What's new

Miami Vice (2006) (2 Viewers)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Personally, I think this looks outstanding on all fronts. You know it's Mann the minute that helicopter shot comes on and we hear that dialogue, which is something that could only come out of a Mann character's mouth. The sense of atmosphere is palpable. He can do "cool" like no one else.

That trailer looks A LOT like Bad Boys 2...deux.
Jason, as I'm sure you know, Michael Mann is most definitely NOT Michael Bay. There won't be rat-screwing jokes or embalmed bodies flying around in the streets.

What the trailer doesn't clearly state, is whether Mann is going to retain the happy/upbeat atmosphere of the show, or go with the introspective/melancholy approach that was pervasive in Heat and Collateral. I would personally prefer the latter.

Regards,

Nathan

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
I beg to differ, while some of Miami Vice was upbeat the majority of the show was about as downbeat as you can get. It was the first show I remember that almost always ended negatively.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
Thumbs up on this. Looks like another fine movie from one of my favorite filmmakers. Miami Vice was a favorite show of mine as a kid, and this looks like a great update. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Must be the worst designed site ever. Tried to download the trailer and couldn't reach to it easily, so I didn't try any further.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, having BMW host a trailer is one thing. Having a site that requires you to enter your birthdate and be over 21 is just piss-poor strategy. They're denying themselves a whole market of underage people who are too dumb to lie when it asks.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I'd pretty much watch Michael Mann with a camcorder running around filming jaywalkers so it's no surprise that I'm totally hyped to see this flick. I was a big fan of the TV show and it's comforting that he's at the helm for for this movie version. Also, it doesn't hurt that they'll be cruising around Miami in a brand new Ferrari F430 Spyder. :emoji_thumbsup:

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I guess Mann must have decided he really likes using digital video. I guess I would have liked to see this made on film, but I loved Collateral, so I'm sure this will turn out just fine. I actually had no idea they were making this until I saw this thread.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
The series aspired to be more than the writing and budget allowed. It was always downbeat but it didn't have the depth to justify it. The movie will rectify that.

The music and lack of 80's clothes are the only non-MV things about the trailer. The car shot is a quote (a beautiful one thanks to video), and the speedboat behind the credits is a reference to the series' credits, I think.

(And Bacardi wants to sell Bacardi. They don't care who sees the trailer. Their exclusive is over anyway.)

Edit: Just watched it again. I love that a moment of silence is given for that gorgeous car shot I can't stop talking about.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

I know what you mean. That just FEELS like the show and I can't wait to see Mann's visual style all over this film. This may be the film I'm looking most forward to next summer.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
tossed on this one. Not sure what I think of the trailer, but Ferrel? I just can't see liking that.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
I cannot stand Collin Ferrel. I hate the guy. All 4 foot 3 inches of him. But MM writing and directing means I have see the film.

I just hope and pray this film is not PG-13.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Actually Im a bit disappointed with Tubbs.I was hoping JF would be sporting a cooler look - short dreads or something less "plain"

todd stone

Screenwriter
everyone in the theater I was in laughed and scoffed at the idea and some booed.

I don't think this will do well. It is just too.....cheesey. And I loved Miami Vice growing up.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
The official poster...
miami-vice-poster.jpg

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone in the theater I was in laughed and scoffed at the idea and some booed.
I understand why the idea of a Miami Vice film might get some responses like this. I mean, it sounds like something that would appear as a joke in another movie (like the T.J. Hooker: The Movie gag that was in Charlie's Angels). However, Michael Mann's name attached as writer and director has lifted this above the ranks of SWAT and The Dukes of Hazzard movies to something that could be pretty damn good. I have yet to be disappointed in one of his films so far, and even the somewhat questionable casting could be forgotten if Vice is half as enentertaining and well made as his other films.

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator
Everyone in the theater I was in laughed and scoffed at the idea and some booed.
I understand why the idea of a Miami Vice film might get some responses like this. I mean, it sounds like something that would appear as a joke in another movie (like the T.J. Hooker: The Movie gag that was in Charlie's Angels). However, Michael Mann's name attached as writer and director has lifted this above the ranks of SWAT and The Dukes of Hazzard movies to something that could be pretty damn good. I have yet to be disappointed in one of his films so far, and even the somewhat questionable casting could be forgotten if Vice is half as entertaining and well made as his other films.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I don't know what the booing was about, but the laughing is understandable. My friend laughed when I told him the Miami Vice trailer had me excited. As awareness goes up I don't think that attitude will stick around. Some of it could have been affectionate, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks