What's new

MLB 2011 Regular Season (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^ Agreed. Mike, Are the Red Sox really 11-4 against the Yankees this year, and did they actually sweep them once in the Bronx not too long ago? I think it was a dream....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

^^^

Agreed.

Mike,

Are the Red Sox really 11-4 against the Yankees this year, and did they actually sweep them once in the Bronx not too long ago? I think it was a dream....

The Red Sox dominance of the Yankees happened early in the season, but since June 9th, the tables have turned.

Crawdaddy

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike, Truth be told, at 13-2 Tampa Bay, I believed that the Yankees were going to come back and win that game, especially when they scored six more runs.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I wish it were as easy to predict a winning lottery ticket as it was to predict that the Yankees would get swept by the Rays in this three-game series. When it was 7-0 New York, I told my son that the Rays would win this game. However, I thought that Rivera would come in and blow the save. I didn't realize (but certainly understand) Girardi's decision not to want to use his ace closer in this series, which really means nothing to New York. The game is now in the eleventh inning. There is no way that New York wins this game.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Patrick_S said:
Atalnta's collapse in September was epic.
It was but The Sox collapse is more historic in perspective of what was expected of them this season. they really were as much as the Phillies, a team that was supposed to get very far this season into the Playoffs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

One of the most amazing nights in baseball history.

Wow.

Wow.

Girardi and the Yankees didn't do you guys any favors the last few days. To lose the game last night with our best relievers sitting on their butts and our best players on the bench leaves a bitter taste in my mouth as a competitive person. I'm sure most Yankee fans feel differently about the situation. However, I still don't like to see my team lose games that they could've easily won with their better players in the game.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The way the Red Sox were eliminated from postseason contention... just wow! And it was as if the Yankees deliberately blew that 7-run lead, and then give up the winning run shortly after the Red Sox game ended... just seems so scripted!

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I believe the biggest collapse was with the Dodgers in the 50's. I believe they had a 13 game lead going into September, then Bobby Thompson hit the homerun.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It was tough watching the wheels fall off the Braves in September. Oh well, there's always next year. Would someone please take Derek Lowe off our hands?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Here's a nice article by Bill Simmons on the 2011 Red Sox team. :) http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7033950/a-running-diary-game-162 My picks for the ALDS: Detroit and Texas My picks for the NLDS: Milwaukee and Philadelphia

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"The Rays come back from a 7-0 deficit in the 8th to win (extra innings after a 2 out 2 strike pinch hit HR)." Mike, I heard it was the third time (since 1919) that the Yankees had lost a game while leading by seven or more runs in the eighth inning. Incidentally, before Johnson's home run (which I predicted would occur -- heck, we've been there before!), I leaned over to my son and reminded him of how this guy was quickly acquired by the Rays, caught the plane at the last moment, and arrived in Boston just a few hours before game time in a series against the BoSox many months ago. He hit a home run then to win the game, although it was not quite as dramatic. I could just feel that he was going to hit a home run last night. "And it was as if the Yankees deliberately blew that 7-run lead, and then give up the winning run shortly after the Red Sox game ended... just seems so scripted!" Walter, I thought the same thing while watching both games. "Would someone please take Derek Lowe off our hands?" Patrick, I'll tell you what. I'll give you Lackey, Bedard, and Weiland for him. ;)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Robert Crawford said:
Girardi and the Yankees didn't do you guys any favors the last few days.  To lose the game last night with our best relievers sitting on their butts and our best players on the bench leaves a bitter taste in my mouth as a competitive person.  I'm sure most Yankee fans feel differently about the situation.  However, I still don't like to see my team lose games that they could've easily won with their better players in the game.
Robert, I've been a Red Sox fan since 1967. When Teixeira hit the grand slam last night, I clapped and yelled loudly enough that it was probably heard in the Bronx. My wife thought something was wrong -- LOL. I've never wanted to see M. Rivera as much as I did last night in the bottom of the ninth inning. Oh well. How do you think the Yankees will do against the Tigers? I think this is Detroit's year. They've been playing some great ball lately.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun /t/310095/mlb-2011-regular-season/90#post_3855471

I'll up the offer. How about you take Lackey & Carl Crawford...and you can keep Lowe (although I had wished the Sox had kept him when they dealt him many years ago).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks