What's new

MLB All-Star selections and game (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Here's a link to the main story and the line-ups by Joe Torre and Bob Brenley.
Can anyone fathom how Torre gets away with putting 5 shortstops on the AL All-star squad?
Here's hoping Andruw Jones makes the internet fan voting spot!

Phil L

Supporting Actor
The shortstops all deserved to go. Some of them will wind up playing 2nd or 3rd base. I'd have left off Vizquel and taken Thome though.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I look at it like you should be the best at your position, and if there's 3-4 other guys that are better than you, you sit at home. I'll bet the 2nd basemen in the AL aren't too happy with Torre. But now Torre has gone with the "best available athlete" route like NFL teams do in drafting players.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'll bet the 2nd basemen in the AL aren't too happy with Torre.
Well, if there were a non-Soriano 2B who was all-star caliber, they'd have a legitimate beef. I don't think such a beast exists in the AL this year, though - even the Sox' Rey Sanchez, who was doing a decent all-star imitation before the injury, was clearly playing over his head.

So, Jeter and Tejada or Vizquel play 2B instead of SS. No big deal.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Jason, I was about to flame you for your anti-Jeter comment, but then I looked at where you're from.

Jeter deserves to be there. Let's leave it at that.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I'm not arguing that Jeter's not an All-Star caliber player. He is the weakest defensively, though, and the weakest of the five offensively (although is 825 OPS is just below Tejada's 829); if you were going to leave one guy out of five off, it'd be him.

Jeter's a Very Good player who is often mistaken for a Great player because his success has happened on the biggest stage. Certainly, not wilting under the spotlights is a valuable skill, but he's no A-Rod or Nomar.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Woo Hoo! 3 Dodgers! I think that's the most they've had in it seems like forever! Go Blue Crew! :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Mitty

Supporting Actor
The most astonishing thing about that list is that two Montreal Expos got voted onto the team.

Not since the early 80s, the days of Andre Dawson and Gary Carter is that even conceivable.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, they both deserve to be there, but there was also an online campaign to try and get as many Twins and Expos on the team as possible - just to make Selig look (more) foolish at his team's home park. (OK, his daughter's team, which he has nothing to do with because that would be a massive conflict of interest and we know Selig is just the most honest guy in the world and not baseball's biggest problem)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Jeter's a Very Good player who is often mistaken for a Great player because his success has happened on the biggest stage. Certainly, not wilting under the spotlights is a valuable skill, but he's no A-Rod or Nomar.
He's a great player. One of the greatest I've ever had the pleasure of watching on a regular basis. While his stats might not be as impressive as those of Nomar or A-Rod, they're certainly impressive. What's really important to me, however, is the way he carries himself. His leadership is remarkable, his personality is respectable, he always stops to talk to the kids, and he tends to make these amazing plays right when he needs to (remember his defensive plays in last year's playoffs and World Series?).
Wasn't he MVP of the All-Star game recently?
He pulls it out of somewhere, gets that hit when he needs to. He's a gamer, and I respect that.
I don't, however, have too much respect for an A-Rod type player who focuses on himself rather than the team.
But that's just me. I like the team players. I appreciate the Bobby Grich, the Brett Boone, etc. Superstars can go play basketball for all I care.
Anyway, I respect Nomar - I think he's a great player. But he's no Derek Jeter. :)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
just to make Selig look (more) foolish at his team's home park.
Owning a team(trust w/daughter) with 52 losses and making sure there are 2 All-Stars from that pathetic squad isn't enough to accomplish that one? :D
Jeter and Rivera don't deserve it based on this year and it cost Thome, Chavez, and Urbina spots on the team.
ARod, Nomar, and Tejada were the three that should have been chosen. Nomar and Tejada have been snubbed already by Torre and with their stats they were more deserving this year. Jeter and Omar should only have made it if they were in the NL. Picking 5 shortstops with a limited roster is a joke. Damon also deserves a spot over Manny, but that was voted on so there's nothing to do unless they wanted to put Fick in as a catcher instead of OF. Eliminating this required representative stuff or expanding the roster would help out a lot.
The 30th man is a fraud considering you can vote as many times as you want and the lists don't include deserving pitchers. I wouldn't be surprised if Bud has set up a system to write in Ben Sheets every 2 seconds.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
There are just too many good players and they can't all go to the AS game, there's just not enough spots. Look at the NL outfield, No Andruw Jones this year. He's only among the leaders in HR's and the best defensive outfielder in the history of the game, but wasn't even chosen as a reserve... go figure!

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I agree with Jason,

Jeter is All-star quality but he is at the bottom of the list year and should have stayed home. But, no way Torre would do that.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Two Phillies on the NL starting team!
I cannot believe that Scott Rolen is starting at third base over Mike Lowell. Rolen is hitting .245 and Lowell is hitting .316 and has more home runs and RBIs. In my opinion Rolen shouldn't even be going to the all-star game and should. This proves that the fans know absolutely nothing.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nomar better than Jeter defensively, I begged to differ on that account.
But not anymore, eh? Are you saying Jeter has gone downhill? :D
It's tough to quantify defense, true - neither error count, feilding percentage, or zone factor is a really satisfactory stat. The first organization that figures out a way to objectively evaluate defense will have a tremendous leg up on everyone else. To a certain extent, right now, it almost comes down to what you value.
I don't think anyone would question that Nomar has a stronger arm than Jeter - he throws people out practically from third base. The downside is that Nomar's throws can be a bit wilder, since he'll oftentime make them in mid-air while moving away from first. (Aside - this is one of the reasons we were excited that the Sox got Tony Clark; he's a big target who can stretch for Nomar's throws) I think Nomar's got more range, too - every time I've seen him and Jeter in the same game, Nomar has seemed to get to more balls.
Jeter doesn't take the risks Nomar does, so you'll seldom see a "highlight-reel error" from him. He's also pretty good at getting himself into position to handle relay throws and double plays.
Jeter's defensive reputation, like his offensive one, is bolstered because he does seem to come up big when the lights are brightest. Nobody notices him, say, misplaying routine ground balls against the Devil Rays, but they do remember the heads-up play during the World Series. But he's certainly no more than an average defender, and most things I've read comparing SS defense by people without an axe to grind has Jeter well outside the elite - with the authors fairly surprised, since he does have that great reputation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks