What's new

Migrating files from one iMac to another (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I just picked up a new iMac when they were released on Wednesday. I have an iMac I got last year that I want to migrate some of the files from it over to the new one.

I know they have a Migration tool that allows you to connect between the two machines via Firewire or over your ethernet connection but I am not sure if you can be selective in what you migrate over.

Currently on my old machine I have Snow Leopard and Parallels with Windows XP. I want to just import the Mac files like my address book, emails that have in my inbox in Mail, photos, etc. but not Parallels or XP. I also have a back up that I made to an external drive with Super Duper of my old iMac.

So the question is what is the best way to migrate over specific files from one iMac to another where I am not overriding the program on the new machine, just adding programs that I have on the old one to the new one and importing the data to support the same programs from one to the other and at the same time exclude Parallels and XP?

Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I used the Migration tool to transfer from my backup of my old iMac to my new one. Now I have to figure out what I am going to do to remove XP and install Windows 7.

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
you could simply boot into windows 7 cd and start the install from there. when your system needs to reboot just make sure you hold down the option key and select windows (not the cd). it will finish the install and your done. During the setup process you will be asked which partition you want to install windows 7 on. there is a link for advanced options. after you click on it it will give you the option to format the partition. Format it and do your install. when it is all done insert your mac osx cd and let it install the bootcamp drivers.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is XP installed soley in Parallels or via BootCamp? If the former, Parallels has a Remove menu option to delete a virtual machine. If the latter, delete the partition with Disk Utility and re-run BootCamp.

Or is there more to unpack from your question :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks