What's new

Miami Vice Officially Announced! (now w/Feb. date) (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Maybe when they stop with the original music, starting in Season 2, they will have more money to use better packaging.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Crazy...the one show that I thought FOR SURE would have music rights problems is intact. But tons of shows that I wouldn't have given a second thought to their having music rights problems are compromised. As I said...crazy.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I never thought I would see the day! I'm watching season 1 on my laptop as I type this.

Bring on Season 2!

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
How does it look?

I have read that it doesn't look good, but there are new shows that don't look that great...

Patrick.C

Second Unit
What you've read is basically correct. My opinion is, it looks better than most 80's shows because it was shot on film (more movie-like), but it could use a restoration. I'm not as picky as most of the reviewers, so I'm extremely happy with it.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Oddly enough, most movies and TV shows shot in the 1980s look bad, as a general rule, compared to counterparts in the 60s, 70s or 90s. It's odd, but something I've noticed.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I picked it up today. I am very pleased with what i have watched so far which is thru cool runnin' on disc 1 side b. The transfers while not great look pretty good and i have no problem with them so far.

The show seems to hold up very nicely still. This still might be the best cop show ever made even by todays standards. I bet this set sells very well so there should be no reason not to have the music intact on future sets.

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
UNREAL! I have only watched the pilot so far but am quite pleased with the video. I would not agree with most reviewers on their take. 99.9 percent very pleasing:) The audio floored me. Also the packaging is fine. No complaints here. Small and tight; stands right out. You would be crazy not to buy this. I cannot stop myself from watching .

BRING ON SEASON 2!

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I watched the pilot and part of episode 2. I used to own the VHS pilot (a big seller in the mid 80s).

One thing I noticed in the pilot...and I want to make sure it isn't just me...but in the scene just prior to the "In the Air Tonight" driving scene, Don Johnson is sitting in the Ferrari talking to Bill Smitrovich's character. There seems to be a slight "pause" toward the end of their conversation. It looks like a layer change, but seems to be in a rather awkward spot. Could somebody confirm for me?

I'd have to say that I think the transfers look pretty darn decent. A full restoration (like they did for Seinfeld) would be awesome, but unlikely. We've been spoiled watching too many movies with pristine transfers.

I still love this show as much as I did when I was 13. A little cheesy at times, but the shows that people think are "groundbreaking" today may look cheesy in 20 years.

I'd recommend this set.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I hope Universal and music owners listen to the featurette "The Music of Vice" where Yerkovich and the narrator says how important the music is, like dialogue is important. The music replaces scenes without dialogue as if it's telling the story. Got that? The music is engrained in our memories!

Good to hear that The Rolling Stones' "Miss You" is there. I also have the laserdisc and it sounds so much better and grittier with "Miss You."

I was sampling parts of episodes and I noticed that the actual sound effects of some scenes were pretty weak compared to the music's 5.1 ("In the Air Tonight" and "Voices" ... whoo!). For example, the scene where Evan was blasting away with the automatics at the beginning of "Evan" were surprisingly soft and muted. But I'm not complaining. I'm just glad to have this on DVD!

Jonny: It did not pause at the point you described on my player so it might be your player. Check the disc on another player to test it to see if it's the disc or the player.
-

Patrick.C

Second Unit

Do yourself a favor - go ahead and get it while its cheap ($32.99 at K-Mart and BB). You'll love it. Even if you're a casual fan of the show, you'll like what you see. The first two seasons of Vice were the best of the entire run.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
What a great show...Video quality could use some cleanup. But, if the money went to getting the music rights. I can deal with it. And they are UNCUT.

Bring on Season 2

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

I couldn't agree with you more. The music to Miami Vice is a huge part of the show. I haven't watched the show in years but watched a few episodes the other night during the TV Land Vice marathon. Man did it bring back some memories. When I heard certain music being played I knew what was going to happen next in the show. I love this show and can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Okay...the "pause" I noticed during the pilot on my Sony DVD player wasn't noticeable at all on my laptop (the only other DVD player I have available to me). I am going to assume that it was a layer change, but if anyone else notices the pause I mentioned above on their player, let me know (just so I know for sure there isn't my copy).

For me, price really assisted me in making a decision to purchase this. I used to absolutely love this show, but have been wary about purchasing older material in the past. I am like a lot of people in that I simply prefer newer material because it looks and sounds better.

I am not sure how the show looked back then, Most Americans had TVs that were 20 inches or smaller. Most didn't have stereo sound of any kind. It looked great for me in the 80s.

I have watched the two episodes that follow the pilot, and I found that they looked quite a bit better (overall) in terms of picture quality.

The show looks a bit corny today, but it really got better in the later seasons.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Would that be Russ Ballard's "Voices?" I never really watched this show, but I'm tempted: to hear songs like that; and to send Universal a "music is good" message. :)

Patrick.C

Second Unit

Yep. Probably my favorite scene (and song) of the entire series. They also used Russ Ballard's "In The Night" in the first part of the Calderone two part episode.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Jeepers. I know I'm going to have to buy the show now. I can't wait to hear Voices, In the Air Tonight, and You Belong to the City (not sure when the last one shows up).

Edit: It turns up in the season 2 premiere, which just happened to be directed by Starsky!

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I watched some of the TV Land marathon and the show still held up for me. The local 24-hr K-Mart has it for a good price. I'm going to pick it up tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks