What's new

Mill Creek licenses 250 films from the Sony Pictures library for DVD and Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
^ True.

Originally Posted by elDomenechHTF /t/320274/mill-creek-licenses-250-films-from-the-sony-pictures-library-for-dvd-and-blu-ray#post_3920167
Maybe they should abandon motion picture making/distributing altogether and go back to what they used to do best: Making/selling walkmans (now MP3 players) and home entertainment hardware.

Their film division is actually making money, as Sean & Glen point out. Their biggest issue lately has been their TV manufacturing/sales division.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Neat! I was just thinking about The Last Detail. Not to sound perverted, but I have a thing for Carol Kane. Hey, I'd pay her just to talk. :p

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Sony is opening a new Blu-Ray plant in the south of the USA. They closed a cd plant in N.J. So I don't think they are giving up on the format!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'm happy for this as long as Mill Creek doesn't give in to its PD bargain bin roots like Echo Bridge did with Miramax and start squeezing and extra buck off of its releases by crunching multiple films on one single layer DVD. If they can do it without affecting bit-rate or causing macroblocking, fine, but I'm a bit worried of another repeat of Echo Bridge.
Also, Bonjour Tristesse is officially back in print. Could there be others, such as the now-scarce Experiment in Terror.

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
Apparently, the Mill Creek press release is mistaken in including Bonjour Tristesse as part of their Sony deal. Twilight Time noted on their facebook page that Bonjour is actually licensed to them, rather than Mill Creek.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/320274/mill-creek-licenses-250-films-from-the-sony-pictures-library-for-dvd-and-blu-ray#post_3919682
It is very strange not seeing Funny Girl or The Way We Were yet on Blu-ray. Funny Girl seems to be the ONE musical of Columbia's that plays very frequently on TCM, much more so than Oliver! or Bye Bye Birdie or certainly Annie.

Sony has announced a huge push for later in 2012 to celebrate Streisand's 50th anniversary with them. They announced a 12-dvd set of rare and unreleased footage (i.e. a Just For The Record video collection.) I'm sure some catalogue film titles of hers will make it to blu this year as well. Plus, as we all know studios LOVE anniversary dates for major releases, and next year is the 45th Anniversary of Funny Girl and the 40th of The Way We Were. So chances are, those two will probably see blu in 2013.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Professor Echo said:
According to my insider they don't have a lot of interest in Blu Ray anymore and are focusing all their efforts on 3-D without glasses.
This is not quite what I am hearing. Sony sees Blu-ray as a success but that much of the development and marketing has taken place, it is now just a matter of continuing the rollout. So, they don't have to do a lot of strategic thinking about it.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
kingofthejungle said:
Apparently, the Mill Creek press release is mistaken in including Bonjour Tristesse as part of their Sony deal. Twilight Time noted on their facebook page that Bonjour is actually licensed to them, rather than Mill Creek.
Even better, as the DVD transfer wasn't exactly outstanding. Plus, the TT price will actually rival if not be an improvement the current DVD prices.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by rsmithjr /t/320274/mill-creek-licenses-250-films-from-the-sony-pictures-library-for-dvd-and-blu-ray#post_3920633
This is not quite what I am hearing. Sony sees Blu-ray as a success but that much of the development and marketing has taken place, it is now just a matter of continuing the rollout. So, they don't have to do a lot of strategic thinking about it.

My SONY contact was pretty high up in the food chain, but she left there last summer,so maybe they are recently renewing interest in Blu Ray? According to her months ago they were investing a lot in 3-D and letting everything else just kind of stabilize or fade away. I thought it was a huge mistake and still do, but SONY isn't asking me what I think. More's the pity.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Professor Echo said:
The only division of Sony that is doing well is theatrical feature films. Their electronics division has been in terrible shape for many years as they were caught napping when the iPod came out. They have never been able to catch up. According to my insider they don't have a lot of interest in Blu Ray anymore and are focusing all their efforts on 3-D without glasses.
Well, you know, I think we should send them a petition that states that we could care less. I think I speak for a lot of people on the forum that we real film buffs don't care to watch films on our ipods. Many of us have spent thousands of dollars on home theatre equipment; hi-def 40 or 50 inch television sets. Suddenly I'm going to sit there and watch a movie on a 3 inch screen? I don't get the logic. Now streaming hi-def media onto your tv screens rather than buying dics, I can understand. But I have no desire to watch big movies on small screens.
And 3D without glasses--gee, seems like an idea whose time will come...in about 50 years. Do they really think it's on the horizon?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /t/320274/mill-creek-licenses-250-films-from-the-sony-pictures-library-for-dvd-and-blu-ray/30#post_3920706
And 3D without glasses--gee, seems like an idea whose time will come...in about 50 years. Do they really think it's on the horizon?

Surveys have shown that 3D adoption would greatly approve if the glasses weren't needed. I know I'd buy it at that point. The technology is there, but limited at the moment on viewing angles. But it's improving.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /t/320274/mill-creek-licenses-250-films-from-the-sony-pictures-library-for-dvd-and-blu-ray/30#post_3920706
I think I speak for a lot of people on the forum that we real film buffs don't care to watch films on our ipods., I can understand. But I have no desire to watch big movies on small screens.
Of course, I agree wholeheartedly, but I really think we are in danger of becoming a minority. It's a shame, but we are already raising generations that will be perfectly content getting all their entertainment and information needs via a mobile source. And manufacturers and suppliers will continue to do as they've done since the 60's, cater to the fickle whims of youth above all else.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Professor Echo said:
Of course, I agree wholeheartedly, but I really think we are in danger of becoming a minority. It's a shame, but we are already raising generations that will be perfectly content getting all their entertainment and information needs via a mobile source. And manufacturers and suppliers will continue to do as they've done since the 60's, cater to the fickle whims of youth above all else.
They cater to the folks who are spending the money.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by Derek M Germano /t/320274/mill-creek-licenses-250-films-from-the-sony-pictures-library-for-dvd-and-blu-ray/30#post_3920664
I wish someone would get around to a Blu-ray release of A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH.

and i hope that someone is Criterion

moviepas

Supporting Actor
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)] I wish someone would get around to a Blu-ray release of [/COLOR]A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH

Rumors are that Criterion are along with Colonel Blimp. Time will tell, I guess. Right place for it for the best results.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks