What's new

Microsoft Confirms they don't want HD DVD or Blu-ray to survive!? (1 Viewer)

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
Which is what I've said multiple times. Only time will tell what thier real agenda is. There is no basis to either defend or promote either side of the discussion. Hell, Microsoft is large enough a company to have people pushing both agendas at the same time.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Then better say it only once. :)
You make it look like you were discussing the matter after all in this thread.

Cees

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

HD-reviews should always be "unbiased". It´s sad if reviewers use their HD-reviews for preaching against the "other format". I don´t see the point behind their (DVDtalk) statement.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I don't think Microsoft has any hidden agenda. Microsoft's agenda is to promote Microsoft. There is nothing evil or underhanded about that. Microsoft has a multi-threaded plan for the future. That plan includes promoting HD DVD now and downloads in the future if it goes that way. They are covering all the options. Thats just smart business.

To say that they don't have a stake in HD DVD is silly. Not only have the developed the primary codec used for HD DVD, VC-1. They helped develop the HDI interactive format. (BTW Disney had a big hand in the development of HDI also) And they have also spent millions promoting the format.

I don't see any reason not to take Microsoft's comments a face value. They have never been shy about their intentions in the past.

Doug

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. Can anyone point out any ACTION (as opposed to talk) Microsoft has taken to destroy HDDVD? Didn't they offer to work with Sony to put their codec on BR?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
No where did I state Bill Hunt was paid by Sony. What you imply from my statement I cannot help.

Manus

Second Unit
" HD-reviews should always be "unbiased". It´s sad if reviewers use their HD-reviews for preaching against the "other format". I don´t see the point behind their (DVDtalk) statement. "

I agree with the first part , but is it actually likely that DBits will give the format they dislike the most a fair crack of the whip ? I think their statement implies that they suspect this to be the case too .

~M~

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

There are plenty of Sony and Blu-ray insiders posting over there on a daily basis, too. But I guess that's okay.

Vincent

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Paidgeek and company keep a close watch too. I think that's part of the reason AVS is such a mess. Too many interested parties stirring the pot, not that this place isn't starting to get messy as well. Oh well, someday this war will end and we can resume our regularly scheduled program. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Shawn,
IMO, the posting environment around here is a lot better than it was a year ago and I take exception to you implying otherwise. If there are posts being made that cross the line then report them, instead of just complaining about HTF becoming messy around here.

Crawdaddy

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

Actually it's just lately since Bill Hunt first took a stance that it's gotten a bit mean spirited around here. For whatever reason, that seems to have gotten everyone riled up. I'm sorry if you can't see it, but I'll keep in mind that I'm not allowed to express any of my opinions about HTF around here. Your post has surely shown me what a friendly place this still is. ;)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
:confused: Everyone? Here?
Riled up?

Did you see the thread in question? In the end "everyone" was showing each other photographs of their babies.

If that was a war zone, they must have been trying to mimick the usual *movie* trenches code: show each other photograph of baby or babe.

Cees

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Interesting, so now you're accusing us of not allowing you to express your opinion about HTF. Like any forum, we need our members to help us keep this place a pleasant place for everyone. When there are problems we hope our membership will help to ensure such an environment by letting us know whenever problems pop up around here.

Anyway, I'm sorry you feel that way about us, but we try our best.

Crawdaddy

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And, after some very upset people expressed their opinions, the thread and the discussion went on. Several went on disagreeing with Bill, several agreed, many expressed the opinion that their preference lays somewhere else.

If you really want to prove "your" point by selecting a few (maybe even up to ten) posts without looking at the whole discussion, or if you're honestly not able to see how it all developed, then indeed I understand that you personally get confused and feel obliged to say "that this place isn't starting to get messy".

Except: sorry, but it isn't really messy. Well, not very. :)

Cees

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

For me Digitalbits has always been mainly news/information-site and if/when they´ve HD-reviews, they should be 100% unbiased.

For me, there are HD-reviews and then there are forum-talk and "editorial/columns".

Reviewer can of course make some comparisons (based on *facts* etc) if you have both versions (Blu-ray/HD DVD) of the same title or give some well documented thoughts, but at least I´m not very keen to read some biased speculation ("This title has MPEG-2 codec. It must be inferior, since I read that in the forum!" etc).

But of course, review is always just one opinion, it´s never 100% truth of anything like that. They´re always merely guidelines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks