1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft Kills Windows Home Server

Discussion in 'Computers' started by mattCR, Jul 9, 2012.

1. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    Well, who didn't see this coming? Frankly, Windows Home Server (original) was one of the most unique MS products ever released. With drive pooling, file-level redundancy, lack of drive letters, unique network share methods.. it was a real interesting animal for MIcrosoft.
    With HS2011, they killed off most of those functions, and the product fell out of favor, and quickly dropped in price (with many holding onto HS2008) Even at $39 in most places, it wasn't flying off the shelf.
    Now, WHS has been officially killed. 2012 will bring only Server Essentials.. a slight price difference ($425 for the OS vs. $39) putting it mostly out of reach as the backbone of a home expandable NAS.

http://www.wegotserved.com/2012/07/05/microsoft-draws-windows-home-server-era-close/

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I have loved my Home Server. $400! I guess its a good thing my wife works for Microsoft.