1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Miike and more Asian Cult Cinema in Boston

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jason Seaver, May 22, 2003.

1. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Well-Known Member

I love living here. Not only did Boston finally get a couple really good mainstream theaters a couple years ago, but the opportunities to see non-mainstream movies keep expanding. For now, the guys who program the Coolidge are starting a new program - "Allston Cinema Underground", with the first program being "Ass Kicking Asian Summer". Saturday Matinees (well, 4pm shows) have already started; Friday/Saturday evening features and Wednesday evening features start in June.

Of course, most papers don't have listings for the Allston Cinema, so I missed Jet Li in Shaolin Temple 3: North And South Shaolin last week. I didn't even realize it was still open; I believe it used to be a Showcase property which got knocked down to second-run when the nice places started opening up (it might be in Fenway's exclusivity zone), then got sold off. Last I heard, it was running Bollywood movies. I've gone past it a few times and, I'll admit, it's probably at the bottom of the list where Boston-area theaters are concerned. But, where else are you going to see this stuff on the big screen with a crowd?

Schedule and other information is here: http://www.crowned.org/allston/index.html

17 May: Shoalin Temple 3: North And South Shaolin (Jet Li)
    24 May: The Master Strikes
    31 May: Enter The Fat Dragon (Sammo Hung; I am all over this)
    4 June: Sex And Zen
    6 June: Riki Oh: The Story Of Ricky
    7 June: The Dragon, The Hero
    7 June: Riki Oh: The Story Of Ricky
    11 June: Mr. Vampire Pt. 3
    13 June: Fudoh: The Next Generation (Takashi Miike)
    14 June: Heart Of The Dragon
    14 June: Fudoh: The Next Generation (Takashi Miike)
    18 June: Witch From Nepal (Chow Yun-Fat)
    20 June: Ichi The Killer (Takashi Miike; I fear this movie)
    21 June: Snake Deadly Act
    21 June: Ichi The Killer (Takashi Miike)
    25 June: Devil Fetus
    27 June: Versus
    28 June: Yes Madam! (Michelle Yeoh, Cynthia Rothrock)
    28 June: Versus