What's new

Mini-Review: Yamaha HTR-5760 Receiver (2 Viewers)

Gene S

Agent
A question for any 5760 owners. Do you get the on screen display through component? I know it doesn't upconvert to component. But reading the manual, it looks like it should but I can't get it to work.

Thanks
Gene

skip marr

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,

Please elabrate on my situation. I have cable, but do not use the cable boxes. We simply go direct in to the TV set with the coax cable, as most channels are unscrambled and we watch a lot of DVD.

So will I get on screen display and how? As you might suspect, we have the DVD connected to the TV with componenet cables, but no surround receiver yet.

Please advise. Thanks.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
I am actually in a simular situation as you are skip. I have three sources that are all component video sources. What I ended up doing was running a regular RCA type video cable to another of my tv's inputs. when ever i need to make adjustments to the reciever like a calabration i will just switch to that video input on the tv. It is kinda inconvient but it works. I have found that the component video upconversion woudl be one of the biggest avantages to going with the 5790 now that I have had my 5760 for awhile.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Skip,

When I had my 5760, I used S-Video connections so that the on-screen display could pass through. I didn't have a need for component connections/cables at the time. I mainly just wanted the information to be present on the screen when I would adjust the volume levels - so I could see where the volume was set when watching a movie. Overall, I liked the feature, but scratched my head regarding the component cable and on-screen limitation.

I did post another thread here several months back with the same question. I think some good responses were placed in that thread. If you search for it, you might find it.

I currently have a Pioneer Elite 54TX. Unfortunately, the volume level does not get displayed via the on-screen display each time the volume level gets changed.

I'll still state that for the money, the 5760 can't be touched. Too many good features in that package for a receiver. :)

JustinG

Stunt Coordinator
I had a problem with my OSD flickering over composite. Maybe a cruddy cable, so I turned it off unless I need to tweak settings.

This recr is pretty awesome. PL2x kicks all sorts of butt. I have it running in 7.1 for everything. Sat TV sounds pretty awesome. And good 2 ch. sources (like DD 2.0) are translated really well to 7.1. For the money, this receiver is top notch and I wouldn't trade it for anything (right now).

Hmm, i need to check my sub crossover. I did the YPAO and tweaked it with and SPL afterwards. It got levels and distances dead on except for the side surrounds that came in 2 dB low. Everything sounds fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks