What's new

Mill Creek to Re-release Sony TV Shows on DVD (1 Viewer)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
At first I got excited thinking there was new hope for the remaining seasons of The Donna Reed Show but it sounds like that's not going to happen. :(

Wezzo

Second Unit
Neil Brock said:
Have you seen the last 2 seasons of Mad About You? Truly a show that jumped the shark if there ever was one.
I've seen bits and pieces, and you may well be right (I already thought S5 was a step down). But I'm a completist, and I like the show enough to want even subpar seasons.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yeah...not too excited about this news. It just seems like all that we're likey to get are those seasons that are already out. IF, anything new comes out, then I'll get exicted. I do have to say that Mill Creek did release the unedited first season of Roseanne that Anchor Bay didn't. So, I did get that. I didn't get Mill Creek's re-release of season 1 of That 70's Show. I just didn't see the need. The only restored part was a tiny part that was edited in the pilot episode. Other than that, the rest of the first season was as broadcast.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Rather than these endless re-releases why don't we get the more rare and popular shows that are stalled, like T.J. Hooker. Or not even out yet Eischied, Crazy Like a Fox, Hello Larry and Mike Hammer.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I have only got the Mill Creek re-releases of some OOP series on DVD. The quality is actually pretty good, way better than I expected, and the prices were very good, but the packaging is about as cheap as it gets.

I'm interested to see what they come up with. But not too sure about any BDs unless they're going to be exact ports of Sony titles.

I don't mind re-releases because the fact (for me) is too much stuff came out too quickly at too high a price. Now that there is (obviously) less and less stuff that I want (still "need"), I can *now* address some of the other currently-OOP titles that were just too expensive/overwhelming at the time.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
CraigF said:
I have only got the Mill Creek re-releases of some OOP series on DVD. The quality is actually pretty good, way better than I expected, and the prices were very good, but the packaging is about as cheap as it gets.

I'm interested to see what they come up with. But not too sure about any BDs unless they're going to be exact ports of Sony titles.

I don't mind re-releases because the fact (for me) is too much stuff came out too quickly at too high a price. Now that there is (obviously) less and less stuff that I want (still "need"), I can *now* address some of the other currently-OOP titles that were just too expensive/overwhelming at the time.
Hi Craig, I have over 105+ shows completed now. It is good to see more completed series are coming out as that is what i am looking for now ..

I am also interested in deals and there has been more deals recently!!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ That is a good point. I do not feel compelled to complete certain series when there was IMO a definite point that they "jumped the shark" or changed personnel etc. and I didn't like the results. Other than that, I do seem to have a sort of OCD/completist attitude in general: like I'll buy the last season of a show even though I know it sucked.

My main bugaboo is this though: shows that didn't get going until the third or fourth season. Back in the day that wasn't uncommon, unlike today where they're usually quick on the trigger finger. And they stopped releasing the DVDs after the first or second season because they didn't sell well because "everybody" who followed the show knows they weren't good seasons and was waiting for the later ones. IOW starting with S1/2 is often a bad idea, but they always seem to. The other part of this is S1/2 don't sell that well so they release the later and much better seasons in drastically reduced quality.

Bottom line is I'm much more likely to buy "less essential" or IMO lower quality releases if they're cheap...I'm counting on Mill Creek for that.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
CraigF said:
^ That is a good point. I do not feel compelled to complete certain series when there was IMO a definite point that they "jumped the shark" or changed personnel etc. and I didn't like the results. Other than that, I do seem to have a sort of OCD/completist attitude in general: like I'll buy the last season of a show even though I know it sucked.
I'm somewhat mixed on this issue too.

For example, I'm not too interested in the "Happy Days" seasons beyond season 4. (IIRC, the literal "jump the shark" episodes were the first three episodes of season 5). Though I could be tempted to pick up a dvd with just the first three episodes of season 5. ;)

There are a few other tv shows where I have almost all of the seasons except for the final (or final two) lackluster season(s), where I'm not in a rush to buy them, such as:

- Sliders season 5
- Airwolf season 4
- Starsky & Hutch seasons 3 and 4
- Mad Men seasons 5 and 6
- Lost seasons 5 and 6
- Nikita season 3
- The Lone Gunmen
- etc ...

Though I may pick them up as impulse buys, if I see them in the bargain bin for $10 each or less.

For other tv shows I have which have been stalled, I'm not particularly in a rush either to buy the subsequent seasons. (Shows like CHiPs, Murphy Brown, Welcome Back Kotter, Hart to Hart, Da Vinci's Inquest, Diff'rent Strokes, V.I.P., Archie Bunker's Place, etc ...).

My reasons at the present time, is that I just have too many tv show seasons sets collecting dust on the bookshelf, which I haven't finished watching yet or haven't watched at all. No point anymore in buying more and more tv season sets to just collect dust.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
With all that being said, I hope Mill Creek will eventually release a "Silk Stalkings" complete series dvd set sometime next year.

I never purchased any of the Anchor Bay versions from 2004-2006.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i believe the mike hammer series with stack keach was a sony release the first two tv movies anyways.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
The first batch of releases have been announced, the following will all be released on January 21:

Charlie's Angels Season 1
Dilbert Complete SeriesBewitched Seasons 1 & 2
Good Times Seasons 1 & 2
Just Shoot Me! Seasons 1 & 2
Married... with Children Seasons 1 & 2

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the other posters, who felt they'd rather get unreleased programs out rather than previously releases stuff.James

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
The first batch of releases have been announced, the following will all be released on January 21:

Charlie's Angels Season 1
Dilbert Complete SeriesBewitched Seasons 1 & 2
Good Times Seasons 1 & 2
Just Shoot Me! Seasons 1 & 2
Married... with Children Seasons 1 & 2
Amazon is listing the Bewitched seasons as having 3 discs each. Unless those are DVD-18s, there are going to be compression issues fitting 36 episodes onto 3 discs. I sure am glad that I already got the whole series from the Sony releases!

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Also on the side note, we all know Sony was going through some problems. Moving distribution of a lot of these properties over to the cheaper side, may be the goal here. They're MOD line is still going for the time being, but i imagine the way they probably see OOP titles keep popping up on ShopWB, i bet they know that it's best they keep there properties still available and if they need to cut costs by going to work with MC, then so be it.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
MattPriceTime said:
Also on the side note, we all know Sony was going through some problems. Moving distribution of a lot of these properties over to the cheaper side, may be the goal here. They're MOD line is still going for the time being, but i imagine the way they probably see OOP titles keep popping up on ShopWB, i bet they know that it's best they keep there properties still available and if they need to cut costs by going to work with MC, then so be it.

I also have some concerns with re-releases of series that were done a long time ago. Millcreek could be trying to drum up sales, but why would they not try two approaches: 1. releases some of the old shows 2. re-lease previous un-released shows.

Tooncy

Second Unit
As mentioned earlier, what a lot of the studios don't get is, some shows are more fondly remembered in mid-to-later seasons. For some series that ran 6 or 10 years, they might do better by releasing one of the middle seasons first, then branching out from there.

Tooncy

Second Unit
My take on Mill Creek is that they save money just using the masters already made for DVD releases. That's gotta be why they don't issue any new stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks