What's new

mlife.com?? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
They keep running ads for this site during the superbowl- but it doesn't seem to exist.

Anyone know what it is all about? Seems odd to spend a quarter million to promote a site that doesn't exist (or worse is down because you are a moron and your servers can't handle the fucking traffic you create for the site).

Tried to Tracert and ping the server- but both timeout.

-Vince

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
There are billboards for mlife.com all over Austin. I, too, couldn't access the site. The ads make it look like some sort of weight-loss product or program, but I'm not sure what it really is...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hmmmmm......I've been trying too. With no success. Does seem like an odd gambit. Probably come to find out its some weird joke. But you're right, Vince. It would be an expensive joke.:rolleyes

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Not that it means much, but the domain is registered to a Seattle company.
Registrant:
Alphie, Inc.
1201 Third Avenue
40th Floor
Seattle, WA 98101
US
Domain Name: MLIFE.COM
Administrative Contact:
Contact, Administrative [email protected]
1201 Third Avenue
40th Floor
Seattle, WA 98101
US
206 287-3104

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
I looks like all the traffic killed their servers! :D
mlife.com resolves by dns to an IP, so it does exist. But the realy underestimated the traffic the ads created.

RicP

Screenwriter
As the CTO for a major Internet retailer, I am laughing my Mother f#^^%ing ass off that these jokers spent $8M for commercials during the Super Bowl and yet didn't ensure that they had the infrastructure to handle it.
I love these morons...they continue to make myself and my company look smarter every day.
Their CTO should be fired immediately.

RicP

Screenwriter
I managed to get through...here's a description

you’re in the library and you desperately need to call someone,

but you can’t. now you can talk to them without raising your

voice. heck, without using your voice at all. text messaging.

it’s a new way of communicating. that’s why all of our new

wireless phones are text-enabled. what’s more, you can

send messages to almost anyone, even if they don’t have

AT&T Wireless. are we friendly, or what?

pick up your wireless phone right now, please. if you have AT&T

Wireless, dial #121. now listen. cool, right? AT&T Wireless #121

service recognizes your voice, so all you have to do is say

something – “directions” – and it will give it to you. hear news,

sports, stock quotes, traffic updates, and horoscopes

So it's a mobile service....interesting.

On second look...this is just AT&T Wireless reinventing themselves. What a joke. I get all of this through Verizon for less $ and it's most likely more stable.

Ah well, all this hype for nothing.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
You're spot on, Ric...they wasted a fucking boatload of money on nothing. Someone's gotta be fired for this blunder. This mess up is so grand and public.

It's no wonder why so many of these dot coms (who actually knows what the hell this company WAS) go under. They throw money into the wind. Stupid idiots. Don't you need certain qualifications to run companies - apparently not, after Enron and now this.

They'll probably fire the CTO by giving him an enormous golden parachute and stick the working guy/gal with no pay raise or layoffs.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
ATT Wireless...tell me why this isn't surprising. This company is just following their own pattern of blunders and bullshit strategy.

Fire the goddamn ad agency, too. How brainless is it to lock out a good percentage of the audience by forcing people to go their computers to get the rest of the message?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
ATT Wireless...tell me why this isn't surprising. This company is just following their own pattern of blunders and bullshit strategy.
Fire the goddamn ad agency, too. How brainless is it to lock out a good percentage of the audience by forcing people to go their computers to get the rest of the message?
Yikes...why all the anger over a wireless company? You own stock in them or something?
As far as making people go to their computers to find out what it is, what's so wrong about that? It got all you to go see didn't it? Remember before the matrix came out? The ads appeared at the super bowl: www.whatisthematrix.com?
Go grab another beer and go back to the couch and watch the rest of the game...

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
MLife

= mobile life

Commercial done by my sisters company - Ogilvy & Mather

(she didnt work on campaign)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the latter commercials have started to feature the AT&T logos... and the tracert I ran before stalled at an AT&T server.

Seems silly- site still doesn't work... you'd think AT&T would have enough power to keep the site working.

hmmmm.

Vince

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
You own stock in them or something?
Fortunately, I don't. I feel sorry for those that did/do. And thanks Mike for the snide suggestion.
It would be one thing if the website actually worked. But, if you read the initial and subsequent posts, the site is inaccessible - it times out.
Yeah, I'm sure the ceo/board was aiming for this kind of attention.:rolleyes

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Seems silly- site still doesn't work... you'd think AT&T would have enough power to keep the site working.

Absolutely...more than silly. Total ineptitude.

Understand the irony - ATT wireless, a communications company. Some poor shmoe, on their Nokia, surfing the web, using att wireless as their carrier, trying to get into the site.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
It would be one thing if the website actually worked. But, if you read the initial and subsequent posts, the site is inaccessible - it times out.
I didn't have any problems getting there. I looked at it around 8pm and got right in...no delay. So I still don't see what the problem is. In fact just tried it again...no problems...

Back to the actual subject of this thread...I still don't get what mlife is supposed to be? Is is AT&T's launch of their G3 network? Is it just a renaming of their wireless service? I've got AT&T wireless...yeah its a little more expensive, but the quality of my cell service is a lot better in this area than friends of mine that have sprint and pay less than I do.

AjayM

Screenwriter
I still think it's funny as hell that the site doesn't/didn't come up, even more funny considering it's AT&T (who in my experience has got to be the worlds worst for anything internet related).
Like Ric I'm the top dog for an internet tech company, and if my company had just spent BIG money on a bunch of ads in the superbowl and my servers weren't able to respond because of traffic over-loads, I wouldn't even bother going to work in the morning, just mail me my stuff.....
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks