What's new

Missed Photo Opportunities. (1 Viewer)

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
This is like one of those fish that got away stories.

Yesterday we were sitting on our boat dock at sunset and about 75 yards away on the opposite bank was a large crane trying to catch fish. A black & white cat was sneaking up on the crane.

Looking through binoculars it would have made a perfect shot with an arch of tree branches overhead, the crane looking into the water, and the cat about to pounce.

Surely this missed opportunity justifies buying at least a 300mm telephoto lens right?

Do you have any missed photo opportunities?

Julie K

Screenwriter
I was photographing a flower up close and just as I hit the shutter a hummingbird zoomed in and starting drinking nectar from the flower. I quickly refocused for what I though would be a fantastic shot. I pressed the shutter button and nothing. The battery had died.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I was mountain biking in Central Maine. I came around a curve on a wide trail at about 20mph, and came face to face with three deer - a male with a full rack, a female and a young one.

I managed to hit the brakes, coming to a stop no more than 10 feet from them. They did not run.

My SLR was in my pack, but I was so intrigued at being so close to them that, rather than rummaging for the camera and scaring them away, we all just stood and looked at one another for about 20 to 30 seconds before they slowly walked off into the woods.

-Scott

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I was in Paris for the end of the 2002 Tour de France. Lance Armstrong was making his victory lap. A friend is next to me waving a US Flag. Lance rides by, turns my direction, and gives a thumbs-up. I click. I get the roll developed only to see the picture was completely out of focus as I had never changed the focus from the infinity setting that it was previously set for.

The Tour has been a source of bad luck. 2000 - camera dies and I have to use my little snapshot camera. 2002 - In addition to the story above I was at the Prologue and got a great pic of Lance only to find out that I had ISO 400 film in a camera set for ISO 800. Under exposed. 2003 - Paris and everything tells me I got my shots except when I develop the roll and see a series of six pictures, all of Lance, are blank. Shutter stayed shut.

I'll try again next year.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

1st quote: Out of focus, looks like a ghost.

2nd quote: A dark phantom

3rd quote: Just disappeared

I wonder how much his competition will see of him staring this Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks