What's new

Modem for a Mac (1 Viewer)

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I've given up on the Mac. It has an old version of Mac OS (v 8.03)

So now I'm trying to figure out how to get the connection from my computer (buying soon) to my moms computer (in my room right now, but will go in my brothers room when I get my own room)

I think the Ethernet just isn't working because the computer was set up with the USB. So, when I get my new computer, I'll set it up using the Ethernet.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I'm no expert but I was able to set up a network connecting three computers to a single cable modem. The computers are running Windows XP, Windows ME, and Mac 10.3.9 .
The hookup is fairly straight forward. When connecting the cable modem directly to one computer there is a single cable that runs from the modem to the computer. To use more than one computer you run a single cable from the cable modem to a router, then you run cables from the router to each individual computer.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Would it be worth it to run Ethernet cables 30ft to the other computer? Or should I just do it wirelessly (this is for a PC to a PC, I'm done with that piece of $#!+ Mac).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - I love it! You don't understand what you're doing, so you blame the computer. :D...sounds like everyone I work with. ;)

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Actually, I'm not blaming the computer for anything... Except being a piece of $#!+. Slow, ugly, and just plain old sucks... I'm glad I'm getting a C2Duo computer soon, gona never see lag again!

Now, is it better to run Ethernet 30ft through the house? Or use wireless?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not to mention it is running a 10 year old OS, which means the computer is at least 10 years old. yeah, Macs suck because their 10 year old OS and systems are so slow. Keep up the zingers Bobby.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I believe you can run ethernet up to 300 feet. Anything hard wired is always prefered over wireless...it's all a matter of:
  • Can you easily run the wire
  • Do you mind seeing a physical wire running along
  • Is the computer (it's connected to) portable or not?
etc.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Oh really...what model are you getting? MacBook? MacBook Pro? iMac? :)

Doesn't really matter I guess, as you still won't know how to network any of them. :laugh:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just a word of advice, my fine Sir Robert. Mac users are legendary for their devotion. Coming into a Mac forum, saying the things you have said, and then asking for further advice for your upcoming Windoze machine is kind of like praising David Dukes at an NAACP rally and then asking for directions home. You've never taken a sliver of advice from me to date, and I don't expect you to start now, but you really should move over to the NON-Mac computer section and ask your questions there.

tundraSQ

Grip
Real Name
tim morton
all older macs came with built in 56k modems. To find out what mac you have, boot it up and go to the apple icon in the upper right and drop down to "about this mac". And to find out what modem you have drop down further to "apple system profiler"

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser

The last owners took it out. There is a hole in the back where it used to be.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
3) Again, you're talking to people who know about computers. Hatred of old computers has nothing to do with tech support. You were given perfectly acceptable options. Blaming the computer (because you hate it) will not help you garner any respect in this forum.

Again, these are just some friendly words of advice when looking for help. Ignorance is the biggest turn off when trying to give someone advice.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I was just using Halo as an example.

If you don't think that a 10 year old computer is a piece of crap, then you have a much lower standard than me. I like to have the biggest and best in my computers. Like almost all of the computer builders like me.

I will take back my statement of a 10 year old computer being a piece of crap, in hopes that I wont get any more negative posts to lead this thread to closing.

I am requesting a moderator to move this thread to the PC forum and name it "Networking for PC", if a moderator is reading this...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One thing is for sure Bobby. You never fail to entertain.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
So you'd be ok with someone saying: "Viewing DVD's on anything smaller than a 60" TV is pure crap and anyone who DOES watch movies on something smaller than a 60" TV, is kidding themselves because they have low standards." :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks