What's new

Mission: Impossible III on HD DVD and Blu-ray on October 30th (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
How many Blu-ray titles are using Dolby Digital Plus? And how many Blu-ray Titles are using Dolby True HD?

I see that Dolby is saying we can exspect DD+ on DVD's. Not sure what big improvement that will make for DVD? But since it sould be backward compatible we would basically be listening to basic DD, as that a incorrect assesment? I dont see it being usefull to encode DVD's in DD+ if there are no processors out there besides a HD-A1 for playing them. The only thing I have been noticing is that Blu-ray discs only seem to be using DD & DTS.

http://www.dolby.com/images/products...able_800px.jpg

On the chart Dolby says Dolby Digital Plus can only do 7.1 on HD-DVD & Blu-ray so who are they trying to fool? What information is true, I dont think DD+ can support over 7.1. But I would not be supprised if Dolby True HD could actually support over 8 channels. But even that chart says that Dolby True HD on HD-DVD & Blu-ray is limited at 8 channels. Dolby needs to get there information straight instead of saying two different things on there web site.

I am looking forward to owning the Mission Impossible 3 movie HD-DVD set in October since I only have the second movie on SD-DVD.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Not bad at all considering it's usually about 19.95 for each, and add the 10% discount we Amazon HD folks are using and it's a pretty good deal for sure. Is there box art yet James?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
That's $16.79 for each movie. So really only about a dollar or so less than buying separately...if buying thru Amazon and their 10% off deal.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Bestprices.com has this for $56.99 on their site (the package with all 3 HD films that is). Plus if you use google checkout for this site you will save another $10 on the order. You do have to pay shipping though. My order worked out to be $49 shipped. Best price anywhere on this item.

Thanks to the folks at DVDTALK for this info btw.

Greg

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I think these newer films like Batman Begins, MI-3 and such and hopefully Superman Returns looking so great on HD-DVD will help the format get off it's feet even more. I know there are some out there waiting for films like these before they get sucked in ;)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I'll definitely pickup MI:3 on HD some day. Glad to hear it looks great on both formats. Odd no DTS on the Blu-Ray (and no PCM either?). They must have really wanted to max the bitrate to ensure it lived up to the HD-DVD version with the advanced compression and entire disc devoted to the feature (2 layer I'm guessing). Hopefully, there won't be any problems with the MPEG4 on the upcoming Blu-Ray titles. At least they're putting out decent product, even if they haven't maximized the potential yet.

I was surprised that I enjoyed MI3 a great deal. I'd say it was the best summer movie (that is when you give Snakes on a Plane its own category:)). Hopefully, I'll get a good deal on it some time. I have no desire to get the other two. I already have MI:2, which is rarely watched when I want a good laugh at the vanity trip it is and some mindless action, and I didn't much care for the original.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

re: the br version, if it's br50 what is the point of all the space if it is 2 discs
and no dts, no pcm and no extra features on the movie disc

i dont get it

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
While I enjoyed the movie in the theatre, MI3 does not have the replay factor to justify buying it. Heck, I saw it in the theatre and am not motivated enough to even rent it.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to this release. My personal favorite is the first one, with the third one not far behind. The second one was kinda blah-I didn't like the score at all-but, being the anal retentive completist, I must have all three. ;)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Same here Larry. The first one is still my fave, by far. MI-2 does have some cool moments and fairly hip soundtrack at times...a bit too much kickboxing for me :D...MI-3 is much better. Not perfect, but worked even better the second time.

And, according to the review I pasted, looks like MI-3 has one of the best, if not the best image/audio on ANY HD format. That alone is worth a buy for me. If I can buy Sahara (mildly decent film)....:)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Sadly, I think they pretty much have to use the first disc for the feature since it's MPEG-2 maxed out for the best HD video possible with the codec, at least to ensure it was indistinguishable from the HD-DVD image.

Even if they'd gone with one of the newer codecs, Paramount might have wanted 2-discs as they're saying it's their strategy since 2-disc sets sell better than 1-disc sets (the more is better philosophy of the consumer).

I'm bummed about the lack of dts and PCM too, but I'm guessing they did what they had to to ensure the video was top notch since while using the MPEG-2 crutch. Still, higher bitrate DD is an improvement over DVD DD. But, if I had both players in my rack (and I have NONE:frowning:), yeah, I'd definitely pick the HD-DVD disc over the Blu-Ray).

I wonder if HD-DVD could have packed the extras on one disc without any compromises.

If Blu-Ray was firing on all thrusters, that would be the way to promote their disc over the HD-DVD release (Blu-Ray delivers EVERYTHING on one disc!), but who knows if Paramount would even allow it? I'm guessing if the studio says 2-discs, it GETS 2 discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks