What's new

Mitsubishi DLP "white dots" (1 Viewer)

mike_p_t

Agent
I have a Mitsubishi WD-60C9. I bought it new and I have had it almost exactly 2 years. I changed the lamp for the first time last month. Now, I have noticed several white dots on my screen. I did a quick Google and I see that this has happened to a lot of people. There is even a Facebook page that is almost completely dedicated to the "white dot issue": http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/I-have-a-defective-Mitsubishi-TV/129065190473390
It looks like Mitsubishi is sending a replacement DLP chip and "possibly" paying for half of the labor for a lot of posters. We'll see....
It seems like in almost half of posts I have seen, the problem started right after the lamp was changed. Why does changing the lamp cause this?
Thanks in advance!!!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I doubt changing the lamp had anything to do with it. Just similar timing. And it's not just a Mitsubishi issue, any DLP can have it happen to it. It's the Texas Intsruments chip that's the problem. I have a Toshiba DLP in my livingroom and haven't changed the lamp yet but the white dots have started to appear. Toshiba isn't sypathetic at all after the warranty runs out. Cost me $159 for a chip from ShopJimmy.com. Haven't installed it yet but will sooner or later. I'm going to give it a good cleaning inside while I'm at it.
I sold a couple of classic cars lately because I'm kind of tired of working on them all the time (getting old I guess, just want to drive them these days) so...now I'll be down on my knees with my head stuck in a rptv for a few hours. I hope my neighbors aren't peekin'.

mike_p_t

Agent
Maybe you should start a "I have a defective-Toshiba TV" thread on Facebook ;-)
Good luck fixing yours!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think people have alteady tried with Toshiba. They're just un-reponsive. Samsung is still on the fence. Mitsubishi has at least recognized that there is an issue (which they didn't with a seperate problem on some of their rptv's). The Lawyers would walk away with all the money anyway so I just bought the stupid chip and will put it in eventually. But Toshiba is now on my "list".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks