What's new

Mini-Review: Yamaha HTR-5760 Receiver (1 Viewer)

johnny..bon

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Just set up my 5760 last night and did a quick manual calibration. It's way more detailed than the 5540 it replaced and the PLIIx Movie makes a big difference with the 7.1 setup. I have a question about DTS 6.1 Discrete. I Put in gladiator and set the ex/es to auto and it picked up the DTS 6.1 Discrete flag. I then set the DSP to "enhanced". Should I watch this DVD this way or turn the ex/es to on and enable PLIIx movie. I was listening at low volume last night and couldn't tell any difference. Does anyone know if either of these ways are right or wrong.

MaxMenon

Stunt Coordinator
if you have 2 surround back speakers ... then you should watch gladiator in dpl2x mode ... no other mode offers stereo surround backs.

max

Roy^B

Auditioning
Doug S, can you please post that URL for the online $540 price for the Yamaha HTR-5790?

Thanks!

Roy

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Roy,

You could try this link - the site at the top indicates the site is an "authorized" dealer - which is what I think Best Buy would be looking at when they do the match. The price is $549

DataVision

Doug_S

Auditioning
Roy-
I'm embarrassed to say I can't remember it! I think it was something like CamerasandElctronics.com or something. I found it by doing a Google search for "Yamaha htr 5790."

Sounds like the link Wayne mentioned will work.

Good luck!

Roy^B

Auditioning
Thanks gentlemen, I am printing the DataVision page now to take to my local BB.

Doug, I did the search and of the links presented DataVision provided the cheapest price.

Thanks, all for the great discussion on this forum. For a new guy like me it has been an eye opener (yeah, a wallet opener too.....)

Doug_S

Auditioning
Roy-
Let us know what happens - I dealt direct w/ the sales manager, but I'm curious to see if other BBs will match as well.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I'm not sure how complete the list is on the Yamaha site regarding Internet retailers. I find it hard to believe that only 8 or so are listed. Plus, Datavision has a brick and mortar presence - so, I guess they just might be selling their products under that umbrella - sort of like the Huppin's Hi-Fi and OneCall arrangement. :)

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Yeah there list could be outdated I suppose, in fact if I find a good price on the 650 or 5760 receiver from a place that claims to be authorized but is not on that list, I will just e-mail Yamaha and see what they say.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well last friday I went and got the 5760 to compare against my Pioneer 811s.
Though I haven't compared the 2 that much yet I think the Yammie is a tad warmer sounding then the Pioneer where I thought it would be the other way around.
Using Ypao setup my sub was way off(set it at 120).
It did set all my speakers to small. The speaker distance was exactly on for the rears but the fronts were all messed up(2-3ft) over what they should be. Also the subs distance was off as well.
I thought the front speakers being at +2.5 were way off but once I ran DVE those settings were correct maybe .5 too much but close.
All the other settings listed I left alone as I didn't look into what they did yet...
I watched alot of movies over the weekend and so far so good.
Will do more testing as I have time....

FYI I am using my Parasound 5 channel amp with this as well.

Truthfully I don't know if I would use any of the DSP modes....

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well last friday I went and got the 5760 to compare against my Pioneer 811s.
Though I haven't compared the 2 that much yet I think the Yammie is a tad warmer sounding then the Pioneer where I thought it would be the other way around.
Using Ypao setup my sub was way off(set it at 120).
It did set all my speakers to small. The speaker distance was exactly on for the rears but the fronts were all messed up(2-3ft) over what they should be. Also the subs distance was off as well.
I thought the front speakers being at +2.5 were way off but once I ran DVE those settings were correct maybe .5 too much but close.
All the other settings listed I left alone as I didn't look into what they did yet...
I watched alot of movies over the weekend and so far so good.
Will do more testing as I have time....

FYI I am using my Parasound 5 channel amp with this as well.

Truthfully I don't know if I would use any of the DSP modes....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks