What's new

MIB II: How Horrendous Was it? (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
as someone has mentioned before the short in front of the movie was so much better then the movie itself.

JACOB

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I would never call it horrendous, just a poor film. It didn't expand on the first or go to new places, it completely rehashed ideas from teh first. There were a few funny moments, but with the lack of invention present it was just dull.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
If MIB was the final product, MIIB was the rough draft.

Same exact movie, just shorter(and reverse the J&K roles)

Brenton

Screenwriter
When you guys say "short", are you talking about the campy little alien documentary at the beginning that told the backstory of that one alien race, or are you talking about an actual short?

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
MiBII was not inventive and didn't break any new ground in terms of story. It tried to rehash and play out some fo the existing jokes from the first movie, but did't even take those same jokes to the next level.

Unfortunatley, it doesn't really do much with the 2 principal characters, J &K - Discovering who their vastly different personalities would "bounce" off each other in the first movie was a huge part of the fun. The sequel leads to to the same expecations in this regard, but doesn't deliver - they barely "bounce" off each other at all.

Seems as though Barry Sonnenfeld's work as suddenly gone downhill since the first MiB film. He seems to have lost his freshness and inventiveness with much of his work.. He took an already-wining film franchise like MiB and made it just SLIGHTLY less interesting than the first film..

Elbert

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
When you guys say "short", are you talking about the campy little alien documentary at the beginning that told the backstory of that one alien race, or are you talking about an actual short?
It was an animated short about a couple of aliens. I understand that it was only shown in select theaters. At my showing, the crowd got a bigger laugh out of the short then they did with MIB 2.

Dean

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Saw it on the plane ride home from Miami.

It was incredibly awful -- but then again, I
thought the same of the original.

I will not be reviewing this title.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I liked it. It's definitely a straight re-hash of the original, but there are some IMO very funny gags, and some very inventive use of CGI.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, guys, but I really liked MIIB. It has some great lines, the plot is perfectly okay, and it's an entertaining waste of a couple of hours. Probably my favourite 'park your brain at the door' movie of the last year. And unless I happened to pick a day when every moron in the area went to the movie theatre, the audience I was in loved it as well. And the millions of bucks it took around the world weren't all from brain-dead zombies.

Why all this bile about an innocuous movie that a large number of people liked? The trashing it's received in this thread makes it sound like it's on a par with Howard the Duck, The Avengers movie et al.

There's a serious point to this - if there isn't a sensible scaling of values, how do we know when to trust the judgements of people?

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
So what you are saying is that one must be a drooling lobotomized drone in order to enjoy this film?
No, just that you need to act like one for 90 minutes.
;)
My main complaint was with the editing. It made the film feel very rushed. Probably my favourite moment was only up on screen for about a fraction of a second.
"All is lost!!!"
If you caught that line then you were definitely paying strict attention.
Otherwise, a really fun flick.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
They should have left either Tommy Lee Jones or Will Smith out of the film and teamed the other one with Frank the Pug for the whole film, IMHO. Loved Frank.
I didn't care overly much for the first film, and the second one fell short of the first. My reaction is similar to the way I felt about the Batman flicks: Tepid toward the first film, but as the sequels come along, the original gets better and better by comparison. :)
Jan

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I loved the original, never saw the sequel, but plan on picking it up hopefully this week sight unseen.

Denny_S

Stunt Coordinator
(...hmmmm, trying to remember how MIIB ended......oh well)

Saw this last summer, then I saw 'Eight Legged Freaks', enjoyed ELF more........then I rented ELF last week and actually fell asleep midway through (zzzzzzzzzz...).

My point :
If MIIB is cheap enough, I may buy just to have both Pts.1&2, otherwise, I would recommend it as a rental.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
So what you are saying is that one must be a drooling lobotomized drone in order to enjoy this film?
No! Not at all!

Rather serious misunderstanding here, and certainly I had no intention of offending anyone, so let me elaborate.

Not every movie has to be of the intellectual standard of The Seventh Seal or Last Year in Marienbad. Nor does it have to be faithful to the book, have a profound social message, a plot that you talk about for days afterwards, etc, etc. Some movies like e.g. Airplane or Top Secret are just enjoyable in their own right and perfect to relax with when you've had a tiring day and just want to switch off. I think MIIB is one of this final group of movies.

I just don't think it deserves fierce criticism. Okay, some folks don't personally find the movie funny - fine, this is a valid personal opinion. But it's hardly fair to assume that everyone else will find the same (what was everyone else in the movie theatre doing when you sat there in stony-faced silence?). It's not like, say, Howard: A new Breed of Hero or the Avengers, where *everybody* obviously hated it. All I was saying is temper the opinions, guys. If you hated it, say so, but don't imply that *everyone else* will find the same unless it really *is* a turkey.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
It might depend on how much you liked the first one. If you only "liked" the first one you will probably "hate" MIIB. If you "loved" the first then you probably be disappointed with it, as I was. Maybe it will get better with another viewing, some films do tend to have the effect. I don't know if I will be buying it. Maybe a couple of weeks after it's out I'll be able to pick it up at one of the local pawn shops for $7-8. It's nowhere near as bad as BE, at least they didn't tilt the camera for most of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks