What's new

Miami Vice on DVD... but only Region 2 (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was able to record the show off of Spike tv. Even after all of these years the show still holds up.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Wasn't there a change in the character that played their boss in the later seasons? I seem to remember going from Edward James Almos to maybe the guy from Seasame Street? Or am I thinking about the guy from Sanford and Son?

Help!

Peace,

DM

Mike K

Agent
As best I can recall , Edward James Almos played Lt. Casteo(sp?) the entire series.

In the pilot though the role was played by a different actor - whome I can picture in my head - but I cannot recall his name.

His disposition though was the total opposite of Almos version of the character - in the pilot he was a real hot-head , balling out Crockett most of the time.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Gregory Sierra portrayed Lt.Rodriguez who was their original boss. He was on for four episodes until getting killed. According to www.tvtome.com he reportedly didn't like living in Miami.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, but there was no warning that his death was coming. It set the tone for the series, killing off a major character like that. He was around just long enough to learn to like him, and then bam! It knocked viewers off balance, and moved Miami Vice out of formula. As much as I liked the character, the fact that they were willing to take that risk made the show more attractive to me as a viewer - I couldn't take it for granted. At least that's how I felt at the time.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
What made Miami Vice so unique for me was that they used the actual singers of songs they played. I remember watching Knight Rider and they would play a popular song with some unknown singer. It just ruined it for me.

Robin W.

Grip
I wish they bring out the complete series. I don't have much series on DVD, because I don't like the ones they bring out in Holland. They are mostly from the 90's. But I love the 80's and I would love to have Miami Vice on DVD.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I want this so desperately. I tried taping the reruns off Spike, but I only got about 50 episodes. I want the entire run and every off-the-wall plotline and guest star on DVD with all the original music.

One of my favorite episodes was "Phil The Shill", which featured Phil Collins as the sleazy host of a game show called "Rat Race". Emo Phillips, one of my favorite comedians, also appeared in the episode as a "Rat Race" contestant.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

The best guest-star episode for me was "The Prodigal Son". Penn Jillette as a drug dealer and both Gene Simmons and the late Peter Allen...

DanHaya

Second Unit
I was really upset with Spike took the show off the air. I was going to start recording them onto my new DVD recorder once they worked their way back to the first season. I think they were still on season four when it was pulled.

When it does come back on the air (probably somewhere else besides Spike), I'm gonna be all over it...unless a DVD set is announced in the meantime! :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Dan, I didn't want to wait until they started over. I started in the middle of the 3rd season and worked my way through. Luckily, they stopped airing it a week after I finished. Not so lucky with 7 Days. They stopped it with 6 episodes left for me to record. Although, they are airing 7 Days again. But, it is only in the first season and the eps I need are in season 3. So I have a few more months to wait.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
You might want to check TVShowsOnDvd.com right about now. They got a massive book from Universal talking about all of their great TV shows that will be coming out on DVD (this book was 35-40 pages!), and Miami Vice is prominent in the book. It's a'comin'. But, no further details are available just yet.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1580

I'm not interested in Miami Vice personally--I'm glad for the rest of you, though--but I can't wait to see what else is in the book! Dave, two quickies if you can: Airwolf and Leave It To Beaver? Please let them be there!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Greg, one of those two are in there. I'm frankly surprised that the other one isn't. But then again, Night Gallery isn't in there, and we KNOW it's coming. So perhaps that doesn't mean anything.

Which one's in the book? You'll know before the holiday weekend is over. :wink:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Kick. Ass. I knew you guys wouldn't leave us high and dry over the long weekend! Not that you don't deserve the break, but waiting for this news would drive us all nuts! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks