What's new

Minimizing Aliasing on HDTVs and poor picture quality? (Xbox and Gamecube) (1 Viewer)

Tom_Maher

Stunt Coordinator
I have Toshiba 56X81 Widescreen HDTV set with both an Xbox and Gamecube hooked up through the component video cables and set to progressive scan mode on all the games that support it. Unfortunately, games on both systems exhibit TERRIBLE aliasing and a general fuziness. Even DOA3 on the Xbox looks poor on my setup, with tremendous aliasing on the characters and fuzzy backgrounds. Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube also exhibits the same effects. As for cables, I am using the Microsoft HD pack for the Xbox and the official Nintendo component cables for the Gamecube. The picture is so poor, in fact, that it looks better on my older 35 inch Sony Trinitron via S-video (which is unfortunately the family room TV, making it unusable for videogaming). My HDTV has been calibrated using Video Essentials and Avia and it looks great when watching DVDs. Is there anyway to improve the visual quality when playing console games or am I stuck with the way it is? Thanks for the help!

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
This may be a stupid question, but have you set the output on the machines to progressive mode?

I just got a brand-new Mits WT-46809, and while I haven't had a chance to fire up the Cube, my XBox (and DOA3) looks spectacular...

James St

Supporting Actor
Tom, I have a Pioneer 533 and do notice some jaggies but I don't think it's that bad. You may want to re-calibrate your input with Avia or VE using your XBox. I noticed an improvement when doing so.

Also, do you own a current year Toshiba or previous year's model? The current models up-convert all 480i/480p signals to 540p. This will introduce additional noise to the picture.

Tom_Maher

Stunt Coordinator
I made sure that both consoles were set to Progressive mode (a couple times actually, as I was shocked that the picture still looked terrible even in Progressive mode!). I own the 2001 model HDTV Widescreen from Toshiba, so it does not upconvert to 540p. I will try recalibrating from the specifc input the Xbox and Gamecube use. I'm really surprised how terrible these consoles can look when DVDs look pheonemenal. Thanks for the help though!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
tom i have the same tv and gamecube. what do i need to hook this up for progressive game playing. and what should i expect to pay for the connector?

Tom_Maher

Stunt Coordinator
Tony, head on over to www.nintendo.com and go to their store. Go to the Gamecube section, and then the parts and accessories section. You are looking for the Component Video Cable which is $29.95. AFAIK, this is the only place where you can obtain Component Cables for the Gamecube. The connectors do offer an improvement over S-Video on the Toshiba but even in Progressive mode it still looks worse than on my 35 inch Sony Trinition via S-Video. Aliasing is a major problem, but not enough to totally ruin the experience. If you definately plan on hooking your Gamecube up to the Toshiba set, I would pick up a set of Component Cables. Hopefully, with further calibration I will be ableo to fix the visual problems with the system (strangely, Wave Race: Blue Storm looks quite good, but Eternal Darkness suffers from some terrible aliasing at times). If/When you do get them, post here with your results, it would interesing to see how another setup fares with the cables.

Damien

Supporting Actor
wow, that sucks, how freaking hard is it for companies too get rid off jaggiess? The best route is to re-calibirate your tv for games and just use it under sports or something. TV's calibirated for movies are way too dark, muddy, and washed out for games. I good think to do is to jack the big five settings up around 20%. Make sure your TV''s and X-box settings agree.(X-box can do 480p, not 1080!!) Otherwise try s-video on the widescreeen and see if that helps

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
It's pretty hard.

You can either render at higher resolutions, or use full-screen anti-aliasing which cuts into the fill-rate. The GeForce4 supposedly does a pretty nice job with FSAA, but past versions just eat up fill-rate.

I notice jaggies, but it's much better than any other console.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
Geez, Bill... how does a guy find a woman like that at the national HT meet? Well done.
Cheers,
Steve :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thanks tom. i'm not sure i will buy this. i was thinking maybe about 15 bucks.
but if i do i'll let you know how it looks.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
No way you paid $150/$200 for a 'Cube and thousands for a TV and are bitching about $30? I can't understand that, dude. Even Monster's special made cables for the XBOX and PS2 are more than that. To each their own, I guess...

Matt

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
The component cables from Nintendo are easily one of the best $30 I've ever spent. Eternal Darkness alone in 480p and 16x9 makes it worth it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks