What's new

Blu-ray Review Mimic Director's Cut Blu-Ray Review (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
65c41aca_Mimic-Blu-ray.jpeg

Mimic The Directors Cut

AVC-MPEG4 CODEC @ 38.6 AWBR

1080P @ 1.85 AR

DTS-MA 7.1 Audio

Studio: Miramax

Distributed by Lionsgate

Street Date: September 27

I’m not a person who leaps up and goes to any and every horror film. In fact, the genre for the most part doesn’t work for me. I think a large reason for that is that creativity has been sucked from the format. We have “Horror Film 9” and so on. Sequel after Sequel, shot after shot with tons of effects and grotesque death scenes, but not a lot of originality. But there was something about Mimic that I found approachable even on the first release. The basic premise, revolving around the evolution of a species – in this case bugs – who slowly became a passable knock off of man, allowing them to pass in New York day to day life. I enjoyed the film in the theater, owned in on Laserdsic, grabbed it on DVD. There was something about Mimic that I always enjoyed. But as much as I enjoyed the film, I realized that there were faults present that had it walking the edge between monster-movie camp and a brilliant effort of suspense.

2dda2f78_Shot1.bmp

The opening story gives us that dark feeling right off the bat

At the time that Mimic was release, Del Toro wasn’t respected as a director, visionary the way he is now. It’s not a stretch to say he just “didn’t have the juice” to fully commit to his vision. In one of the better extras I’ve seen on a disc, del Toro explains that he was very upset that the ending he really wanted wasn’t produced and that there were too many changes to the film to really fulfill his vision. At the same time, he pointed out that he liked the heart of the film – that he had cut things he thought were pointless, removed second crew footage and replaced with his shots, and had reset the film to be what he wanted.

So how would mimic change from the original presentation? Well, the changes, some very minor, some a matter of pacing, and some inserts manage to change the narrative flow and give it a different and frankly more satisfying feel. That’s hard to say because I enjoy the original presentation, but I find this version to pull off something truly unique – it managed to tighten the focus and make the film move at a more brisk pace, but it also managed to flush out those scenes and conclusions where needed to give it a much larger scope, to allow all of the characters to feel so much more involved.

ffa9996f_Mira-1.bmp

Some of the emotional weight of the film really work here and reminded me of why I liked this film in the first place. This is one of the few films were I can say that the directors cut (for me) is a significant improvement over the original. When you like a film originally, that’s a hard thing to say – because here, I’m saying a film I like is now both different, and improved. There is something frightening and special about Mimic – it’s not just a horror film with a big monster; it’s a horror film that makes great use of suspense, misdirection, and surprise.

Video Quality 4 / 5

06d066cc_DropsofRain.bmp

The view from the street as rain falls gives us a near ability to count droplets in this transfer

This film is transferred in AVC-MPEG4 CODEC with an AWBR of 36.8Mbps. It’s a 1080P transfer at 1.85AR. I admit, I was pretty surprised by the AWBR here. The reason I’m surprised is that because this is a film that is based on a very dark look, with a lot of scenes being nearly completely black. This creates a real complex problem for Blu-Ray; I could knock this film for obvious issues with black crush, but frankly the large sets of black are rendered about as well as I can expect. But the high bit rate makes the private scenes with minimal lighting and the scenes where we have the full light of day truly shine. Here, we have fantastic detail rendered into complex scenes. On DVD, many of these scenes looked like staring at a blank screen. Here, minor details, background splashes, refracted light – it all seems to work in a way I hadn’t noticed before. It’s not to say that it’s perfect – it isn’t. But it’s a better transfer then I expected, and I have to take that into account.

6d79e8c1_Boy.bmp

The boy discovers that his call with spoons may attract a crowd he doesn't suspect

Audio Quality 5 / 5

Sometimes I can be stunned by an audio soundtrack. Mimic is redone in a masterful DTS-MA 7.1 Mix that gives an incredibly creepy, mood driven soundtrack that can crash your living room and cause you to leap out of your chair. And how does it make you leap from your chair? It’s the clicking, the sound of wings flapping.. lightly at first, then louder as they circle and engulf you in your livingroom. The terrifying sound of being trapped in a subway car as the wings and clicking of the bugs circle around them – and you – moving around your room – an effect I found completely intoxicating. It was like being hit by a boxer, no heavy blows, but you are off balance, not knowing “where the bugs are!” all around you, a click from the front right; suddenly rear left; then surround right; the entire soundfield of 7.1 is put to real effective use. The soundtrack is flat out fantastic and should be studied by any other film in this genre to show how to use minor background noises to terrify and keep the audience off balance.

817feb2a_SubwayCar.bmp

The clicking that surrounds the subway car gets to everyone..

The Extras 4 / 5

Audio Commentary with del Toro is fun, it really provides something to the film, with his comments, grouses praise and rants, it's quite enjoyable.

Video Prologue – Here, del Toro gives his “this is as close as it gets” to his vision, laying out that there are some things he still wishes he could change, but he is happy that this is as far as it’s ever going to come. This kicks off a set of extra features I would call “The Frank and Honest” extras..

Reclaiming Mimic – 14:31, 1080P – This is a long talk with del Toro about how he originally imagined “Mimic” what he liked about it, and what was changed before it went to the theaters that bothered him. Frankly, this is one of the most honest extras I ever remember on a Blu-Ray.. when del Toro says “I told the studio, fuck that shit, who watches that? Nobody remembers that shit.” I was in stitches. He recounts his fights with the studio, lays out what was frustrating and what really drew him to the film “Yes, this

is a B movie, but I knew it could be a good one.” I LOVED this extra, which is definitely worth the watch.

730900d2_Extras.bmp

A Leap of Evolution – SD, MPEG2, 9:35 – This is a carry over and focuses on the creature design.

Back in the Tunners – SD, MPEG2, 5:23 – This is your standard cast and crew interviews about the film.

Deleted Scenes – SD, MPEG2 (and frankly looks very bad) 5:11 – three scenes are present, but most notable is the alternate, troubling ending.

Story Board Animatics – SD, MPEG2, 6:05 – Six different sequences in the film played out in storyboard…. How they were originally envisioned. I wish we could have had this as a pop-up against the film to see the changes that were made.

Gag Reel – 2:20, SD, MPEG2 – This is your standard gag real, with a big focus on how often actors lick their lips (?) but some cute moments as well.

Also included is a digital copy DVD for PC / Mac.

Overall 4 / 5

If you’re a del Toro fan, this is already on your buy list. It’s a chance to see a film that really started off a lot of del Toro’s work, and shows him before he really grew as a director. But even if you’re not a huge del Toro fan, I’m going to tell you that this should be on your list of films to grab; the audio soundtrack is flat out fantastic and the film presented is a fun romp. When there are so many horror sequels out there, original thought is at a premium. Mimic doesn’t always fulfill the promise but it is far more fun than I think people expect. Grab some popcorn and sit down. Charles S. Dutton turns in a great performance, Sorvino is entertaining and surprisingly believable, and the camera work and monsters make this a good afternoon’s viewing. If you’re a fan of the original, definitely take the time to see the director’s cut, it’s completely worth it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the excellent review Matt! I'm looking forward to receiving my copy this week and it's good to know it's a solid release.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Definitely watch the Reclaiming special feature.. it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen as a director explains a recut.. the way he refers to the studio - REPEATEDLY - and makes slashes at "who the f-- wants everything explained to them? Is a great film something you can explain in a few minutes or something you say "I got it" " Great.. he's so animated in that.. it's a blast.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Del Toro is great. I didn't really like Blade 2 at first, but I picked it up cheap and listened to his commentary. He had me laughing through most of it because of his self-effacing humor and brutal honesty about his own work.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, it's a blast. I just noticed this thing is going to be less then $10 from Amazon.. hell, it should be blind-buy material for quite a few just for the 7.1 soundtrack for some.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
I have this pre-ordered at Amazon (for their very nice price of $9.99), and am looking forward to revisiting it. I really enjoyed the film back in the 90's, but am double excited to see it restored to Del Toro's original intentions.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Del Toro is a funny, quirky (in a good way) guy. I'm looking forward to the extras now too.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've already ordered this and am awaiting this arrival. Is this a Director's Cut only or is the theatrical version also included?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I could check again, but I'm pretty sure (like 99%) it's just directors cut; I don't remember seeing any other option, and frankly I don't know how they would pull it off with the extensive edits and high bitrate. Definitely worth it though; if you liked the theatrical, this is a treat.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
For those who are interested in owning the theatrical cut also, it appears to be availabe on Blu-ray in Canada. You should be able to get it from amazon.ca

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It is indeed just the director's cut. And speaking of the director, I watched the extras last night. And you were right Matt - Del Toro's interview in the "Reclaiming Mimic" featurette is really great. Talking about how the Hollywood studios feel that everything transpiring in a film should be explained to the audience he responds with, among other things, "I say fuck that shit!" Hilarious!!! All-in-all a good video/audio presentation of a very good film and at $10, a fantastic deal.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
dpippel said:
It is indeed just the director's cut. And speaking of the director, I watched the extras last night. And you were right Matt - Del Toro's interview in the "Reclaiming Mimic" featurette is really great. Talking about how the Hollywood studios feel that everything transpiring in a film should be explained to the audience he responds with, among other things, "I say fuck that shit!" Hilarious!!! All-in-all a good video/audio presentation of a very good film and at $10, a fantastic deal.
Yeah, his commentary cracked me up and that featurette is classic. Also in there "so if you don't like it, it's not second-crew shit, it's first-crew shit, and that's all mine, so you just don't like it."
:)
I laughed often. I wish more of the extras on discs were as open about "this is why I didn't like the original cut.." I wish more of the directors cut BDs had this kind of hilarious open moment.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This is slightly OT, but is in line with Del Toro's frankness. It's been years but I still remember the director's commentary on The Hidden with Kyle Machlachian and Michael Nouri. The director was talking about Nouri, wondering why he wasn't a big star, he's got talent and good looks. He stopped wondering when he worked with him on the movie. According to the director he's a first class jerk, basically an asshole, difficult to work with.
I'm paraphrasing and don't swear he used those exact words, but he was extremely blunt. I don't claim the director was correct, it might be the director was the asshole, but that's what was said. I was surpassed it was left in.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just finished watching this again. Hadn't watched it for over a year. What a marvelous, scary, creepy movie. I the ending that he describes in the featurette would have been fantastic. Time to make time for the commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks