD.....all I have to say is WOW! I cant even imagine going back to watching sports on a 4:3 aspect. I have of course already watched other sports in HD and they looked great to but no football yet. Now I wish I had a workshift that gave me Monday nights off. Oh well

2. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Well-Known Member

I too was totally impressed the the picture quality. And get this, it wasn't even on my HD set. My local cable provider is not carrying ABC HD yet, so I had to watch the standard SD broadcast. I don't know if it's the better quality signal and better cameras, but I was amazed at the picture on my non HD set.

This weekend I watched the US Open on my HDTV and the picture looked amazing. For $hits and giggles I put the cable box converter to 480P, and while not as good as 1080i, it was still amazingly clear and crisp. Not sure if my cable box is doing something different, but my 47" set is ISF calibrated, so nothing going on there.

All said, while the SD picture was amazing, I am very much looking forward to seeing MNF in HD.

3. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Well-Known Member

Well watching the HD feed its apparent they use the same exact for the SD as well as all the Graphics were in the portion picture that would be seen in a 4:3 picture. So I can imagine it probably did look pretty good on the regular feed as well.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I thought the HD broadcast looked very nice, except the referee looked sick (skin tone-wise).

5. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Well-Known Member

Watching it on my X1 I have to say this has got me hooked on Monday Night Football again, EXCEPT the invasion of Brittney![​IMG]

6. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought the ref had some jaundice going on too...

7. Larry Fletcher

Larry Fletcher Well-Known Member

I thought the Eagles vs. Bucs game looked great last night. It was my Eagle's performance on the field that made me sick! [​IMG]

8. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Premium
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    I noticed the off color skin as well. Glad it isn't just my set or Time Warner in Torrance. Hopefully that will get some adjustment.

-Keith

9. Steve Kramzer

Steve Kramzer Well-Known Member

Game looked great, too bad they use the same cam for sd and hdtv (this is true of all networks though atm) as there is so much wasted space...I want to the the defensive backs, not 20 yards of empty space behind the qb.

10. TimDav

TimDav Member

The thing that annoys me is the score box that they impose on the screen. In 16:9 format the score box is near the middle of the screen instead of on the side. Does anyone know if they are going to change this anytime soon?

TD

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

The reason for that is that the SD telecast uses the same feed, so important information is put inside the 4:3 frame.

If you look at the 16:9 frame before the ball is snapped, you will notice that it is set so that a 4:3 picture gets the quarterback and running back—there is space behind the backfield (on the offensive side of the ball) except when the backs are set very deeply.

Of course one does get the added picture on the defensive side.

I don’t think that this will change until 16:9 becomes widespread or the networks carry both a SD and HD feed for the same game (which would be way too costly).

12. Jason_H

Jason_H Well-Known Member

13. Sean Romo

Sean Romo Active Member

14. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

15. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    espnhd and mnf hd have the logo set for sd braodcast.
    but cbs hd football games have the scorebaord set over to the far side of the screen left or right.
    i wonder how they do it and abc can't.