What's new

"Midnight Caller"? (1 Viewer)

Esten

Supporting Actor
Midnight Caller
What with Anchor Bay releasing alot of CBS shows, is there any chance of this? I was digging through some tapes from the 80s, and ran across an episode of this, and was quite impressed.
EDIT: It was indeed NBC. My mistake.

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure I'd buy it, but I would at least rent it. I never watched it during it's original run, but saw several in re-runs (on Lifetime, I think) later and I really liked it.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I also liked this show quite a bit. I'd buy it.

"Good night America, wherever you are"

Esten

Supporting Actor
Asked Warner in the previous chat about it, and as with everything.... no plans. :frowning:

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I loved this show. I caught it when I taped episodes of it (and then later taped over) when it came on the WB station at 2 amd in the morning (five days a week) back in 1999.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This is one of my top 3 most wanted unreleased TV shows on DVD. I saw some S1 repeats of Midnight Caller on ITV a few years ago. It was perfect scheduling showing it late at night. Not because it was rubbbish, far from it. It's best watched late at night.

I noticed in the Home Theater Forum chat with Warner Brothers last year and the year before that they had no plans to release it. Regarding TVShowsOnDVD's news article from a few weeks ago about stalled TV series on DVD I hope Warner Brothers sub-license Midnight Caller out to other DVD distibutors. If Shout Factory were able to release it on DVD they would do a very good job with it. I bought the Miracles: Complete Series boxset a few years ago which Shout Factory made, and that was really good.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Would love to have this show. But like many others I want, the studios have no interest in releasing it.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Midnight Caller was a good show with great opening theme music. A smooth jazz instrumental, if memory serves by Earle Hagen?

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Otto
Flashgear said:
Midnight Caller was a good show with great opening theme music. A smooth jazz instrumental, if memory serves by Earle Hagen?
No, the "Midnight Caller" theme was by Rick Braun. You're probably thinking of the Earle Hagen tune, "Harlem Nocturne," which served as the theme for "Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer," starring Stacy Keach (another show I wish would come out on DVD).
I really enjoyed "Midnight Caller," and I would snap up a DVD release of it in a heartbeat.:)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Also loved the show and would buy it on DVD.
I'm sure they could get the cast together for a documentary at least. I interviewed Wendy Kilbourne not too long ago and I asked her about it. She mentioned how much she liked doing the show.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I guess this doesn't have anything to do with True Grit. :D That's the first thing I thought of ...when "little sister" is going to perform all the parts of her play if Rooster will stop drinking and he says "let it go" or something. :D :frowning: Anyway...carrry on...

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Jon Martin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also loved the show and would buy it on DVD.
I'm sure they could get the cast together for a documentary at least. I interviewed Wendy Kilbourne not too long ago and I asked her about it. She mentioned how much she liked doing the show.
Jon, is your interview with Wendy Kilbourne available to view/read on the web?
Just done a forum search for Midnight Caller threads and found this one had a few replies in it, so I'm posting in this one. I know there are several unreleased shows which also deserve to come out on DVD. I'm just frustrated and angry with Warner Brothers because it seems like they have no interest in releasing Midnight Caller on DVD, yet they won't let anyone else release it (Shout! Factory would do a great job with releasing the show on DVD).
The Rick Braun theme tune is among my favourite TV theme tunes.
Ideally watched late at night Midnight Caller wasn't a glossy lightweight drama series, it had substance. I've only seen a small number of episodes (when it was shown late at night on ITV and I think a bit of a scene from the last episode when Midnight Caller was shown on the BBC back in the late 80's and early 90's) and just loved the atmosphere. I've wondered if the show was actually filmed on location in San Francisco. Checked on the IMDb a couple of days ago and in the filming locations section it does say that the show was filmed in San Francisco as well at studios in the city.
Looking in the Complete Directory book about network and cable TV shows Midnight Caller never made the Top 30 US network chart during it's three seasons (from 1988 to 1991).

Dignan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Hedges
Loved Midnight Caller when it was on. Would definitely buy it if they put it out on DVD.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
If a DVD set for the first season was produced, then I'd like to see interviews with Gary Cole, Arthur Taxier, Dennis Dun and Wendy Kilbourne, along with other members of the cast including guest stars. Regarding the design of a front cover I think the ideal look would be a night-time scene of San Francisco in the background, and the lettering on the menu screens to be in the same style as the show's logo, seen in the main cast title sequence.

Also, if there were 30 second teasers before the start of every episode I'd like to see those included, and as well the correct Lorimar logo at the end of the end credits. In the back of my mind I thought Lorimar had something to do with the show. On the IMDb page for Midnght Caller it mentions Lorimar. As the show started in the 1988-89 season I would guess each episode ended with the Lorimar-Telepictures "fireworks" logo, with the second and third seasons' episodes ending with the Lorimar "marble" logo.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WaveCrest /forum/thread/202659/midnight-caller#post_3596829
Jon, is your interview with Wendy Kilbourne available to view/read on the web?
Just realized I never responded to this.
Yes, it is. You can read it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks