What's new

Mill Creek to Re-release Sony TV Shows on DVD (1 Viewer)

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Starsky & Hutch complete series dvd set being released on November 11, 2014.
Interesting, does this mean that they are not continuing with the season relaeses?! I guess the S1 re-release did not sell well and they are just moving straight to a complete series release?! I suspect the same thing has happened with Wings, they re-released the first 4 seasons and now all of a sudden are going to be putting out a compete series release in the fall.
Also "Highway To Heaven" complete series dvd set being released on the same day.
I am surprised they are releasing this so soon after the release of S5, is there a rush to finish this series or something?! Unfortunately, this probably means that my dream of them re-releasing S2 with uncut episodes is probably dead as this release will most likely contain the same content as the season sets. Oh well, that was long shot anyway, especially with a budget outfit like Mill Creek.

Still no word on whether S4 contains uncut episodes, did no one buy this set?!

Real Name
Brad
Ron1973, I'm almost positive the episode you're referring to is called, "Clayton, Go Home." It's from season 2 and episode 16 from that season. And you're right, it's absolutely hilarious!! Hope this helps!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
Interesting, does this mean that they are not continuing with the season relaeses?! I guess the S1 re-release did not sell well and they are just moving straight to a complete series release?! I suspect the same thing has happened with Wings, they re-released the first 4 seasons and now all of a sudden are going to be putting out a compete series release in the fall.
Mill Creek has a long track record of doing this, where they released the first few seasons individually and then **bam** they release a complete series set. They did this previously for shows like: The Commish, Hunter, 21 Jump Street, Renegade, Pacific Blue, etc ...

By now, it seems to be their MO and is not surprising at all anymore.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
HugeBensonFan said:
Ron1973, I'm almost positive the episode you're referring to is called, "Clayton, Go Home." It's from season 2 and episode 16 from that season. And you're right, it's absolutely hilarious!! Hope this helps!
Yes, it does! My VHS tape is all jumpy so if it's S2, I can get it on DVD! I hate to get rid of that tape......some great stuff on it!

Edit: That's the one! Someone has it posted on YouTube but it's simply them pointing a phone or camera to the screen and recording it that way.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
IIRC, Mill Creek only released individual season sets for:

21 Jump Street - seasons 1 to 4
Pacific Blue - season 1
Renegade - seasons 1 and 2
Hunter - seasons 1 and 2
The Commish - seasons 1 and 2
The Greatest American Hero - seasons 1 and 2
Wiseguy - season 1

and skipped the rest of the seasons while releasing the complete series sets.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
jcroy said:
Mill Creek has a long track record of doing this, where they released the first few seasons individually and then **bam** they release a complete series set. They did this previously for shows like: The Commish, Hunter, 21 Jump Street, Renegade, Pacific Blue, etc ...

By now, it seems to be their MO and is not surprising at all anymore.
Do they at least finish out the season sets after the complete set is released?

If not, I'm really glad that Highway to Heaven's last season is already confirmed as coming out.

Edit: Judging by the post above, they don't. Lousy business practice that I'll have to keep in mind going forward if they pick up anything of interest to me.

I'll be playing the waiting game.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Lousy business practice that I'll have to keep in mind going forward if they pick up anything of interest to me.
Actually, it can be a good thing as well- depending on how you look at it. For a series that might not have sold very well, its good that they release a complete series set and don't just abandon it completely. Although having said that, they have abandoned some animated series- Postcards from Buster, Sabrina, the Teenage Witch & Tex Avery were abandoned and never completed.

jcroy, you missing one:

Grounded for Life - seasons 1 and 2

Also, Pacific Blue they released the complete series set the same day as season 1. I assume the complete series set sold better then the S1 set so why would they bother releasing the remaining seasons when most people who wanted that show probably bought the complete series set?!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
LeoA said:
Do they at least finish out the season sets after the complete set is released?
Good question.

The only cases I can think of offhand where subsequent season sets were released AFTER the complete series set was already released, were:

21 Jump Street - season 4
The Greatest American Hero - season 2

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
Actually, it can be a good thing as well- depending on how you look at it. For a series that might not have sold very well, its good that they release a complete series set and don't just abandon it completely. Although having said that, they have abandoned some animated series- Postcards from Buster, Sabrina, the Teenage Witch & Tex Avery were abandoned and never completed.
The one Mill Creek complete series set I might be interested in, would be a hypothetical Silk Stalkings complete series set. (It would probably be a 32 disc set, assuming 4 discs per season).

So far Mill Creek has only released season 1 and 6-8. The older out-of-print Anchor Bay releases of seasons 1 to 5 are really sky high in price these days.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
LeoA said:
Edit: Judging by the post above, they don't. Lousy business practice that I'll have to keep in mind going forward if they pick up anything of interest to me.

I'll be playing the waiting game.
With such an extensive lousy track record, perhaps it's not too surprising to see Mill Creek re-releasing a lot of the Sony stuff as two-season packs on the same day as the single season sets at a somewhat accelerated schedule. Releasing two seasons at a time for stuff like: I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Good Times, Diff'rent Strokes, etc ... Though for these shows, they are primarily two or three discs per season. (It might be harder to pull this off for a show that eats up four or five discs per season).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In the cases of Mill Creek releasing the Wings and Starsky & Hutch complete series sets before releasing all the previous seasons individually, I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing this if the sales were possibly lackluster for the already released season sets (ie. season 1 of Starky & Hutch and seasons 1+2 and 3+4 of Wings).

If sales were decent enough for Mill Creek, then I would guess they might continue on releasing the individual season sets, before releasing the complete series set. Perhaps this was the case for shows like 3rd Rock From the Sun, Roseanne, That 70's Show, and maybe Highway To Heaven.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In the case of Silk Stalkings, I wouldn't be surprised if the season 6-8 set was released as a "feeler" to see whether there is still a market for a possible complete series set, in addition to seasons 6 to 8 being released for the first time on dvd.

Season 1 was re-released back in 2010 by Mill Creek, but not seasons 2 to 5. If I had to guess, season 1 sales might have been lackluster.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
The one Mill Creek complete series set I might be interested in, would be a hypothetical Silk Stalkings complete series set. (It would probably be a 32 disc set, assuming 4 discs per season).
I am not sure if they would do a complete series set of this show as it is quite big (7 seasons, 176 episodes). I recall reading comments awhile back from someone at Mill Creek regarding future releases of this series. They stated at the time that they were still debating whether to continue releasing it and what kind of releases to do- combo sets or a huge complete series set. In the end they decided to release the final 3 seasons which had not been released previously. I think if they decide to re-release S2-5, most likely they will put out combo sets- S2&3, S4&5.
With such an extensive lousy track record, perhaps it's not too surprising to see Mill Creek re-releasing a lot of the Sony stuff as two-season packs on the same day as the single season sets at a somewhat accelerated schedule.
I actually like this practice and I believe that they are doing this for variety, to give people choice in how they want to purchase the product- individual seasons or the more economical combo packs. Also, it makes more sense IMO to release these at an accelerated pace since they are re-releases, the studios have already made their money from the original releases so no need to release one season at a time and take years to completely release all seasons. I am pleasantly surprised to see that they continue to release both the combo sets and the individual seasons, although it probably doesn't cost them anything extra as its the same discs in both sets, just packaged differently.

Even though the picture quality on their releases isn't the greatest, I think Mill Creek would be the better choice to release some of Sony's sitcoms that are stalled (227, Maude, One Day at a Time, Silver Spoons & Who's the Boss?). The low selling price for their sets will help attract casual fans which I think you need in order for some of these stalled series like to be completed.

Regarding Starsky & Hutch, if poor sales of S1 are the reason they are moving straight to a complete series set then I think you might see this happen with other series as well. Most fans of this series already bought the original releases from Sony, so it wouldn't be surprising then that Mill Creek's release did not do well.

Real Name
Brad
Does anyone think it's a possibility that MillCreek releases a complete series of Benson? 7 seasons 158 episodes. Does anyone know of any music rights issues with the series? Only thing I can think of is the Gladys Knight and the Pips episode, and maybe the Vegas episode.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I don't see any way to spin it as a positive for the consumer that Mill Creek apparently has a habit of starting off with cheaply priced season releases (Or combination packs), stops short of reaching the end, and then forces you to double dip if you want what's left by buying their $50 or $60 complete series release that includes the last few seasons they didn't put out by themselves.

If there wasn't money made in a cheaply priced season set, there isn't going to be with a much more expensive complete set. So it's not like we're just getting lucky that Mill Creek out of the kindness of their heart is wrapping up even their underperforming releases.

That's just a shady business practice and one, now that I've been made aware of it, that will have me be holding off in the future on their sets in anticipation of a complete set.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
I am not sure if they would do a complete series set of this show as it is quite big (7 seasons, 176 episodes). I recall reading comments awhile back from someone at Mill Creek regarding future releases of this series. They stated at the time that they were still debating whether to continue releasing it and what kind of releases to do- combo sets or a huge complete series set. In the end they decided to release the final 3 seasons which had not been released previously. I think if they decide to re-release S2-5, most likely they will put out combo sets- S2&3, S4&5.
I don't know how keen Mill Creek would be on doing 8 disc combo sets, like a s2&3 (or s4&5) Silk Stalkings set. (IIRC, season 5 was the weakest with the characters that replaced Chris and Rita in the middle of the season).

Another option is to release seasons 1-5 as a "complete Chris and Rita series" Silk Stalkings set. Something like this would probably be a 20 disc set.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
Also, Pacific Blue they released the complete series set the same day as season 1. I assume the complete series set sold better then the S1 set so why would they bother releasing the remaining seasons when most people who wanted that show probably bought the complete series set?!
(More generally).

I wouldn't be surprised if Mill Creek already knows that most of their stuff ends up in the dump bins relatively quickly, shortly after release. For tv show season sets, perhaps Mill Creek has adjusted their marketing strategy based on this premise.

Over the last few years, I frequently saw many of the individual tv season sets of various Mill Creek shows in the local $2 dump bins, such as: The Commish, 21 Jump Street, Renegade, Hunter, etc ... But the "complete series" dvd sets don't show up as often in the local bargain bins. (They occasionally show up at Walmart, such as the complete series sets of 3rd Rock From The Star, That 70s Show, Roseanne, etc ...).

One possible marketing strategy is to use the season 1 (or 2) sets found in the $2 bargain bins, as a way of enticing possible customers to find and buy the more expensive complete series sets. I don't know how effective such a strategy is.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
they released tour of duty. has anybody purchased it and if so is the original music intact.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Question to anyone who bought Mill Creek's release of "Soap" season 1 & 2: Are the episodes COMPLETE on this release?.....or is it still the same edited episode's like the Sony release? Curious to know.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i read a review over at amazon.com stating that tour of duty does not contain the original music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks