What's new

Mitsubishi WD-82840 vs WD-82740 vs WD-73840 (1 Viewer)

eventosrockstar

Auditioning
Real Name
Hugo
Hey guys, I'm want to buy a new TV and I'm looking at those sets in the title. I've been looking for reviews but can't find anything. Does anyone know any reviews of those sets? Does anyone has these sets at home that would like to share their experiences? I appreciate any help and advice. Thanks!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Hugo-

Welcome to Home Theater Forum. I don't own any of those models, but I have owned a DLP rear projection TV in the past. They are a great way to get a huge screen for not a lot of money (compared to a front projector). Some people (I'm not one of them) can see "rainbows" when watching DLP, so make sure you watch any DLP set before buying, preferably one of these, but any will do. Mitsubishi has been making DLP sets for a long time, so I wouldn't have concerns about any of the models, especially if you are buying new with the full warranty. The only difference between the models is screen size and features, so decide if the 73" or 82" would fit better in your space and then figure out if you want the base model or the loaded model (built in sound bar is the biggest difference).

Let us know which model you get and what you think of it!

eventosrockstar

Auditioning
Real Name
Hugo
Thanks Adam. I know some guys from the manufacturing plant where they build these TVs, and they now have an Employee & Friends Holiday sale, so I can get the 82840 for $2,350, the 82740 for $2,150 and the 73840 for $1,550. So considering your advice and these prices, I believe it's a no brainer! I'm getting the 82740!!! I have my surround sound, so no need to pay the extra $200 for a better sound system on the TV! Thanks again!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
When you think about how big 82" is that is a fantastic price. There are a few additional upgrades that the 840 has:

Bluetooth audio streaming

ISF adjustments

Additional picture controls

Wired IR input (for RF remote control)

Additional HDMI (4 total)

Clear Contrast Screen

I's be curious about the screen upgrade. I don't know if its an actual upgrade or marketing BS. I'd ask your friends if its worth the $200 upgrade or not.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
From what I've read about the Mits. DLP TV's on the forums, I would buy an ext. warranty. They are not the most reliable. I bought my 3 year ext. warranty online for $79. Have you checked out the long thread about these sets at Avsforum.com?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Jim Mcc

From what I've read about the Mits. DLP TV's on the forums, I would buy an ext. warranty. They are not the most reliable.

I wonder with the problems are? There are only four pieces: cabinet, screen, light engine and input board.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Adam Gregorich said:
I wonder with the problems are?  There are only four pieces: cabinet, screen, light engine and input board.
I think a lot of the problems are color wheels failing. Also, make sure to budget periodic bulb replacement.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys I too am looking for a black friday deal. Last year dell.com and tigerdirect had the 73" versions for 999-1099. I was at Fryes about 1 month ago and they had the 83 version for $1399 (perhaps it was a 1 off demo deal). For any of the Mits, Id buy strictly on price and not on features "stated". Id also recommend the extended warranty IF it includes a bulb replacement (and figuring that you want to keep the display for 5 years). Time to push my old Toshiba 65H80 off the edge of a cliff!!!

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
As for Dell ^ they said the B.Friday deals will be put up on Friday so pretty much waiting till the last minute. I see the Mits they've had up all year for very large screen sizes and lower prices but I too have been skeptical of the DLP's so I never pulled the trigger and just can't see me doing it on Friday either just to gain more size for less money. DLP just doesn't force that hand for me.

Now.. I am hoping the Samsung D8000 model goes on sale. Amazon though has some great prices right now but no Mits if I remember correctly.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Here is the Mits 82 inch for $1999 with free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-82740-82-Inch-1080p-Projection/dp/B004ZL2OAO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1322095760&sr=8-5 last year, the BF deals had the 73 for 999-1099, so I was thinking that if repeated this year, that the 82" would not be that much more. Please post hear if you see any great deals!! Id appreciate it.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Gregg Loewen

Here is the Mits 82 inch for $1999 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-82740-82-Inch-1080p-Projection/dp/B004ZL2OAO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1322095760&sr=8-5

last year, the BF deals had the 73 for 999-1099, so I was thinking that if repeated this year, that the 82" would not be that much more.

Please post hear if you see any great deals!! Id appreciate it.

Who would have thought just a year or two ago that there would be a 82" set for under $2k? Good luck with finding an even better price, I hope you make a great score. If you see something post it in the [url=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/f/57388/black-friday-and-cyber-monday-deals]Black Friday area.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=dlp_tv the 73" is listed for $939. The 82 is listed for 1999. I was hoping there would be less of a difference between the 2 sizes.

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
Dell prices may come down more and be closer in range once they post their B.Friday deals but no way of knowing which sets if any they will deal on. They hardly have any 3d/plasma sets and do not even carry the larger sizes in the newer models. Lots of Mits though that are already pretty cheap so doubt you'll see that come down anymore tomorrow. They are also completely out of touch with sites like Amazon for the most part and others in pricing and/or availability/stock beyond the Mits.

Savage

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory
Just bought the 73" 3D DLP from Dell for $939 for my parents. Great deal for that TV.

lvicious

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lance G
nice and hope they enjoy it. I'm waiting the 3 more hours to see what they put on sale. 73" lota TV mate lol. I'd love that but my home theater room isn't sufficient for that size. Just barely.

countdown: http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/black-friday?c=us&l=en&cs=19

seems they are already starting to put up black friday deals and from what it says that was one of them.

txdukes

Auditioning
Real Name
karen
Where can you purchase $79 extended warranty, and does it cover same items as store-offered, more expensive warranties:? I currently own a 6=7 year old Mitsu WC62825 that has had several problems. My extended warranty, from Phillips, covered all repairs but would not furnish a replacement while the set was shipped from TX to CA and back , leaving me without TV for 2 months. What is mfr warranty period?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
txdukes said:
Where can you purchase $79 extended warranty, and does it cover same items as store-offered, more expensive warranties:? I currently own a 6=7 year old Mitsu WC62825 that has had several problems. My extended warranty, from Phillips, covered all repairs but would not furnish a replacement while the set was shipped from TX to CA and back , leaving me without TV for 2 months. What is mfr warranty period?
I bought my "Mack" 3 year ext. warranty from Buydig.com for $79. The price is based on the price you paid for the TV(before tax). To cover a TV costing up to $1,000 costs $79. It starts when the manu. warranty ends, so my set is covered for 4 years.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
http://www.frys.com/product/5965764?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG $800 for the 82" un fkn believable!!! too bad they dont deliver :-(

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
i pulled the trigger on the Dell.com deal for $939, about 980 with tax delivered. the c11 does not have a built in 3D emitter, other than that it seems about the same as the 740 and 840 series. Delivery on Thursday !!

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Bamm! Dell has the 82" down to 1900, Amazon is selling it for 1799. I was able to cancel my 73" on order from Dell and ordered the 82" from amazon. I also had $250 in GC, so it only cost $1550 out of pocket. In addition Amazon doesnt charge sales tax where Dell.com does!! Now to wait until the December 6th delivery date!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks