What's new

MIRAMAX, UA & AMERICAN ZOETROPE - Re: Apocalypse Now Redux in OAR on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
I want to voice my opinion that "Apocalypse Now Redux" be presented in it's original theatrical 2.35:1 aspect radio when released to DVD. I just saw the film in the theater, and it is a breath-taking achivement. I also own the previous Paramount DVD, and feel that the cropping of the picture has marred an otherwise great DVD release of this classic film.
I know that DP Vittorio Storaro wanted the original film presented in a 16x9 aspect ratio for DVD, but my opinion is that he ought to keep that aspect ratio for all his current (theatrical) work, and allow past work to be seen in the original theatrical aspect ratio. The Paramount DVD feels a little clausterphobic to me, and it does affect my perception of the film. Please seriously consider a 2.35 release of "Apocalypse Now Redux" on DVD. That way fans & film buffs can own the movie as we saw it in theaters, in all it's widescreen glory. Thank you.
JiM T

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Clearly a 2.35 transfer has been done of the Redux version. All the clips I've seen on television were in 2.35. Miramax has only the theatrical rights, Paramount is doing the DVD.
Jeff

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
quote:
I know that DP Vittorio Storaro wanted the original film presented in a 16x9 aspect ratio for DVD, but my opinion is that he ought to keep that aspect ratio for all his current (theatrical) work, and allow past work to be seen in the original theatrical aspect ratio.
[/quote]
Actually, Vittario Storaro wanted all home video versions of Apocalypse Now to be in the 2.00:1 ratio not a 16x9 aspect ratio.
The widscreen Laserdiscs were in the 2:1 ratio as were the widescreen VHS tapes. Vittario Storaro also was DP on Tucker: A Man & His Dream and the LD & DVDs both represent a 2:1 ratio for this film.
TAR(Theatrical Aspect Ratio) has nothing to do with Apocalypse Now or Apocalypse Now Redux. What really matters for this film is the IAR or Intended Aspect Ratio. Storaro could not display the 2:1 ratio in many theaters so he shot 2.35:1 with dead space on the sides. Then when the home video versions were being prepped, he could then use his preferred AR of 2:1.
And my apologies to forum moderators. I do know this is a studio feedaback area.
------------------
[Edited last by rutger_s on August 10, 2001 at 04:13 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread