What's new

Mid-range Help Needed (1 Viewer)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I have a Yamaha 5740 receiver with a JBL SCS160SI 6.1 speaker system. Every since I hooked it up I have had troubles hearing some of the voices in some movies. My first thought was that it would sound better once I had the carpet installed. It did not. Today I ran the Avia audio calibration programs and balanced my system. I used the SPL meter to set the speaker levels. Everything went well except for the “Low Frequency Sweep” It starts at a high frequency and slowly lowers until it is out of the sub range. The sound is supposed to be the same level the whole time. Mine start dropping out at about 155Hz and really is gone at about 140Hz. It picks back up at around 80Hz. Do I need a different center speaker with more mid-range? My current speakers have dual 3" mud-range. My sub is a 12". What would you recommend to go with my current JBLs? Is there a HT equalizer with digital inputs?
Thanks, Dave

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Thats a huge hole, you've got to fix that. Could be a malfunction in the receiver's crossover, and fortunately that is easy to diagnose. Try the sweep with all speakers set to "large". All this does is defeat the receiver's crossover so that the sats get everything. Also, be sure to put your sub's crossover to its maximum frequency and it may start filling the hole from below.

Leroy R

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend that has a Yamaha reciever and JBL speakers and I noticed the same thing about his system. It sounds flat and empty compared to my Sony Reciever with a variety of unmatched speakers. I tried playing around with his reciever setup but never could get it to sound right to me. He was content with how it sounded so I guess that is all that matters.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Well I tried changing the subs crossover & it didn't do much. I went out and purchased a new center speaker with 10 days to return it. It is a JBL EC25. It has a much bigger box witb 2 - 5" midrange speakers. After I set the SPL, I messed with the center speaker equalizer settings (the only speaker that has one) and re-ran the sweep test. It still dropped out some, but not nearly as bad as before. I just finished watching Matrix 3 and the voices are much easier to hear. Tomorrow I will try changing the speakers to Large.
Thanks,
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks