What's new

Mitsubishi RPTV and 720p (1 Viewer)

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
Does anyone know how the newest generation of Mits RPTVs handle 720p signals. Does it downconvert them to 480p or up to 1080i? I've read that Mits and XBOX 720p signals didn't work together earlier models, but I'm not sure about the newer ones. Is there any trouble watching ABC's 720p feed?

I've got a 48-511 on the way and I'd just like to know what to expect.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
For some reason the last half-dozen or so posts I've done have killed the thread... nobody responds... strange.

Anyhow, I should add what I have learned elsewhere (not much). Apparrently, the Mits sets are unable to display a 720p signal when it's supplied through the component connections. I am planning on using the internal DTV receiver which I imagine must convert the ABC/ESPN (I wish) 720p signal to 1080i to display it. Is that correct?

Please, somebody post something...

John Royster

Screenwriter
Mits won't accept a 720p input signal on component inputs. This is really only a concern for xbox 720p games.

Otherwise you'll be feeding your component inputs 1080i from your HD receiver and let it do the conversion.

If you're using the built-in tuner of the mitsubishi then it will scale 720p tuned material for display at 1080i.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
Thanks John,

Of course, I don't any of the 2 or 3 720p xbox games currently available, but I was looking forward to Halo, Project Gotham, and hopefully Amped at better than 480p.:frowning:

Tyler, you can expect a "soft" picture that could use VNR.
but Video Noise Reduction (VNR) is not enable for 1080I or
480P video sources.

I've owned my WS-48511 since 4/5/03 and cannot get
ABC(720p) to view as "Sharp" a picture as a 1080i channel, with some exception. The WS-48511 simply displays a good or poor picture based on the quality of the TV-channel's origin/communication video-source.

This is true of the quality of DVD-source material.

Read the review of the WS-55711 in "The Perfect Vision" magazine issue Nov/Dec 2002. This review clearly state this point. Picture quality is directly tied to the quality of the progressive source.

If their is some tweak without using an external STB let me know.

In my opinion should the 3:2-Inverse Decoder be better, YES.

Will Mitsubishi offer a software fix? Maybe, only if they here of this issue often enough.........

The only other issue with this set: Netcommand-2.0
will turn off the TV's speakers when configured with an A/V-Receiver.

Will Mitsubisihi offer a software fix? Maybe, if they here of these issues often enough................?

If I had another chance to select an HDTV.
I would still select this set. After 3-years of HDTV(My 1st set a Toshiba TW40X81) analysis, each set has some issue...
But none that I've seen will give you what the WS-48511 has; Upgradability (thru a rear PC-card-slot)and it future proof. Ohh ....baring these two issues it has a fantastic picture with medium to good video source material....

I se:emoji_thumbsup: :)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Heh ... I just spoke with my HT salesman today and he insisted that I would be able to watch 720p and play 720p games on my Mits 65908. Maybe he got his info from a Mits owner with the HD tuner. So there's really no way around it without using a STB or the Mits Promise upgrade? Unfortunately (for me) the cable HD decoder doesn't have component video inputs (for the Xbox).

John Royster

Screenwriter
no mitsubishi will display 720p games from an x-box.

you'd need some kind of high definition scalar to convert the 720p to 1080i. Sorry Daren.:frowning:

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed. I have the Mitsubishi WS-65909, and no such luck with 720p games. Mine is last years model, but I doubt they've done any changes on the display for this year. I've been able to watch over-the-air ABC (broadcast in 720p) through the DTV Coax input, and it looked fantastic upconverted to 1080i. I wouldn't buy any other make of TV either, if I had to do it all over again... You will be happy with your choice, Tyler.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
Well, I've been reading this long "doomsday" thread on another forum about Mits promise modules and blah blah blah, and now I know that it won't accept 720p through component, BUT, I'm still anxiously awaiting it's arrival next week!

You will be happy with your choice
I fully expect I will.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks