What's new

Midnite Movies (1 Viewer)

Ronn.W

Second Unit
Anybody have a complete set of MGM MM's? I don't have a complete set, but I have all of the ones I want. 35 discs, about a dozen are the single releases and the rest are all the doubles. The bulk of them are the Corman/Price Poe releases, followed by the classic sci-fi and odd horror releases. I've got just about everything aside from the biker/Frankie Avalon type releases.

Anybody still trying to complete their set? What titles are people missing that they want?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Apparently the series isn't dead and we will be getting a new lineup for Halloween. The source at another board wouldn't give any titles but he did say they were all horror films. No beach, pirate or biker flicks.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well that's a positive rumor at least but I'm not holding my breath.

These are bleak times for cult Horror on video with Anchor Bay recently gobbled up by Starz (I can kiss that planned remastered Hammer set goodbye :frowning: )and Blue Underground pretty much going out of business.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
More rumors here but.....

Apparently "Starz" is going to keep the Anchor Bay name and Euro line going. Also, Lustig just did an interview with someone (can't remember who) and said they are not going out of business but they are cutting back on releases. They've got an upcoming SE of LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE, a 2-disc SE of Argento's THE STENDHAL SYNDROME and four Jess Franco titles (CECILIA, EUGENIE DE SADE, CANNIBALS and WOMEN BEHIND BARS).

The last year was certainly very bad for cult films but they is a major rebound going on. Apparently AB's Mario Bava Collection sold very well and another is coming. The Severin Emanuelle and Franco titles are selling with more coming. BCI finally started their Naschy Collection with VENGEANCE OF THE ZOMBIES and THE NIGHT OF THE WEREWOLF with more titles due in September and October. CasaNegra continued their Mexican horror films last month with THE MAN AND THE MONSTER as well as THE LIVING COFFIN and I believe we have two more rounds coming starting 9/25 with THE WORLD OF THE VAMPIRES and THE LIVING HEAD.

Other titles include a 2-disc SE of MALPERTUIS (sequel to DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS), the 2-disc/3 version FRANKENSTEIN VS. BARAGON/FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD, WHO CAN KILL A CHILD?, BEYOND THE DOOR plus quite a few others.

For those wanting double features you've got several companies releasing "Grindhouse" films with two films each plus you've always got Something Weird who release double and triple features every month.

The big studios are apparently also going to give us some big titles. We know about Warner's Cult line coming up but apparently we're getting another classic horror and cult classic box at Halloween. FRANKENSTEIN 1970 is one of the rumored titles. Columbia has Volume 2 of their "Icons of Horror" line with two Peter Lorre films. Also, MGM had several special editions already done before the sale and these here are ready to go and just need a release date so perhaps this will happen this year.

Edit to Add: I went back and re-read about the Warner set at Halloween and FRANKENSTEIN 1970 (with commentary) is apparently going to be "in a box of five (or more) films".

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I am glad I am not the only horror fan that feels dissapointed about DVD releases lately. Apart from MM not being released, I am really dissapointed that there are no horror releases that I want to buy anymore, mainly slasher movies.

There are so many unreleased 80s slashers, it is unbelievable. Slaughter High, Curtains, Final Exam, Night School etc. Lions Gate owns most of them I believe but I have not heard anything about releases from any company. Anchor bay has released Madman and Maniac etc in the past, but dont seem to be releasing any slashers lately, neither do the big studios.

I feel horror releases are in a huge slump at the moment. I can only hope it changes.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
From the Classic Horror Film Boards:

Tom Weaver says:
""I must plead guilty to having lost track of what has/hasn't been announced yet, but over the weekend my homeboys in the retailing world were telling me about all sorts of upcoming titles that were not known to me, including a big Roger Corman set (lots of exploitation titles but also PREMATURE BURIAL and X-RAY EYES), a Vincent Price set (PHIBES movies, TWICE TOLD TALES, several more), a PHARAOH'S CURSE-CURSE OF THE FACELESS MAN double-bill, THE VAMPIRE-THE RETURN OF DRAC, a FLY set with the (I think) never-before-released CURSE OF THE FLY, a special edition of the 1960 LOST WORLD, a PHANTOM FROM 10,000 LEAGUES-BEAST WITH A MILLION EYES combo -- and several others that I haven't been able to retain, the titles were coming at me too fast and furious. (Wish I'd had a pen and paper!)"

Then From Jameson281

"[Haunted Palace and Tower of London (1962) are] in the Price box set. I don't know if these are being made available separately. The Price set might include DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS (U.S. version only), but I have no official confirmation on that.

The Roger Corman promotion that Tom mentioned will include a couple of previously unreleased titles in addition to the reissues.

Both RETURN OF DRAC and THE VAMPIRE will be using brand-spankin' new hi-def transfers. I discovered original 1950's documentation establishing 1.85:1 as the proper aspect ratio, but I'm not sure what they chose to use for the DVD.

PHANTOM FROM 10,000 LEAGUES should also be a new hi-def transfer from original elements, so you'll be able to toss those public domain versions..

I was told that the CURSE OF THE FACELESS MAN/PHAROAH'S CURSE double bill was cancelled, but if Tom is hearing about it from retailers it must be back on.

There should be a couple more Midnite Movie double features coming pairing a previously released title with a new-to-DVD title.""

and from Fangoria comes this additional list of double features:

THE BEAST WITHIN/THE BAT PEOPLE
GORILLA AT LARGE/MYSTERY AT MONSTER ISLAND
THE HOUSE ON SKULL MOUNTAIN/THE MEPHISTO WALTZ
YONGARY, MONSTER FROM THE DEEP/KONGA

Geeze, Fox and MGM are already kickin' Halloween DVD butt - and we haven't even heard what Warners is doing. Start saving now folks!!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
From DVD DRIVE-IN:

MGM (as distributed by Fox) has finally announced a batch of Midnite Movies double features for release on September 11. These will include: RETURN OF DRACULA/THE VAMPIRE (John Beal) (new hi-def transfers), THE BEAST WITH A MILLION EYES/PHANTOM FROM 10,000 LEAGUES (new hi-def transfer for PHANTOM), PHARAOH'S CURSE/CURSE OF THE FACELESS MAN, THE BEAST WITHIN/THE BAT PEOPLE, KONGA/YONGARY, MONSTER FROM THE DEEP. One the same date, MGM will release Roger Corman and Vincent Price box sets of previously released titles. As mentioned earlier, MGM will also release single Midnite Movies of WITCHFINDER GENERAL and FOOD OF THE GODS. More details and cover art to follow soon

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
YOWZA!!!
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
Who owns The Town That Dreaded Sundown?
I've been waiting forever for this one to come out on dvd.

Will K

Screenwriter
Me, too! The movie still unnerves the hell out of me, even with the silly police business intertwined with the stalking scenes. I thought maybe MGM had it, but who knows the way these things change hands.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
DVD Planet has pre-orders for the 9/11/07 release of films under the Midnite Movies double features line from 20th Century Fox but the titles are different from what has been mentioned so far. They are:

A Blueprint For Murder (1953)/Man In The Attic (1953)
Chosen Survivors (1974)/The Earth Dies Screaming (1965)
Devils Of Darkness (1965)/Witchcraft (1964)
Tales From The Crypt (1972)/Vault Of Horror (1973)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Thomas, those are the Fox catalog double features, not the Midnite Movie line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks