1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

MiniDV question... I couldn't figure out which forum to post in!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin Sharp, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Kevin Sharp

Kevin Sharp Stunt Coordinator

I am going to buy my first MiniDv camcorder, but some of the things I film need to be transferred to VHS tapes. To do this I need analog inputs, no? Most of the camcorders I look at don't have these.

Is there something I'm missing here?

2. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

You need analog OUTPUTS. All camcorders have these.

3. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

You will need analog inputs on your VHS vcr. As Rob stated, all camcorders have analog audio/video outputs.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm not sure I understand your question, but let me try to give you advice.

If you are looking to transfer FROM DV TO VHS, all you need to do is hook the A/V output from the DV Camcorder to your VHS inputs. Easy as pie, all camcorders have A/V outputs somewhere and most all VCRs have inputs.

If what you are trying to do is transfer video information FROM VHS TO DV (or your computer using your yet-to-be-bought MiniDV camcorder as a bridge) you can do this by plugging the A/V OUTPUT from your VHS machine to the A/V INPUT on a MiniDV camcorder.

As you have observed, a minority of DV Camcorders have an A/V INPUT though all have an A/V output.