1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern shows with no Blu-ray release - do you skip?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ATimson, Aug 24, 2010.

1. ATimson

ATimson Well-Known Member

While many recent shows are getting Blu-ray releases simultaneous with their DVD release, this isn't always the case, even if the show is produced in HD. So far I know I've definitely skipped buying Legend of the Seeker and Leverage on disc because they won't sell me it in HD; there's a couple of other shows I was waffling on but was able to rule out rather expeditiously because of the lack of HD (Castle, FlashForward).

I'm curious as to whether I'm alone in this preference. :)

2. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    If it's a title that I know airs in HD, was shot in HD, I really don't want the DVD. In the case of "Legend" it's even more laughable in that HD versions of it have been available to legitimately purchase elsewhere (Sony PSN for the PS3 had it I believe) so it's just a crock. I won't buy HD filmed shows in non-HD. It's just a no-sale.

3. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Well-Known Member

Oh definitely. It is difficult (for me) to justify the purchase of a program in Standard Definition that I viewed via broadcast in High Definition. I did cave and purchase Season 1 of Legend of the Seeker, but the purchases are few and far between in those cases.

Some of the shows I've passed up (at least so far) are: Better Off Ted, Castle, and Reaper. All of these would have been automatic purchases on Blu-Ray.

- Walter.

4. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Well-Known Member

Robert
    I don't buy bluray.

I consider bluray a kind of flash in the pan, the rest of the seasons I have of shows are in regular DVD format, and I can't see paying more money for bluray when a standard DVD will look perfectly fine to me for less money.

5. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Well-Known Member

Greg
    Definitely skip. I'd have been glad to have bought Community on Blu-Ray, but I won't buy the DVDs. I can just stick with my HD recordings.

6. ATimson

ATimson Well-Known Member

Thanks for your answers, everybody. I feel better knowing I'm not being crazy. ;)

7. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Well-Known Member

8. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Well-Known Member

Probably will soon enough.

I've skipped Burn Notice and Flashpoint as there's nothing planned for their previously released (or announced) DVD season set on BD. I may make an exception for the "Sam Axe" prequel, though.