What's new

Mill Creek licenses 250 films from the Sony Pictures library for DVD and Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by rsmithjr /t/320274/mill-creek-licenses-250-films-from-the-sony-pictures-library-for-dvd-and-blu-ray/30#post_3920736
They cater to the folks who are spending the money.

That's a myth. They cater to people who THEY THINK will be more susceptible to changing their buying habits. Older people spend much more than younger people, but for the past 45+ years it's been thought that older people stick with the same brands they have grown accustomed to and therefore would be oblivious to new and different products. That's why advertising always skews young because once you've reached a certain age you are believed to be immune to it.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I think Mill Creek will follow the blueprint of Image and release titles that have already been released by Sony on DVD.
Where Image's releases were primarily 80s-I believe MC will be more broad-60s to 2000s.
Columbia Classics will release the never released on video/dvd titles and Criterion will get the specialized titles and Twilight Time the musicals/ score enhanced films.

Below are 250 titles that have previously been released on DVD. Many are OOP and many would make great Blu releases.

Mill Creek possibilities:

1960s: Wackiest Ship in the Army, Devil at 4 O'Clock , Sail a Crooked Ship , Walk on the Wild Side , Damn the Defiant , Diamond Head, Fail Safe , Lillith[, Lord Jim , Ship of Fools , Bunny Lake is Missing , The Bedford Incident , King Rat , The Chase , Born Free, The Trouble With Angels , Lost Command , Walk Don't Run , Georgy girl, Dead Heat on a Merry Go Round , Murderers Row , Taming of the Shrew , To Sir With Love , Divorce American Style , Doctor FaUSTUS , tORTURE gARDEN , Ambushers , The Swimmer , Dont Lower the Bridge-Raise the Water , Anzio, The Wrecking Crew ,. Mackennas Gold , Land Raiders , Castle Keep , Bob & Carol&Ted&Alice ,The Silencers, Marooned , Cactus Flower, The Looking Glass War/B]

1970s: Loving , Watermelon Man , Cromwell , Owl and the pussycat , I Walk the Line , Brother John , The Horsemen , And Now For Something Completely Different , JW Coop , Valachi POapers , Butterflies are Free, Theres A Girl In My Soup, $, Living Free, Fat City , Shamus , Creeping Flesh , Lords of Flatbush , CaLIFORNIA sPLIT , BREAKOUT , Hard Times , Shampoo, Robin and Marian ,Obsession, Harry and Walter Go To New York , Murder By Death, The Front b, Nickelodeon , Fun With Dick and Jane , The Greratest, You Light Up My Life , Caseys Shadow ,The Buddy Holly Story, The Cheap Detective , Thank God Its Friday , Eyes of Laura Mars, California Suite , Ice Castles , Hardcore , China Syndrome , The 5th Musketeer, The Villain, When a Stranger Calls

1980s:Gloria ,The Blue Lagoon, Seems Like Old Times , Modern Romance , Silent Rage , Things Are Tough All Over , Nice Dreams , Hanky Panky , Wrong Is Right , The Tempest , Krull, Educating Rita , Christine, The Dresser ,Thje Man Who Loved Women ,Micki and Maude , Sheena , The Razors Edge ,Body Double , A Soldiers Story , Perfect , The Last Dragon , Band of the Hand ,Sylvester , Perfect , Agnes of God , White Nights , Murphys Romance , Jo Jo Dancer , A Fine Mess , Sweethearts Dance , Thats Life , 84 Charing Cross Road , The Beast , Rocket Gibralter , New Adv of Pippi Longstocking , Stars and Bars , Vice Versa, Pulse, School Daze < Someone to watch Over Me , White Water summer , La Bamba, Punchline , thiungs Change , Fresh Horses , My stepmother is An Alien , Shes Out Of Control, The Big Picture , True Believer , Slaves of New York , Bloodhounds of Broadway , Old Gringo, Places in the Heart, Birdy , Runaway , The Muppets Take Manhattan ,Little Nikita, Real Genius , Songwriter, Private Resort, About Last Night , Peggy Sue Gort Married , No Mercy , Blind Date, Gardens of Stone , Nadine , The Principal, Like Father Like Son , For Keeps, Chances Are ,. Tap., Loverboy, Deepstar Six, See No Evil ,Hear No Evil, Blind Fury, Whos Harry Crumb?, The Seventh Sign , Sunset, The Blob, The Kiss, Look Whos Talking?,

1990s/2000s:Another You, I Love You To Death, Loose Cannons , The Freshman, Family Business, Look Whos Talking Too? , Toy Sodiers , Hudson Hawk, Bingo, Wind, Candyman, Threesome , Guarding Tess, Cops and Robbersons, Princess Caraboo, Return to the Blue Lagoon , The Forbidden Dance , Flatliners , Men of Respect , Postcartds From the Edge , Night of the Living Dead ,Double Impact , Under Suspician, Radio Flyer , Falling From Grace , Gladiator , Sleepwalkers , Mo Money , Single white Female , Hero , Hexed , The Pickle , Lost in Yonkers , Poeteic Justice , Striking Distance , My Life , Geronimo, I'll Do Anything , My Girl 2 , Wolf , Blankman, Money Train , I Like It Like That , Little Women , Higher Learning , Booty Call, Anaconda , Excess Baggage , I Knbow What You Did Last Summer , Replacement Killers , Nowhere to Run , Vampires , Shadrach , Les Miseables ,I Still Know What, Stepmonm., Idle Hands , 13th Floor, Bats , Drowning Mona , Running Free, 28 Days, Hanging Up, What planet Are You From?, I Dreamed of Africa, Loser , Hollow Man, Urban Legend , Finding Forreseter , Saving Silverman ,,The Animal, The One , Not Another Teen Movie, Sweetest Thing , enough, New Guy, Stealing Harvard, Maid in Manhattan, Sniper , Darkness Falls , Basic, Identity, Buddy , Fisher King

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I have been mulling over a couple of recent announcements, and I don’t know if it is joy or apprehension that I have at this moment. This deal with Mill Creek could be such a great partnership if done correctly. I own 1 yes only one Mill Creek title on blu ray the National Parks one, visually very good disc. So it the material is coming from Sony and the transfers are spot on, and some of the extra features that were on the dvd counterparts are there, it sort of makes this a no brainer. Now the apprehension part of me, I don’t want the same release that was already done by Sony then follower by Image, crack open the gate and let something else out fellas, and this is for 250 titles. I would love to see that list, and then there is the Twilight Time deal and Criterion, so this could be a great year for classic Columbia titles.

Not Yet On Blu Ray

A Matter Of Life Or Death ( Criterion hopefully)
American Madness (Capra)
All That Jazz (Twilight Time ?)
Christine
The Big Chill
A Raisin In The Sun
Cat Ballou
Golden Boy
A League Of Their Own
All The Kings Men (Oscar Best Picture 1949)
His Girl Friday
The Awful Truth
Born Yesterday (Judy Holiday)
The China Syndrome
Dead Reckoning (Bogart)
Educating Rita
Gilda –Nuff said!
From Here To Eternity
Funny Girl
Funny Lady
Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner
Holiday (Grant & Hepburn)
Heavy Metal 2000
In A Lonely Place (Bogart)
It Happened One Night—really wish Sony or Criterion do this one
Lady From Shanghai
Last Detail
A Man For All Seasons
Mr Deeds Goes To Town
Mr Smith Goes To Washington
Oliver! (Twilight Time ?)
On The Water Front
Only Angels Have Wings
Platinum Blonde (Harlow)
Ship Of Fools
Sleepless In Seattle
The Three Stooges Feature Length Theatrical Films
Tootsie
The Way We Were
The Wild One (Brando)
You Can’t Take It With You (Capra)

Any one of these in that list of 250? although from the list above my post i would jump on a Matt Helm Blu Ray Box

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Anyone can say a transfer has been 'Digitally Remastered". What they don't tell you is, what has it been remastered from? VHS? Laserdisc? More than likely, the latter. Just because something is on Blu-ray doesn't mean it's true high definition. I hope I'm proven wrong and these will be decent-looking DVDs but I find it hard to believe Sony would remaster 250 films only to license them out to a label with a less-than-stellar rep.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I'm looking forward to...(though I may be waiting a long time.....). None have been announced....
Sense and Sensibility
Remains of the Day
The Age of Innocence
A Man For All Seasons
The Victors..not ever released full length)
Cromwell

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
knew i had left some off of the list, as for S&S, that had been announced a long time ago but never happened, possibly it could be coming from this deal or maybe Criterion

Ratko Mladic

BANNED
What about Woody Allen's "Manhattan Murder Mystery" and "Husbands and Wives"?Both are Sony titles,right?It would be great if MC or some other label release it on Blu,in near future.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Paul Rossen said:
I'm looking forward to...(though I may be waiting a long time.....). None have been announced....
Sense and Sensibility
Remains of the Day
The Age of Innocence
A Man For All Seasons
The Victors..not ever released full length)
Cromwell
Except for Cromwell or The Victors- I think Sony will keep the others for themselves in deluxed editions. I believe this Mill Creek deal will be similar to their Disney one -releases of their lesser titles that we used to pickup in DVD in the $5 bins. Or Echo Bridge with Miramax.
I would love to see the Woody Allen films in Blu, but with Allens biggest hit ever last year -Midnight in Paris and his upcoming To Rome With Love, I think Sony would release these and Sweet and Lowdown themselves or in a Criterion box set.
J and R Music world in Manhattan has been selling Sony titles on DVD for $4.99 each. They did this also with Miramax titles and Disney titles a whil back -all of which later showed up on Mill Creek/Echo Bridge. I take that as a sign of them getting rid of the Sony titles.

Ratko Mladic

BANNED
If folks at Sony were willing to licence Oscar winning blockbuster - ASAIG - to other label,i really don't see why licencing few Allen's films (or titles that Paul Rossen mentioned) would be an issue?Obviously Sony doesn't put much value on their catalogue titles.Heck,i think even "On the Waterfront" is not certain at this point. I think only question for them is whether they should to licence particular title to CC,TT,Image or some other label.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Ratko Mladic /t/320274/mill-creek-licenses-250-films-from-the-sony-pictures-library-for-dvd-and-blu-ray/30#post_3921115
If folks at Sony were willing to licence Oscar winning blockbuster - ASAIG - to other label,i really don't see why licencing few Allen's films (or titles that Paul Rossen mentioned) would be an issue?

Okay, I give up. What is ASAIG?

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Twilight Time and Criterion are boutique labels that will put care and effort into Columbias prestige films.I believe TT may be the ones to do Funny Girl/Lady, or Sony themselves will do a 45th Anni SE of it next year. The Way We Were also would lend itself to a Twilight Bluray -but Streisands other Sony films -For Petes Sake and The Mirror Has Two Faces lend itself more to a run of the Mill Creek release.
Going only by Mill Creeks track record with the Disney films-the Blu's are not as special as the other 2 companies-but, that doesnt mean they are bad- just not "special".
That said-any one of the films I or anyone else has listed as possibilities would be great to have as affordable Blu rays. Here is where Mill Creek will serve a great purpose. I would love to see Shampoo, The Eyes of Laura Mars, Hardcore ,Thank God Its Friday -all guilty pleasures -on Bluray without having to spend 30 bucks a pop to own them (although as trailer on these would be great!).
Sony seems to be very eclectic. The Odessa File is forthcoming as a Sony release-through Image- a film that seemed perfect for the Mill Creek set.
I think they have greater plans for the Woody Allen Sonys-Husbands and Wives-the first -is 20 this year and is important as Mias last. I can see them as a Criterion box set . Criterion has deals with MGM/Fox and Paramount-so I can see a complete Allen set-that seems to cover all of them.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'm a bit skeptical as to what percentage of these 250 titles will make it to blu-ray. Hopefully roughly half get released in HD.

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
JoHud said:
I'm a bit skeptical as to what percentage of these 250 titles will make it to blu-ray. Hopefully roughly half get released in HD.
I would bet most do. I don't know the specifics of the Mill Creek deal, but if it's anything like the Twilight Time deal (and I would bet it is), it's limited to films Sony has already released on DVD. What would be the purpose of licensing them if you're just going to redo what Sony has done? Maybe they could create multi-movie packages on DVD, but I think we'll see a healthy number on Blu. I just hope they get some more decent films along the lines of the classics listed in the press release and not just tons of mediocre 80's and 90's films.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Louis Letizia /t/320274/mill-creek-licenses-250-films-from-the-sony-pictures-library-for-dvd-and-blu-ray/30#post_3921309
Sony seems to be very eclectic. The Odessa File is forthcoming as a Sony release-through Image- a film that seemed perfect for the Mill Creek set.

I have a feeling that Mill Creek's releases will be very similar to the Image releases - quality elements provided by Sony, but barebones discs with minimal language options. It may even be the case that Image will no longer distribute any Sony titles, with Mill Creek taking over that deal/role. There are, after all, no further Sony via Image releases announced beyond the releases of The Order and The Odessa File on May 15th.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks