What's new

MLB 2011 Regular Season (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Harmon Killebrew is one of the all-time great players (and great names) from my childhood.

He sure could hit 'em.

In 1967 (the year my hero Yaz won the Triple Crown), HK had actually tied Yaz with 44 home runs and also led the league in walks that year with 131.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, I have yet another reason to appreciate DirecTV. Today, the Red Sox - Tigers game was on TBS, but it was blacked out. Thankfully, Fox Sports Detroit is part of our package, so I was able to watch the game on that channel.

Buchholz pitched a strong game, and I thought he was going to win it. But the Tigers rallied to tie it 3-3. Thankfully, Ortiz homered in the top of the ninth, and Paps came on to save the game for the BoSox, 4-3.

The second game of the double-header should be a good one, as Beckett will face Verlander.

Go Red Sox!

Edit: BTW, in case anyone cares, ESPN will be showing the second game tonight, although that wasn't going to occur initially.

"The second game of the doubleheader was not originally scheduled to be televised, because of ESPN's exclusive Sunday-night contract, but a waiver was reached Sunday afternoon that allowed the game to be shown in both Boston and Detroit."

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=310529206

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Today is stress day.The French Open is going on and my favorite race, Monaco Grand Prix, The Tennis and Red Sox game was seen via picture in a picture - with my TV in the two half screen mode where each half screen is circa 60% of the middle picture. When the tennis ended, I then had 100% Red Sox-Detroit. I heard or read that only a few baseball clubs in history to start the season with 2 & 10 and was able to lead eventually the division. The first part of the afternoon was Monaco and tennis and then later tennis & baseball

I have MLB-TV and have noticed that the 2nd game is "mlb.com" (http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/?&affiliateId=mlbMENU)- Since I am in europe I don't have any blackout and could watch tomorrow if it appears to be a good game.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sumnernor,

We may have been listening to the same broadcast today, since I too heard that stat (about 2-10 teams rarely leading their division).

The Red Sox are in a hole at the moment, down 0-2 with Verlander on the mound.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Phillies got smacked by the Mets today but still are at the top of the league, best record by % points over Cleveland. This has been an enjoyable season so far. Btw I'm doing a very unprofessional and personal blog on each Phillies game this season. So here it is in case anyone gets bored. http://tonydewald.blogspot.com/

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Originally Posted by TonyD

Btw I'm doing a very unprofessional and personal blog on each Phillies game this season.
So here it is in case anyone gets bored.
I get the impression that you might be a Phillies fan??? Am I correct in what you write that people reading your blog will get bored????

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Note to the Red Sox brass-- Please unload John Lackey. He's not very good (an ugly 7.47 ERA), and that salary -- which is around $16 million -- could be better used for some quality pitching or perhaps other position players. Please? I've wanted him gone for a while now. Almost every time he takes the mound, I tell my son the Red Sox will need at least six or seven runs even to have a chance at winning the game. Sure, there are a few games where he's actually pitched, but sandwiched around one or two good games are multiple bad starts. He needs to go, and possibly be traded for a quality pitcher.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike Frezon said:
From your lips to Theo's ears...

Seven runs today weren't enough!
Yeah, I know. And I realize that Lackey wasn't responsible for several of the runs (after he gave up five). Wheeler and others weren't all that good either. The team isn't bad IMO, but I just want to see it get much better. And I believe that unloading Lackey -- someone who has been extremely ineffective in several of his starts this year and last -- needs to go. That money could IMO be better spent elsewhere. BTW, I wanted the Red Sox to acquire a quality catcher before the start of the season. But I'm not all that unimpressed with Salty's bat thus far, so maybe it isn't essential that we get that position firmed up at this point. What do you think, Mike?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And then Lackey comes up with a great performance his next time out. He must've felt the pressure, Scott!

Meanwhile, the active players with the most hits (besides Jeter) are:

Pudge Rodriguez 2842

The ageless Omar Vizquel 2831

A-Rod 2762

Johnny Damon 2663

Manny (put a fork in him) Ramirez 2574

Chipper Jones 2565

Vlad (the Impaler) Guerrero 2514

=============================

Go American League!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hope everyone is still watching ESPN's Sunday night game!

The Red Sox and Rays are scoreless through 15 full innings.

It is now 1:35am ET.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Only caught a very small portion of the start, before switching over to other shows, as my Sundays are already jam-packed.

You know, I could have watched all my Sunday shows, and still be able to catch the tail end of that marathon, if I wasn't so tired!

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I am 6 hours later. The Redsox game started at 2:00 AM my time and I woke up several times in the nite and they were still playing. The game ended shortly before 8AM my time!!!! I started my recorder before and would estimate I have circa the last hour or so. Most west coast games are usually finished by this time. Don't know to many details. Sunday evening (my time) was the women's worldcup final - a great game.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike Frezon said:
I hope everyone is still watching ESPN's Sunday night game!

The Red Sox and Rays are scoreless through 15 full innings.

It is now 1:35am ET.
I watched it through fourteen innings, as I had to get to work as well. I didn't think the Red Sox would pull this one out, but I'm pleased they did. It kind of makes up for that marathon they played at Fenway Park a few years ago (won by Tampa Bay on the late-inning home run). I think that one only went fourteen innings, if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks